Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Dividend payments late or missing
David W.
Posted: 10 April 2018 17:56:23(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have invested in a couple of Income funds, in an Aviva SIPP, and I was recently looking at the dividend payments, only to find that some were either missing, or extremely delayed. (I compared against information on Trustnet which showed the Ex Dividend date, and the Payment dates.) Supposedly, one fund pays dividends monthly, and the other quarterly.

Does this happen regularly, elsewhere?
andy mac
Posted: 10 April 2018 18:14:37(UTC)

Was thanked: 160 time(s) in 91 post(s)
David it is not my experience that there is a delay
If I were you I would be contacting your provider and asking the question of them
I am sure others will give you further info
1 user thanked andy mac for this post.
David W. on 10/04/2018(UTC)
David W.
Posted: 11 April 2018 00:10:58(UTC)

Have just checked on a third fund, where I have exactly the same holding with both Aviva and Hargreaves Lansdown.

H.L. have paid a dividend to me on the 3/4/18 and, as yet, this has not been paid by Aviva! On previous months, both companies paid out within a day of each other.

I certainly will be taking this up with them, but I'd be interested to have views on how 'heavy handed' I'm entitled to be!

Thanks.

PaulSh
Posted: 11 April 2018 08:21:07(UTC)

Was thanked: 138 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Where you have proof that the fund has indeed paid its dividend, I would think you have a strong case for simply making a demand for payment from Aviva as they are basically withholding your money. If you don't get satisfaction within 8 weeks you can go to the Financial Ombudsman.

I wonder if anyone else here with an Aviva SIPP has had a similar experience recently?
1 user thanked PaulSh for this post.
David W. on 11/04/2018(UTC)
David 111
Posted: 11 April 2018 15:34:35(UTC)

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 48 post(s)
I've just been reading an article in this week's Sunday Times all about a software upgrade at Aviva, which apparently has been a big shambles. Perhaps you have been affected by this.
1 user thanked David 111 for this post.
Pensioner
Posted: 11 April 2018 17:00:34(UTC)

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 36 post(s)
I also recall the Sunday Times reporting an Aviva software update causing problems for clients, so the late payments of dividends could well be a consequence. Ring Aviva for an answer.
1 user thanked Pensioner for this post.
David W.
Posted: 11 April 2018 17:21:19(UTC)

Pensioner;60484 wrote:
I also recall the Sunday Times reporting an Aviva software update causing problems for clients, so the late payments of dividends could well be a consequence. Ring Aviva for an answer.

Yes, interesting article! I'm not sure if I would have been 'upgraded' as the article seemed to suggest it was clients who used an IFA that were affected, which I don't. I think their issues go back further than that though....for no apparent reason they missed two of my drawdown payments back in Sept/October, I've had several online documents that won't open and several occasions where online/apps don't work!

As far back as November 2016 I was in touch with them about late dividend payments and was told they should be made within 3 working days of the funds payment date.

I have contacted them and will see what they say/do, but think it's time to take it further!
John Wrap
Posted: 12 April 2018 14:01:40(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
There’s still a ‘you must pay clients dividends within 10 days of receipt’ (or words to that effect) in the CASS rules. Ensure your Ex date(s) holding(s) and query.
If by Aviva you are referring to their wrap platform or consumer platform then you can bet it’s an FNZ issue.
FNZs dividend payment process is appalling.
1 user thanked John Wrap for this post.
David W. on 13/04/2018(UTC)
Nigel Meek
Posted: 13 April 2018 22:38:16(UTC)

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Not sure if this is relevant, but I have had duplicate holdings in Interactive Investor ISA's and Hargreaves Lansdown ISA's. It is often the case that the II dividends are received late by a few days compared with the published ex-div date. HL always seem to show payments on the published ex-Div date.

Not usually an issue for me, but I have had an issue with some Property and Innovative Finance ITs in both platforms. II only pay net dividends, and than take up to 2 months to claim back the tax paid from HMRC. HL pay the same divs gross! I have challenged II on this several times, and am told that they are doing the correct thing. HL bizarrely also say they receive the divs gross and pay same on the due date!

As our cousins across the pond would say - "Go figure"!

Obviously we are talking tens of pounds being paid up to 2 month slate, but nevertheless it is frustrating.
1 user thanked Nigel Meek for this post.
David W. on 13/04/2018(UTC)
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets