Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Disaster at Barclays Stockbrokers?
Stephen B.
Posted: 08 December 2017 13:31:57(UTC)

Joined: 26/09/2012(UTC)
Posts: 305

Thanks: 15 times
Was thanked: 227 time(s) in 132 post(s)
Personally I don't use brokers' cost figures anyway, I keep my own records. I'd be more worried about dividends, I'd suggest anyone transferring should check that all the dividends have appeared and are correct.
1 user thanked Stephen B. for this post.
huudi on 02/01/2018(UTC)
Keith Hilton
Posted: 08 December 2017 14:51:48(UTC)

Joined: 20/08/2010(UTC)
Posts: 474

Thanks: 326 times
Was thanked: 461 time(s) in 260 post(s)
Alan O;53996 wrote:
Charles Hayes;53965 wrote:
For REITs, they have withheld 20% from any account, including ISAs and SIPPs. They did not used to do this, of course. So I phoned them. They said it was a result of moving to the new platform and that the tax would be credited back to my account in a few weeks.

Suggest you take a look at https://www.lemonfool.co...mp;t=7111&start=300 post #95501 Nov14 2017 @12.49am and onwards where other have complained about deduction of Witholding Tax on REITs within ISAs and SIPPs. Clearly not thought through when Dumb Investor was designed.

My Formal Complaints are resulting in cash compensation payments and the most recent is the offer of a luxury hamper, none of which preclude escalation to the Financial Ombudsman.


I contacted Customer Services yesterday and they couldn't give me any explanation as to why the 20% was deducted within my ISA. They stated that it would be credited to my account but couldn't give any timeframe. What a shambles!

Lodged a formal complaint this morning.
DGL
Posted: 08 December 2017 16:41:52(UTC)

Joined: 27/03/2012(UTC)
Posts: 90

Thanks: 35 times
Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Still awaiting reply to my latest complaint.... B's accidentally paid £ 5k into my ( Lloyds ) account.
They contacted me - asking for me to pay it back....offering the modest sum of £150. This I accepted and repayed.
Later the SAME day they, again, paid me the £5 k !!!
Must be the compensation !! ??
philip gosling
Posted: 08 December 2017 17:34:37(UTC)
#97

Joined: 06/01/2013(UTC)
Posts: 153

Thanks: 35 times
Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 96 post(s)
Big hammo;50601 wrote:
I cant see what the complaint is? Whats the problem? It looks a bit different, it isnt as good as the III website, but I use III website, for news and the blog. but I suppose so do lots of others.

It may be getting sold off but Barclays and Barcalays stockbrockers have never seen eye to eye even before the pre bob diamond days.





you mean the new ii site which isn't open yet?
john curran
Posted: 08 December 2017 18:09:09(UTC)

Joined: 04/09/2017(UTC)
Posts: 11

Thanks: 13 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Stephen B.;54043 wrote:
Personally I don't use brokers' cost figures anyway, I keep my own records. I'd be more worried about dividends, I'd suggest anyone transferring should check that all the dividends have appeared and are correct.


I don't take them as gospel, and post-26 august purchases are inaccurate as they do not include the £6 transaction fee -- very irritating for continuing clients where one holding is made up of purchases before and after 26/8. I also have my own records, but when figures are given, I do prefer them to be correct. And I quite agree with your point on dividends.
Eileen Abell
Posted: 08 December 2017 21:33:05(UTC)

Joined: 05/09/2017(UTC)
Posts: 15

Thanks: 109 times
Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Just a little niggle about the Research Centre:

I just wondered whether they would be any good at watchlists than your excellent Citywire site, so I clicked onto Watchlists on the Barclays Research Centre (the one with the girl on her back looking at her smartphone, not the corporate one). Well, it needed a password for that and I had never had one before, just looked in on various shares. This is what followed:
"
Dear Mr Thaw
In desperation I am again turning to yourself, after failure to obtain any success over the following problem.

I have copied/pasted below the third identical reply I received today from your Research site after trying to access a "watchlist" on it. I never had a password for your Research Centre but when I tried to register instead of logging in it told me it already had my email address, so I went back to login and put "forgot password", so was told I would receive an email (the answer below shows my third attempt). After an hour long telephone call to your customer services (after a 37 minute musical delay before being answered despite it being early afternoon, not a normally busy time), your poor customer service call-centre scottish girl tried her best to say it was a problem of my emails, but it is Not. At her request I tried 3 different browsers to access my emails but they all were the same, see below.

>----Original Message----
>From: barclays@digitallook.com
>Date: 08/12/2017 18:35
>To: <eileen -
>Subj: Password Reset

>CiAgICAJVGhhbmsgeW91IGZvciB5b3VyIGludGVyZXN0IGluIEJhcmNsYXlzIFNtYXJ0IEludmVz

>dG9yIEFsZXJ0cy4KCgkJVG8gcmVzZXQgeW91ciBwYXNzd29yZCwgcGxlYXNlIGNsaWNrIHRoZSBs

>aW5rIGJlbG93OgoJCQoJCWh0dHBzOi8vc3RvY2ticm9rZXJzLWxvbi53ZWJmZy5jb20vbG9naW4/

>cGFzc3dvcmRfcmVjb3Zlcnk9ZjIxYWE5YTY3ZWY1MjQ0MTBmNzE4Y2ZmMzY4YTZmZjImZW1haWw9

>ZWlsZWVuLmFiZWxsQHRpc2NhbGkuY28udWsKCQkKCQlSZWdhcmRzLAoJCQoJCUJhcmNsYXlzIFNt
>YXJ0IEludmVzdG9yIFRlYW0KICAgIA==

Could you please look into your site providers, ie Digital Look, or whoever they are, to address this issue?
I want to use your Research tool but if I cannot use the Watchlist facility it is pretty useless if I cannot login.

I have tried numerous ways to present my problem in your Smart Investor site, also to contact Digital Look direct, but have been given no ability to email any of them. I am certainly Not going onto Twitter or Facebook etc to air my technical issues over financial matters, only by my secure email.
Hence I do expect a reply to my politely worded enquiry, if only out of courtesy, even if it comes from a "tech assistant" and doesn't put the blame on my computer skills. Thank you.
Yours sincerely"

I wonder if I will get a useful reply????
Tim D
Posted: 08 December 2017 22:13:40(UTC)

Joined: 07/06/2017(UTC)
Posts: 488

Thanks: 1777 times
Was thanked: 720 time(s) in 321 post(s)
Somewhat surprised to read at the end of this Bloomberg piece today:

Quote:
(CEO) Staley has said he wants to turn Barclays into a technology company and believes it needs to develop its own proprietary systems if it wants to stand out from the competition. The lender is choosing to increasingly make senior level hires directly from industry, hiring from companies such as PayPal Holdings Inc. and AT&T Inc., one of the people said. The hires are seen as part of this drive to become a serious fintech company, they added.


which seems completely at odds with their ditching the proprietary Barclays Stockbroker for the outsourced (to FNZ) Smart Investor. Maybe it's talking more about the tech the big boys play with on the other side of the "ring fencing" around the retail operation though.
Alan O
Posted: 09 December 2017 01:07:19(UTC)

Joined: 25/01/2016(UTC)
Posts: 34

Thanks: 10 times
Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 15 post(s)
DGL;54048 wrote:
Later the SAME day they, again, paid me the £5 k !!! Must be the compensation !! ??

If that was me and they ask for it back again, I would say that it will be paid back at the rate of £5/week.
Micawber
Posted: 09 December 2017 06:42:03(UTC)

Joined: 27/01/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1,797

Thanks: 798 times
Was thanked: 2689 time(s) in 1018 post(s)
Tim D;54060 wrote:
Somewhat surprised to read at the end of this Bloomberg piece today:

Quote:
(CEO) Staley has said he wants to turn Barclays into a technology company and believes it needs to develop its own proprietary systems if it wants to stand out from the competition. The lender is choosing to increasingly make senior level hires directly from industry, hiring from companies such as PayPal Holdings Inc. and AT&T Inc., one of the people said. The hires are seen as part of this drive to become a serious fintech company, they added.


which seems completely at odds with their ditching the proprietary Barclays Stockbroker for the outsourced (to FNZ) Smart Investor. Maybe it's talking more about the tech the big boys play with on the other side of the "ring fencing" around the retail operation though.


The signs are not good. They can't even produce a secure messaging facility where customers can read the back correspondence! And lately I tried their mobile app which proved unsatisfactory after an update a few days later. I uninstalled it.
Keith Hilton
Posted: 09 December 2017 12:19:36(UTC)

Joined: 20/08/2010(UTC)
Posts: 474

Thanks: 326 times
Was thanked: 461 time(s) in 260 post(s)
Alan O;54061 wrote:
DGL;54048 wrote:
Later the SAME day they, again, paid me the £5 k !!! Must be the compensation !! ??

If that was me and they ask for it back again, I would say that it will be paid back at the rate of £5/week.


After my recent experience, I'd say that you'll pay it back, but don't know what the timeframe will be.
Micawber
Posted: 12 December 2017 08:11:46(UTC)

Joined: 27/01/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1,797

Thanks: 798 times
Was thanked: 2689 time(s) in 1018 post(s)
Micawber;54065 wrote:


The signs are not good. They can't even produce a secure messaging facility where customers can read the back correspondence! .....


A reply from Barclays: "Please be advised that this is a known issue which is currently being investigated by the Technical Team. A fix for this issue is in progress and we are unable to provide a timescale for a resolution. "

Actually, this has been an issue at Barclays online banking which long pre-dates so-called "Smart Investor." Coding a messaging system where you can display and read previous messages in a thread is not at all difficult.
Eileen Abell
Posted: 12 December 2017 11:14:41(UTC)

Joined: 05/09/2017(UTC)
Posts: 15

Thanks: 109 times
Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Eileen Abell;54059 wrote:
Just a little niggle about the Research Centre:

I just wondered whether they would be any good at watchlists than your excellent Citywire site, so I clicked onto Watchlists on the Barclays Research Centre (the one with the girl on her back looking at her smartphone, not the corporate one). Well, it needed a password for that and I had never had one before, just looked in on various shares. This is what followed:
"
Dear Mr Thaw
In desperation I am again turning to yourself, after failure to obtain any success over the following problem.

I have copied/pasted below the third identical reply I received today from your Research site after trying to access a "watchlist" on it. I never had a password for your Research Centre but when I tried to register instead of logging in it told me it already had my email address, so I went back to login and put "forgot password", so was told I would receive an email (the answer below shows my third attempt). After an hour long telephone call to your customer services (after a 37 minute musical delay before being answered despite it being early afternoon, not a normally busy time), your poor customer service call-centre scottish girl tried her best to say it was a problem of my emails, but it is Not. At her request I tried 3 different browsers to access my emails but they all were the same, see below.

>----Original Message----
>From: barclays@digitallook.com
>Date: 08/12/2017 18:35
>To: <eileen -
>Subj: Password Reset

>CiAgICAJVGhhbmsgeW91IGZvciB5b3VyIGludGVyZXN0IGluIEJhcmNsYXlzIFNtYXJ0IEludmVz

>dG9yIEFsZXJ0cy4KCgkJVG8gcmVzZXQgeW91ciBwYXNzd29yZCwgcGxlYXNlIGNsaWNrIHRoZSBs

>aW5rIGJlbG93OgoJCQoJCWh0dHBzOi8vc3RvY2ticm9rZXJzLWxvbi53ZWJmZy5jb20vbG9naW4/

>cGFzc3dvcmRfcmVjb3Zlcnk9ZjIxYWE5YTY3ZWY1MjQ0MTBmNzE4Y2ZmMzY4YTZmZjImZW1haWw9

>ZWlsZWVuLmFiZWxsQHRpc2NhbGkuY28udWsKCQkKCQlSZWdhcmRzLAoJCQoJCUJhcmNsYXlzIFNt
>YXJ0IEludmVzdG9yIFRlYW0KICAgIA==

Could you please look into your site providers, ie Digital Look, or whoever they are, to address this issue?
I want to use your Research tool but if I cannot use the Watchlist facility it is pretty useless if I cannot login.

I have tried numerous ways to present my problem in your Smart Investor site, also to contact Digital Look direct, but have been given no ability to email any of them. I am certainly Not going onto Twitter or Facebook etc to air my technical issues over financial matters, only by my secure email.
Hence I do expect a reply to my politely worded enquiry, if only out of courtesy, even if it comes from a "tech assistant" and doesn't put the blame on my computer skills. Thank you.
Yours sincerely"

I wonder if I will get a useful reply????


Well, I did!
First an email from A Thaw, delegating it as expected.
Today a phone call from one of AT's team called Paul .... who spoke a lot about "awareness of issues", "working with Digital Look to resolve issues" and "integration and improvements to Smart Investor ongoing" etc.
Finally he agreed to immediately take up my password reset email problem with Digital Look, so it appears things are in a bit of a mess in that department. He is going to ring me when he has an update.
It appears that they are aware of lots of problems and hopefully they are doing something about it. I must admit that I vented my frustration, including that of many other clients, rather strongly to Paul .... and he took it quite well!
Micawber
Posted: 25 December 2017 08:49:33(UTC)

Joined: 27/01/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1,797

Thanks: 798 times
Was thanked: 2689 time(s) in 1018 post(s)
If you're having problems getting your ISA or investment account transferred from Barclays you might want to write to the Mail's Tony Hetherington: http://www.thisismoney.c...-affecting-families.html
1 user thanked Micawber for this post.
David Trigg on 25/12/2017(UTC)
Stephen B.
Posted: 25 December 2017 10:15:32(UTC)

Joined: 26/09/2012(UTC)
Posts: 305

Thanks: 15 times
Was thanked: 227 time(s) in 132 post(s)
I finally sent my transfer form to HL last week, so no idea yet how long it will take ... I find it remarkable that there has still been no general communication at all, just replies to complaints. I still haven't paid any charges, but when I asked why not the reply was vague, it still isn't clear to me if the charges are being waived or just delayed.
David Trigg
Posted: 25 December 2017 11:21:19(UTC)

Joined: 20/03/2010(UTC)
Posts: 79

Thanks: 73 times
Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Stephen B.;54611 wrote:
I finally sent my transfer form to HL last week, so no idea yet how long it will take ... I find it remarkable that there has still been no general communication at all, just replies to complaints. I still haven't paid any charges, but when I asked why not the reply was vague, it still isn't clear to me if the charges are being waived or just delayed.



Good luck Stephen. I’m coming up to 4 months and the transfer not completed yet.
Michael Linham
Posted: 25 December 2017 11:36:59(UTC)

Joined: 23/02/2012(UTC)
Posts: 3

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
4 months seems about right. I opted out in July and Sagadirect received the final amount the end of November..... Have to say I am very pleased with the service I now get - delivered by Equiniti so happy to be out of Barclays....
1 user thanked Michael Linham for this post.
David Trigg on 25/12/2017(UTC)
Milo Don
Posted: 29 December 2017 16:35:55(UTC)

Joined: 18/05/2016(UTC)
Posts: 16

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I spoke too soon with my praise of HL!
They must have kissed Barclays under the Christmas mistletoe and caught something, as they now seem incapable to providing an accurate market price for equities.
andy mac
Posted: 29 December 2017 17:06:27(UTC)

Joined: 12/02/2016(UTC)
Posts: 219

Thanks: 132 times
Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 103 post(s)
I couldnt work out prices then remembered the LSE closed at 12.30 and that HL prices were wrong
Keith Hilton
Posted: 29 December 2017 17:07:27(UTC)

Joined: 20/08/2010(UTC)
Posts: 474

Thanks: 326 times
Was thanked: 461 time(s) in 260 post(s)
My despair with Barclays SI continues unabated. Working out my end of year figures, and saw that RIO sp was given as £36.00 (down 6.6%), although I thought that I'd seen them at about £39 earlier in the day. Going to the Analysis tab showed an sp of £38.88, although LSE gives a close of £39.42!!!

All I wanted was an accurate total for my portfolio value, but with unreliable prices, I've had to check out each holding elsewhere.

The sooner I make a decision on where to transfer to the better.
Stephen B.
Posted: 29 December 2017 19:38:38(UTC)

Joined: 26/09/2012(UTC)
Posts: 305

Thanks: 15 times
Was thanked: 227 time(s) in 132 post(s)
Bear in mind that trading will have been very thin this week, and if you look at the FTSE graph in the last few minutes of trade it abruptly rose about 60 points, which looks like a bit of manipulation. In the specific case of RIO, HL says the last 5 trades went:

12:59 - 29/12
Buy 404 3,888.26p £15,708.57
12:59 - 29/12
Buy 1001 3,883.35p £38,872.33
12:35 - 29/12
Buy 834771 3,942.00p £32,906,672.82
12:29 - 29/12
Buy 186 3,940.00p £7,328.40
12:29 - 29/12
Buy 46 3,940.00p £1,812.40

So which do you actually want as the closing price, 3942 which was the last sizeable trade, 3888 which was technically the last but for a small number of shares, or around 3910 that it was before that final surge? Not to mention that the pre-xmas trading finished at around 3750 so apparently it's gained about 5% this week on (probably) hardly any trading - any bets on where it goes next week?
1 user thanked Stephen B. for this post.
Mickey on 30/12/2017(UTC)
28 Pages«Previous page1819202122Next page»
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets