Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Interactive Investor (iii) and TDW website/app issues
Steve Cameron
Posted: 02 January 2018 09:46:03(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Since Interactive Investor rolled out their new platform I have struggled to find basic information regarding my shareholdings and dividend issues.

I have sent some messages regarding the site but the answers do not fill me with confidence. I posted a review on Trustpilot when I was happy with the service (4 stars) since reduced to 2 stars. The 4 star review got a response from Julie Baxter but not the 2 star one!

My list of gripes include
1) The faff of having 2 apps and effectively 2 sites to navigate - one for TRADING and one for RESEARCH. What is the point of that? It's just wasting my time.

2) I no longer receive notice of dividends coming in. I used to receive a secure message and could see full details of the dividend credit.

3) Not all shares are on the dividend reinvestment list. It is restricted now to FTSE 350 and their definition of popular shares..

4) The price has gone up while the service has been reduced. Ah yes but you get more trades, whether you want them or not.

5) The apps frequently crash on the iPhone.

6) The apps are less secure, no longer offering fingerprint recognition.

7) The layout is garish and far harder to read on an iPhone. There must have been very little testing of human factors.

That's all for now. Please feel free to add to the list.
1 user thanked Steve Cameron for this post.
antigricer on 05/01/2018(UTC)
Steve Cameron
Posted: 03 January 2018 11:51:05(UTC)

So are you all happy with your Interactive Investor experiences?
Amateur hour
Posted: 03 January 2018 12:41:24(UTC)

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I can’t see which holdings individual dividend payments relate to any more. Am I missing something? As noted above, getting pms when payments are made was useful.

And not being able to set dividends to pay away automatically is just annoying. It looks as if they want to push folk towards dividend reinvestment.

Assuming I’m not missing anything obvious then this doesn’t look like the best platform for an income investor....
1 user thanked Amateur hour for this post.
Joe Soap
Posted: 03 January 2018 13:15:44(UTC)

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Steve Cameron;54887 wrote:
So are you all happy with your Interactive Investor experiences?

I am, yes. Though I was happier before the changes. But it is always swings and roundabouts with this kind of thing.
Micawber
Posted: 03 January 2018 14:57:39(UTC)

Was thanked: 2506 time(s) in 970 post(s)
Coming to it from the TD side, I'm happy that the integration was not disruptive. The charge on my ISA has risen from zero, but will be offset by my trades. The absence of platform charges for holding OEICs means I will be considering that form of vehicle again, alongside ITs and ETFs. So yes - so far, content.
1 user thanked Micawber for this post.
Keith Hilton on 03/01/2018(UTC)
Sara G
Posted: 03 January 2018 14:58:50(UTC)

Was thanked: 879 time(s) in 338 post(s)
I am also happy with it so far, and it is the best deal in cost terms for my level of trading (10-12 per year + regulars in my SIPP).

For dividend payments I generally leave these to build up as cash in the account so don't expect to see a difference and presumably they will be identified under 'transaction history' as before. If not I will raise a query with them.
2 users thanked Sara G for this post.
Keith Hilton on 03/01/2018(UTC), Micawber on 03/01/2018(UTC)
foxy ron
Posted: 03 January 2018 15:34:55(UTC)

I am satisfied that the change from TD to Interactive Investor happened without disruption. As for the II app, it is a mirror of the TD app so nothing has changed.
The app lets you trade and monitor portfolio and watch lists but for anything else it is necessary to visit the website, again as before with TD. And while I agree that the app is pretty basic and could do with more features, the change has so far been painless.
2 users thanked foxy ron for this post.
Keith Hilton on 03/01/2018(UTC), Micawber on 03/01/2018(UTC)
gggggg hjhjkl;'
Posted: 03 January 2018 15:47:11(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Coming from the TD side, I am reserving judgement for the moment. As mentioned above the transfer appears successful, other than response time to E-mails.

Not happy with going from zero to a quarterly charge. Note the lower cost and credited trades, but as I try to limit my trading, not sure I will win out.

If not I have reserved a transfer to Hargreaves Lansdown (cashback of £500) with a fixed ISA charge of £45 pa as opposed to II's charge of £90.
Mr Helpful
Posted: 03 January 2018 15:50:29(UTC)

Was thanked: 481 time(s) in 237 post(s)
Micawber;54904 wrote:
Coming to it from the TD side, I'm happy that the integration was not disruptive. The charge on my ISA has risen from zero, but will be offset by my trades.

Any idea when free trades kick in for ex-TD investors?
Have not been following story carefully enough.
The SmartInvestor issues have been somewhat of a slight distraction !!!
Andrew James
Posted: 03 January 2018 19:22:40(UTC)

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I am glad that some people have had a relatively seamless transition. I truly wish I could say the same.

Am I the only one having a complete nightmare? On the transition, all my old secure messages on the II website were wiped and have still to be restored, despite bland assurances to the contrary. Also, my entire history of contract notes has still to be migrated, so I have no on-line record.

Worst of all, I transferred my SIPP to II from Standard Life in mid 2017. The process was and continues to be horrendous and the bottom line is that it is still not sorted out over six months later, with a very large cash sum having gone missing. I have raised this with II in several messages and telephone calls, but almost four weeks after the cash should have been in the account, it is not and I have no substantive response from II. I have wasted literally hours on the telephone trying to resolve this, but with no result and failure to return the one call that got through in now over two weeks. My impression is that they are in complete meltdown and have completely bungled the integration.Standard Life were really expensive and made mistakes and so I was happy to exit, but the II admin is a total shocker. I may well flip again to find a competent platform, which is sub-optimal and some.

2 users thanked Andrew James for this post.
Hemmo on 05/01/2018(UTC), Martina on 06/01/2018(UTC)
Steve Cameron
Posted: 04 January 2018 12:44:21(UTC)

Andrew James;54927 wrote:
I am glad that some people have had a relatively seamless transition. I truly wish I could say the same.

Am I the only one having a complete nightmare? On the transition, all my old secure messages on the II website were wiped and have still to be restored, despite bland assurances to the contrary. Also, my entire history of contract notes has still to be migrated, so I have no on-line record.

I am also missing my old messages. It does feel that it is taking far longer to receive response to messages.

I am sending two daily with queries regarding the new platform and apps. It annoys me that the Research app is pretty hopeless. It doesn't link to any discussions regarding my shares/watchlist.
Steve Cameron
Posted: 04 January 2018 12:45:52(UTC)

Mr Helpful;54913 wrote:
Micawber;54904 wrote:
Coming to it from the TD side, I'm happy that the integration was not disruptive. The charge on my ISA has risen from zero, but will be offset by my trades.

Any idea when free trades kick in for ex-TD investors?

The trades aren't free if you are now paying a quarterly charge of £22!

Or are you referring to really free trades promised to the ex-TD punters to put up with the platform move?
Steve Cameron
Posted: 04 January 2018 15:44:03(UTC)

Amateur hour;54894 wrote:
I can’t see which holdings individual dividend payments relate to any more. Am I missing something? As noted above, getting pms when payments are made was useful.

Here is my response from Interactive Investor:

Unfortunately, we will no longer be sending secure messages regarding
dividend payments.

Should you have any further enquiries then please do not hesitate to
contact us again, we usually reply within 1 working day, but in times of high
volumes this may take up to 5 working days.

Yours sincerely

xxxx

Interactive Investor.
2 users thanked Steve Cameron for this post.
Amateur hour on 04/01/2018(UTC), antigricer on 05/01/2018(UTC)
Micawber
Posted: 04 January 2018 16:17:09(UTC)

Was thanked: 2506 time(s) in 970 post(s)
If you look under portfolio --> transaction history, all your dividends are displayed in the transaction list when paid in, along with the details of which share produced the dividend. If you want to do analysis over a time period, there is a convenient button to export as a csv file to open in a spreadsheet.
2 users thanked Micawber for this post.
Amateur hour on 04/01/2018(UTC), antigricer on 05/01/2018(UTC)
Antony A
Posted: 04 January 2018 16:26:57(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I'm an existing II subscriber (SIPP, ISA and JISA). I'm getting used to the new trading interface, even though it's worse than the old world and fiddly to poke around in. I quite welcome having access again to the Morningstar X-ray tool, which I lost when I transferred from ATS. I don't have much use for the rest of Morningstar's research, which is bland to look at, fiddly to navigate and duplicates much that is available elsewhere at II, Trustnet and HL.

My main gripes are:

1. I've given up trying to work out how to set up regular direct debit investments. However, the new ability to add funds via a debit card, as and when you want to, is a distinct improvement on the clunky procedures of the old SIPP provider. So far, SIPP administration appears to be significantly better.

2. The loss of old queries, contract notes and dividend payment records from before early December 2017. I too have been assured these will be imported eventually, so there's probably a database person sweating away in an IT room in Glasgow as we speak. I quite like the new Archive facility for queries, as it means you can save the most important items rather than wade through all the old ones trying to find the one you want.

3. When buying or selling via the Trading account, you can no longer see prices over the course of a day, or any other Buy and Sell records. You just get a real-time price quote and a useless graph of the SP's last three months. I've taken to visiting HL.co.uk to see what the recent trends have been for buying and selling in the market, to help me time my purchases and sales. Perhaps II are trying to push me towards buying Level 2 access, but I'm an infrequent trader and am blowed if I can pay for something I don't really need.

4. The Research account has lost Recognia's Technical Insight tool, presumably because they didn't like giving it away to non-subscribers. However even in one's Trading account, Technical Insight is only available for shares you already own, making the site pretty useless if you want to use Technical Insight for researching shares you don't yet own. It's also impossible to set up dummy portfolios in the Trading account: you have to use the Research account, which is now significantly worse since they removed Technical Insight.

The sensible thing would be for paying subscribers to have access to the Research area via their Trading account - both the Morningstar research material and the II one which includes the discussion boards - ideally with Enhanced access to include the Recognia Technical Insight tool.
mark senior
Posted: 04 January 2018 16:35:29(UTC)

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Micawber;54977 wrote:
If you look under portfolio --> transaction history, all your dividends are displayed in the transaction list when paid in, along with the details of which share produced the dividend. If you want to do analysis over a time period, there is a convenient button to export as a csv file to open in a spreadsheet.

@ Micawber

This may be the case for TD customers but is not so for II migrants. All pre merger transactions on my account are still not live. I brought this up as an issue with II admitting it will take some time for them to bring it all up to date.
1 user thanked mark senior for this post.
Hemmo on 05/01/2018(UTC)
Hemmo
Posted: 05 January 2018 14:44:27(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Just read on this forum that pre-merger transaction history (+ all other history) not yet available after trying for some time on ii to find it. ...so (a) why do I have to discover this from this forum rather than ii site and (b) why didn't they consider this necessary before changeover. Tried to secure message them but the messaging system failed with unknown error. I should have stayed with iWeb but I thought their site a little clunky. Less concern with aesthetics and more with function (since it did actually work) would have been good.
As you may surmise, I am not impressed.
1 user thanked Hemmo for this post.
Steve Cameron
Posted: 06 January 2018 10:15:13(UTC)

Hemmo;55042} wrote:
I should have stayed with iWeb but I thought their site a little clunky. Less concern with aesthetics and more with function (since it did actually work) would have been good.
As you may surmise, I am not impressed.

How did the iWeb app compare to the two that iii have given us?

Does it seem ridiculous to anybody else that if you want to read about a share and research it you have to then log out of the app and log into another before you can trade it.
The old app allowed you to do both in one app.

Why have iii gone backwards? I would understand if they had reduced the costs but they have actually risen for all iii customers.
Hemmo
Posted: 06 January 2018 16:25:15(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
[quote=Steve Cameron;55070
How did the iWeb app compare to the two that iii have given us?
[/quote]

It was about a year ago I was with iWeb. I didn't use their app (if they had one?), I only used their website. Their research tools took you into their associate Halifax's site so that wasn't integrated either; I generally used other research (FE, Inv Chronicle).
Incidentally, it was quite painful transferring from iWeb to iii and I never really got to the bottom of who was to blame for the delays and confusion.
philip gosling
Posted: 06 January 2018 17:20:07(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 8 post(s)

Well my fees went up 100% with 1 months notice and so I have started transferring my ISA and SIPP -plus my wife is transferring her ISA - the xtra costs when we are buy and hold are not offset by increase in trades. No reply to several messages and not even a good bye thanks for your custom. Having 2 sign ins for research & trade still - was the final straw. Hopefully Halifax for the ISAs and HL.co.UK for the SIPP (free instead of 0.45% if you uses their ready portfolios.), will be better than II is now.
2 Pages12Next page
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets