Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

The new forums are here! Give us your feedback
Rich Harris (Citywire)
Posted: 15 December 2011 14:56:56(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi there, and welcome to the new forums. We’re calling it a ‘beta’ because despite our best efforts, there’s bound to be a couple of rough edges that still need sanding down – we beg your patience, and your help tracking down the last few gremlins.

A particularly warm welcome to those of you who have been sufficiently patient with the old forums over the last 18 months to grow them into what they are today, despite the lack of

• a search box
  • an archive that's in any way usable
  • sensible forum categories
  • an edit button
  • bullet point lists!

and various other things that were absent from version 1.

Meanwhile for those of you who have been on the edges, reading the ideas and views (and sometimes epic rants) of your fellows without ever quite getting round to joining in, we hope you'll take this chance to get involved.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank our developers Cain Voong, Byron Cobb, Pete Blatchford and Pete Lewis, who have slaved over their keyboards to make this happen.
2 users thanked Rich Harris (Citywire) for this post.
Guest on 16/12/2011(UTC), mikest on 16/12/2011(UTC)
mikest
Posted: 16 December 2011 15:34:32(UTC)

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Funnily enough, I was just looking for the right forum to post my query on when I came across Rich's post; timely or what? I was wondering if anyone could tell me why Logica (LOG) should have dropped so violently (from 80 to 59p) in the last month.
Rich Harris (Citywire)
Posted: 16 December 2011 17:12:19(UTC)

Hi Mike

One of the changes we've made is to introduce a forum for discussing stocks - the best thing to do would be to head over to the stocks forum and start a new discussion on Logica.
masud butt
Posted: 16 December 2011 23:12:38(UTC)

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Thank You, all, citywire for improving.
Prof Eman
Posted: 17 December 2011 10:57:55(UTC)

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 29 post(s)
No doubt some of ther changes are useful, but the facility to reply under one's own name or psedonym/pen name or anonymous was extremely useful.
Looking at past forum posts that I have participated in, the anonymous function was used to provide information which was not standard run of the mill, but mainly based on own experiences and honest.
There are many reasons why some-one might want to use anonymity, such as politically sensitve issues or similar, and expect that future discussions will not be as lively and informative as the one's in the past.
In fact they are likely to become boring and not as useful.
I will think twice whether to bother with any forum discussions in the future. I though the facility was to give an opportunity to blow off steam. Lack of anonimity is hardly helpful to that.
Rich your reason stated -
It wasn't part of the new software, does not add up. It is not difficult to transfer a facitlity for which software already exists. If you had asked for it you would have got it.
And, in my opinion it will discourage people making useful comments.
1 user thanked Prof Eman for this post.
TeaJay on 19/12/2011(UTC)
Prof Eman
Posted: 20 December 2011 00:14:02(UTC)

Had a quick look round, but cannot work out how to start a new forum discussion.
Have I missed something?
Jeremy Bosk
Posted: 20 December 2011 20:55:18(UTC)

Was thanked: 213 time(s) in 128 post(s)
Yes, thank you all for your efforts. The formatting tools are going to be very useful.

For those who use other bulletin boards without a search function, you can search a whole site using Google. The syntax is site:citywire.co.uk Professor Brainstawm or whatever you are looking for.
Jeremy Bosk
Posted: 20 December 2011 20:59:17(UTC)

Prof Eman

If you go to the main News page and look under the listed forum topics there is a button for starting a new forum.

Jeremy
Rich Harris (Citywire)
Posted: 21 December 2011 08:52:38(UTC)

Thanks Jeremy - actually the button you refer to takes you to the main forums page (http://moneyforums.citywire.co.uk) - perhaps we should change the text.

Prof Eman - you need to be 'in' a forum before you can start a new discussion in it. For example if you wanted to start a new discussion in the Economics forum, go there via the forums homepage and click the + Start a new discussion button. Hope that helps
Graham Barlow
Posted: 21 December 2011 14:57:24(UTC)

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I think you are doing a great job with steadyimprovements . I find the Stock bulletins very useful trying to fathom what really is going on. As regards forums I never could understand annonymity, if you have got something to say or useful observation well say so. We still have freedom of speech and opinions . Too many are afraid to be contrversial. I think it is challenging and stimulating even if it clashes with my own views, the site though is generally free from personal rancour, which reflects the calibre of your subscribers.
1 user thanked Graham Barlow for this post.
Rich Harris (Citywire) on 21/12/2011(UTC)
Robert Court
Posted: 21 December 2011 19:07:49(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Graham Barlow;13251 wrote:
I think you are doing a great job with steadyimprovements . I find the Stock bulletins very useful trying to fathom what really is going on. As regards forums I never could understand annonymity, if you have got something to say or useful observation well say so. We still have freedom of speech and opinions . Too many are afraid to be contrversial. I think it is challenging and stimulating even if it clashes with my own views, the site though is generally free from personal rancour, which reflects the calibre of your subscribers.

I agree with you 100%, Graham Barlow, re. the annoying anonymity (however you spell the dang word).

My real name is Richard Head, but I prefer not to use it in public! (just joking). Our views have sometimes clashed, but then I'll never learn anything if everybody agrees with me and 'head clashing' is something I'm all in favour.

Euroland is wet and windy and cold today and a rubble wall that stood outside the villa strong and true for over 40 years without any repair decided to partially collapse without any warning so I fear it is an omen that the world as I know it is about to be destroyed before you can snarl 'Happy New Year!'.

How I hate Christmas; two weeks of insincerity before one can get back to investing properly.
Prof Eman
Posted: 21 December 2011 20:46:05(UTC)

Rich and others,
Thank you for your response, I did not realise you had to find an area to put your discussion in, before it could be accepted.

As regards anonymity, I stick to my guns.
For example, in the -Planners for Hell-Have you a story to tell? discussion,
there were a number of anonymous posts-
Anonymous 3 at #43, Anonymous 4 at #51, Anomnymous 5 at #52, #59, #71.
Clearly there are occasions when people feel they want to make a comment in anonymity, for whatever reason they have. Most anonymous comments are controversial, but in the main accurate observations from own life experiences, which I value greatly.
I would hate not to have had their comments because they could not use the anonymous button. They were very enlightening, and reinforced my view that the Planning set up could at times be worse than pathetic, never mind the sequestration powers wielded by Councils through TPO's Tree Protection Orders.
Furthermore in view of hacking, power responses to comments by people in power, and the modern loss of privacy, anonymity can be very useful.
masud butt
Posted: 22 December 2011 13:11:37(UTC)

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hello Rich, I like old & of course New one. Some time there is no reply to my requests.
Can Citywire help in this matter, Thanks, Masud.
1 user thanked masud butt for this post.
Prof Eman on 24/12/2011(UTC)
Prof Eman
Posted: 24 December 2011 22:32:27(UTC)

Have been mostly happy with the old forum.
I note particularly some 900 posts under Money v Making Stuff, and others like Planners from Hell-Have you a story to tell.
We have tackled some controversial issues, like the merits of living according to the 10 commandments.
Now it seems that this is echoed by Mr Cameron according to reports last week.
I leave you with a thought for Xmas, from The Independent-Archbishop questions bankers bonuses, 6281355,
"Let us not be a society that knows the price of everything and value of nothing."

Merry Xmas to you all.
Prof Eman
Posted: 31 December 2011 17:16:02(UTC)

To Rich, Citywire and participants in discussions
Thank you Rich for restoring the anonymous function, have tested it and it works very well.
A Happy New Year to you all.
Jeremy Bosk
Posted: 02 January 2012 14:26:49(UTC)

Improvement suggestion:

Rather than have pages which on some threads will mean endless clicking to get to the latest post, either have one very long page or default by taking readers to the latest post. This last would be irritating for new readers but they are usually in a minority on any thread.

PS I have just noticed the Insert Image tag. This will be very useful. Thanks again for all the hard work and thought you guys have done.
Rich Harris (Citywire)
Posted: 03 January 2012 10:07:56(UTC)

Happy new year Prof Eman and everyone else.

Masud - apologies for the slow reply, been away for the holidays. We'd love to be able to make sure that every question here gets answered but it's just not possible - we don't have the manpower to do it ourselves, and we don't have any influence over the responses given by other members. Some tips that seem to work though:

• make sure the question you're asking is clear
  • include the question in the title (e.g. instead of 'IShare-ETF' you could say 'Should I sell or hold iShares Euro Stoxx Select Dividend 30?')
  • get involved in other discussions and offer help where you can (I'm aware you already do this - it's just a general tip for anyone reading this)
  • remember that nothing you read here consitutes advice, and you shouldn't make investment decisions solely on the basis of what forum members say (just in case the FSA are reading)

Prof Eman - I'm not sure what you're referring to! We haven't created an anonymous function in the forums - posts that were made anonymously with the old system are still marked 'anonymous', and it's still possible to post anonymously on article comment threads, but nothing has changed here in the forums.

Jeremy - there is a 'latest post' link, though now you mention it perhaps it's a little too subtle. If you're on a discussion that has more than a few pages, you'll see something like the following:

[ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ] [ Next page ] [ >> ]

The double chevrons on the right will take you to the latest page. Additionally, on the forum list pages, every post has two small icons in the Last Post column on the right - one is 'Go to last post', the other is 'Go to last unread'. Hope this helps, and thanks for the kind words.
Norman Wittels
Posted: 04 May 2018 15:17:51(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi and thank you, this website is really nice
Alan Selwood
Posted: 11 May 2018 22:13:32(UTC)

Was thanked: 4481 time(s) in 1624 post(s)
One belated comment about anonymity:

If you post under your real name, it would be foolish to show any personal information, because anyone can read it, whether logged in or not.

If you use a pseudonym, it is possibly safer.

If you can post anonymously, there is scope to 'reveal' more of your situation, so that others can make more detailed comments that could be relevant.

So how about a stack of 'Anonymous' numbers that you can pick within each topic area, for use when you need them, that remain 'sticky' in the same thread for a limited period, but otherwise fall away for reuse after, say, 3 months?

While on the subject of 'sticky', how about some general guidelines or particularly helpful posts being given 'sticky status' within their topic area?
This might save us typing out much the same answers to new queries again and again. Many other websites do this.
Aminatidi
Posted: 12 May 2018 07:38:12(UTC)

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Alan for what it's worth I'd just create a second account if you need it.

It's easy to setup an additional email address if you need one to validate an account and I would guess the forum software Citywire uses is "off the shelf" so may not be customisable to the extent that what you suggest, though useful, might need.
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets