Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

shareholdings
mariarty
Posted: 10 September 2017 07:45:19(UTC)

Have just begun to buy shares again with limited funding 10-15k £
i spread this over quite a few holdings in reality to many

how many shares per stock should i be holdimb. any less than 1-2000 shares in a comany i think im restricting opportunity for growth

have now reduced to 4 holdings sirrius minerals, victoria oil and gas, invidior and cairn energy

with 5k left to invest am ii better to buy additional stock either cairn or invidior or consolidate further and or invest in a new stock

The Spanish Inquisition
Posted: 12 September 2017 09:31:44(UTC)

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Mariarty,

I'm not sure where to begin so I'll dive right in with a few points.

1 Share price in itself should not be relevant to your thinking (£1k of stock at £1k per share that doubles in value is the same as £1k of stock at 60p a share that doubles).

2 What is your age, your goals, time horizons. You must have price targets and stop losses in place to avoid being wiped out or take some profits in what I call good story stocks.

3 10 to 15 thousand to invest in stocks should give you a good foundation for a well balanced portfolio but I'd go the investment trust route BRWM for energy and metals, but possibly no more than 8%. As to curing addicts......selling them the addictive stuff surely makes more sense to me so DGE or IMB but again no more than 10% in each.

l'd then put the rest in global stocks WTAN is a good place to start but read a lot on this forum as its full of good advice. Getting rich slowly is the only way to go and leave the small caps to IPU or HSL but no more than 15% of your pf.

Hope this helps a little, now I'm off for a smoke and I'll give that bottle of scotch a little attention too ; ))

+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets