Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Iweb Halifax share dealing
Martin F
Posted: 01 June 2018 19:53:18(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
They have recently changed the format of their web dealing site from a highly informative, efficient easy to navigate ,research driven site ' to the theater of the ridiculous'.
The site now lacks crucial/critical information on many many investments. They have changed a round wheel to a square.
The new site is deficient in that it often does not contain essential information IE director deals, daily trading information on price, volumes etc plus news often comes up as nil when in fact there is crucial news, dividend information etc etc. There are many more deficiencies however the above will suffice for the moment.
Has anyone else experienced the negative changes they have brought about from what was a near perfect site to a disastrous one.????????.,
1 user thanked Martin F for this post.
Jay Mi on 04/06/2018(UTC)
Old Jock
Posted: 04 June 2018 14:13:46(UTC)

I agree this is a disaster, the shares section of IWeb used to be excellent for sorting stocks by market cap, dividend yield, P/E, price movement for different periods, etc, etc. And you could do this for UK, US, and the major European markets. A great way of scouring the available investment universe for your next investment, or making sure your existing holdings still meet your objectives.

It appears to be a classic case of management having no idea on the sort of functionality DIY investors actually appreciate, and instead being seduced by what looks flashy and hip. Exactly the same thing happened at Selftrade a few years ago (which was one of the reasons I switched from them to IWeb).

The next best thing I've found to replace it is the "share quickrank" on Youinvest.
Jay Mi
Posted: 04 June 2018 20:45:58(UTC)

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Glad it wasn’t just me.

The fund search use to be able to sort 1 month, 3 month, 6 month, 1, 3 and 5 years. Now you can’t.

Use to be able to do a stock search and filter with a selected yield. I think they removed that search feature now.

Drives me nuts when things change and they take features away.

Barclays all over again! I do like Barclays Reaearch Centre, but it has its own clunkyness to work with. Iweb went from clunky to clunkier.
Jeff Liddiard
Posted: 04 June 2018 21:00:56(UTC)

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 173 post(s)
I just use the site to buy and sell. Very good value. I do my research elsewhere.
7 users thanked Jeff Liddiard for this post.
Peter59 on 04/06/2018(UTC), Chris Howland on 05/06/2018(UTC), dlp6666 on 05/06/2018(UTC), andy mac on 05/06/2018(UTC), Guest on 05/06/2018(UTC), william barnes on 06/06/2018(UTC), mattyboy on 18/06/2018(UTC)
Martin F
Posted: 05 June 2018 09:55:17(UTC)

The main deficit of the redesigned website is that in many instances a link to news, states no news, when in fact there is important corporate news.There is no detail of current trading activity as to volume and price,plus dividend info is often either missing or incorrect.It is not possible to use this site to assess an investment as was the case before the redesign.The site is now misleading with mis-information increasing risk and likely loss with dangerously deficient information.. I would rather pay more to have the original design reinstated.There is more however this will suffice for know. The above is deeply concerning and disappointing.The original site should be reinstated until IWeb can iron out these crucial issues.
winki
Posted: 05 June 2018 11:42:27(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Looks like it is now a front end system to Morningstar.
andy mac
Posted: 05 June 2018 16:07:03(UTC)

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 103 post(s)
As said above I just use it for buying and selling
It also managed to alert me to the share divisions that other bigger and better didnt so its not all bad
Definitely value for money
Trev DIYer
Posted: 05 June 2018 16:28:01(UTC)

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Jeff Liddiard;63403 wrote:
I just use the site to buy and sell. Very good value. I do my research elsewhere.

Ditto. I hadn't noticed the changes.
john_r
Posted: 05 June 2018 19:21:31(UTC)

Was thanked: 215 time(s) in 108 post(s)
Martin F;63270 wrote:
.....................The new site is deficient in that it often does not contain essential information IE director deals, daily trading information on price, volumes etc plus news often comes up as nil when in fact there is crucial news, dividend information etc etc. There are many more deficiencies however the above will suffice for the moment.
Has anyone else experienced the negative changes they have brought about from what was a near perfect site to a disastrous one.????????.,

I believe the research pages for I-Web are provided by Digital Look (part of Web Financial Group). This is the same group that provides research information for H-L, HSBC / First Direct and many other big names (not incidentally AJBell).
A few weeks ago Digital look launched what looked to be a massive software update. Perhaps a new bigger platform. Overall it seemed an impressive update but with many niggles and in need of some fine tuning. Similar to a mini TSB event ??
I suspect the problems experienced on I_Web may well be a manisfestation of the big changes to the Digital Look platform.
I can only say that from my own experience on Digital Look the niggles have now been been sorted. All the data I need is there but the method of accessing the data is different to what I was used to.
1 user thanked john_r for this post.
Mr Helpful on 06/06/2018(UTC)
Martin F
Posted: 06 June 2018 07:22:24(UTC)

The site is not as navigable to use as the previous site and there is no doubt that there is now numerous instances of missing and/or inaccurate information.. Under news it often says no news when in fact there is important corporate news. Whilst you may not have experienced this it is the case in many searches I have conducted on IWeb. This is simply put, not acceptable as it is misinformation.There are a number of other inaccuracies that have crept in in the redesign so many that there is not time to outline them all at this point in time..
Its an OK site if you just use it for trading however a risky site if you want to use it to research and guide investment decisions. Cheap can be expensive!!.
Sara G
Posted: 06 June 2018 07:26:33(UTC)

Was thanked: 1290 time(s) in 469 post(s)
I would suggest always checking the LSE site before buying a stock. I have had instances where even HL don't have the latest corporate news.
3 users thanked Sara G for this post.
Chris Howland on 06/06/2018(UTC), Mr Helpful on 06/06/2018(UTC), john_r on 12/06/2018(UTC)
Martin F
Posted: 06 June 2018 10:25:15(UTC)

Sound advice though how do you register for corporate announcement alerts IE a recent one on Medicx re a dividend cut was not dealt with by IWeb many shareholder thresholds also not alerted.There are a number of other corporate announcements which have not been alerted by IWeb. They used to do this however no longer reliable.
mattyboy
Posted: 06 June 2018 16:41:18(UTC)

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 8 post(s)

Exactly this. I do all my research on Hargreaves Lansdown and with Trustnet - just use iWeb to complete the transactions.

iWeb is good value for funds as there's no percentage fee, but the platform is really clunky.
1 user thanked mattyboy for this post.
john_r on 12/06/2018(UTC)
bouleversee
Posted: 06 June 2018 17:24:59(UTC)

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Total disaster. I hope you have made your views known to IWeb, as I have. So where do you do your research, Jeffiard. I looked on 3 different websites yesterday for yield and p/e etc. for one particular share (I think it was RPC) and they all gave different figures. Apart from the fact that one no longer has much useful info., as others have said there are many inaccuracies.

I think they said they have switched from Digitallook to Morningstar.

The other thing that drives me mad, especially as I have a very large number of shares in my portfolios, is that they don't show the current day's movement on the portfolio list so one has to go on to research umpteen times to see whether they are up or down that day and while you are doing that they conclude you are not using your account and so log you out supposedly for your safety.

We really do need to kick up a fuss. I don't like the new websites on D/L and Interactive either. If they can't improve them, they should just leave them alone. I liked the IWeb research page.
A Wilson
Posted: 06 June 2018 18:58:39(UTC)

As with others I do research elsewhere. The cost saving by using IWeb is great. Why pay double the price elsewhere and sometimes a fee for holding my shares.
1 user thanked A Wilson for this post.
john_r on 12/06/2018(UTC)
mark spurrier
Posted: 06 June 2018 19:11:53(UTC)

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 23 post(s)
The new II site is truly horrible. I will get over it but it is poor. i was a beta tester for the new website that III were doing before merger and it was much better.

Youinvest must take the award for the greatest number of broken links, menu options to pages that 404 and absolutely dire system development practices. They also cant work out whether to multiply or divide when doing currency exchanges and pay divis twice BUT.... the customer service is fast and polite and they correct errors quickly

What peeves me is that it really isn't hard. I have been doing apps dev for many many years and I would be embarrassed by some of things that get through testing.

2 users thanked mark spurrier for this post.
Richard_L on 10/06/2018(UTC), huudi on 18/06/2018(UTC)
Skint
Posted: 07 June 2018 09:41:40(UTC)

As some others have said I have not noticed the changes too much as I only really use the Buy/Sell features and valuation pages. But sometimes it does seem to me that change is done for change sake rather than for service improvement. The problems people are describing do seem to be more common these days, I've lost count of the times I've used new revisions of software or websites over recent years to find things have gone or are less usable.

I can only presume that testing has become a tick box operation where individual features are tested to be working but nobody has actually sat down in the role of an end user and just tried to use the system as an end user would.

Maybe I am old fashioned but I would rather do without all the fancy colours, animated buttons and extra steps to do something. All I want is to be able to do what I need to do as efficiently as possible. What do I know, I've only been developing systems for 20+ years.

PS. To those who think entering a username on one screen to then enter a password on the next screen is a good idea, it's not it is just plain annoying.
1 user thanked Skint for this post.
Tim D on 11/06/2018(UTC)
Alan Selwood
Posted: 07 June 2018 14:05:49(UTC)

Was thanked: 4566 time(s) in 1642 post(s)
It's a bit like the "improvements" to operating systems on computers.

I was quite attached to Ubuntu 7.10, and later to MacOSX Snow Leopard, but there always seem to be more problems with later versions. Similarly, I nearly went mad over the problems with Windows 98 compared with my previous Acorn Archimedes in the 1980s/1990s.

Important message to website creators:
If it 'ain't broke, don't fix it!
4 users thanked Alan Selwood for this post.
Sara G on 07/06/2018(UTC), David BB on 07/06/2018(UTC), Richard_L on 10/06/2018(UTC), huudi on 18/06/2018(UTC)
Skint
Posted: 07 June 2018 14:21:02(UTC)

Wow that's a blast from the past, Acorn Archimedes were great machines. Never had one myself, I was at school when they came out and still had a Model B at the time. But I remember getting special permission to do some coding on the A310 (school only had one) on a lunch time. Happy days.

I would agree that things appear to have more problems nowadays. Maybe because things are more complicated or maybe they are just rushed out, not sure. I use a number of different OS's but my favourite at the moment is Debian Stretch, keeping things nice simple by using XFCE window manager.
1 user thanked Skint for this post.
Tim D on 11/06/2018(UTC)
bouleversee
Posted: 11 June 2018 22:47:07(UTC)

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have just gone onto my account and onto the research page for WH Smith, which I hold. The information given is absolute rubbish. According to the LSE and everyone else, the closing price was 2026p today. IWeb's research page shows a bid price of 2236 and offer price of 1927 (as if!) although they say the day's low is 2016 and the high 2062, quite different from HL's figures, as is the p/e ratio.

I see they have also removed everything but the book cost for Fenner on my p/f list, presumably because the takeover has now completed but there is no message to say that and no sign of any proceeds being received into my account. Quite hopeless!.
2 Pages12Next page
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets