Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

trading 212
King Lodos
Posted: 15 September 2017 09:51:16(UTC)

Was thanked: 4776 time(s) in 1852 post(s)
Nick Saunders;51127 wrote:
Shouldn't happen. What stock?

All our prices come from an exchange or MTF. Nothing is internalised.

TRG (TR European Growth Trust)

It's just gone back to normal, but spent most the morning reading 5-10% lower.

1 user thanked King Lodos for this post.
Nick Saunders on 15/09/2017(UTC)
Nick Saunders
Posted: 15 September 2017 09:56:50(UTC)

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
It does look a bit odd on the chart - apparently a low and high of 1050 until 10.05. I'll see if I can shed any light on what happened.
Nick Saunders
Posted: 15 September 2017 10:11:55(UTC)

Not an ideal answer I'm afraid. The price on our platform comes from BATS. With less liquid stocks, either bid or offer can be 'eccentric' In terms of execution however, the trade goes through a smart order router which polls various venues and should get you the best price. So even though the price was showing this absurd spread, had you traded the execution would have been equivalent to HL.

I can see that this is not especially helpful, and will see if we can do anything about it. I can say categorically though that the prices you get trading through our platform should not be exaggerated to the extent you saw. Apologies for this
King Lodos
Posted: 15 September 2017 10:13:13(UTC)

Nick Saunders;51130 wrote:
It does look a bit odd on the chart - apparently a low and high of 1050 until 10.05. I'll see if I can shed any light on what happened.

Thanks so much .. It is something I get to a lesser extent with other ETFs and Investment Trusts on the platform too .. Certainly assuming it's an issue of liquidity – makes me a little cautious about using Stop Losses though.

King Lodos
Posted: 15 September 2017 10:16:53(UTC)

Nick Saunders;51132 wrote:
Not an ideal answer I'm afraid. The price on our platform comes from BATS. With less liquid stocks, either bid or offer can be 'eccentric' In terms of execution however, the trade goes through a smart order router which polls various venues and should get you the best price. So even though the price was showing this absurd spread, had you traded the execution would have been equivalent to HL.

I can see that this is not especially helpful, and will see if we can do anything about it. I can say categorically though that the prices you get trading through our platform should not be exaggerated to the extent you saw. Apologies for this

Ah, I did suspect that was the case – it always seems to bounce back.

And no problem at all .. Still wondering if it might cause a problem with automated trades? Thx again
Nick Saunders
Posted: 15 September 2017 10:20:48(UTC)

regarding stop losses - on physical equities these are treated as pending orders, and based on incumbent exchange feeds (e.g LSE), so there shouldn't be an issue. As you say, algo traders should ensure that the BATS offer never goes below LSE bid or similar, so it really is a liquidity issue.
King Lodos
Posted: 15 September 2017 10:32:09(UTC)

Excellent – that's good to have confirmed.

Otherwise, really great user experience – love the interface and how easy everything is to use
mark senior
Posted: 10 May 2018 08:56:17(UTC)

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 37 post(s)
King Lodos;51136 wrote:

Otherwise, really great user experience – love the interface and how easy everything is to use

@KL

With 7 months more experience, how are you finding Trading212?

Would be grateful of an update.

regards

Mark
lynne shaffer
Posted: 10 May 2018 11:31:17(UTC)

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Nick-can a uk citizen non-resident open an account at same cost as a uk resident citizen?
King Lodos
Posted: 10 May 2018 12:56:18(UTC)

mark senior;62007 wrote:
King Lodos;51136 wrote:

@KL

regards

Mark

I've still only got a small account with them – and I've not taken any money out yet .. But I love the site and service.

A few interface updates since I joined – generally looking and functioning even better; I can build lots of watchlists; stop losses have executed swiftly; transferring money in is very quick.

Naturally I've done a lot better since I've stopped trading and fiddling so much .. I've always had a love/hate relationship with trading-style platforms, because they make *doing something* so easy .. And with free trades, I was using them up every month (and going over) .. It's taken me about 6 months to get in the habit of doing less .. Like Jesse Livermore said: money is made by sitting, not trading .. I've just been sat on my 8 open stock positions, with no stops, for a while now – dividends coming in .. I don't really touch the CFDs .. I've not looked into the financial health of the company – which I've no reason to suspect has problems – but I'd do a little more research before putting a lot of money in .. and obviously the lack of ISA means it is taxed .. But it's been the perfect place to build a fun stock portfolio

1 user thanked King Lodos for this post.
mark senior on 10/05/2018(UTC)
mark senior
Posted: 10 May 2018 14:26:10(UTC)

King Lodos;62022 wrote:
mark senior;62007 wrote:
King Lodos;51136 wrote:

@KL

regards

Mark

I've still only got a small account with them – and I've not taken any money out yet .. But I love the site and service.

A few interface updates since I joined – generally looking and functioning even better; I can build lots of watchlists; stop losses have executed swiftly; transferring money in is very quick.

Naturally I've done a lot better since I've stopped trading and fiddling so much .. I've always had a love/hate relationship with trading-style platforms, because they make *doing something* so easy .. And with free trades, I was using them up every month (and going over) .. It's taken me about 6 months to get in the habit of doing less .. Like Jesse Livermore said: money is made by sitting, not trading .. I've just been sat on my 8 open stock positions, with no stops, for a while now – dividends coming in .. I don't really touch the CFDs .. I've not looked into the financial health of the company – which I've no reason to suspect has problems – but I'd do a little more research before putting a lot of money in .. and obviously the lack of ISA means it is taxed .. But it's been the perfect place to build a fun stock portfolio

Thanks for update, much appreciated.
In return I dug up this,
"Trading 212 users will also have full regulatory protection as parent company Avus Capital is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority."
1 user thanked mark senior for this post.
King Lodos on 10/05/2018(UTC)
Nick Saunders
Posted: 10 May 2018 15:27:30(UTC)

lynne shaffer;62014 wrote:
Nick-can a uk citizen non-resident open an account at same cost as a uk resident citizen?

Hi - Currently we're only accepting clients resident in the UK, Germany, the Netherlands and Canada. We only advertise in the first two. It sounds eclectic, but there are solid operational reasons why we've chosen these. Sorry if that doesn't help you.
Nick Saunders
Posted: 10 May 2018 15:31:09(UTC)

[
[/quote].
In return I dug up this,
"Trading 212 users will also have full regulatory protection as parent company Avus Capital is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority."[/quote]

Hi

Trading 212 UK Limited is authorised and regulated by FCA (FRN 609146). Audited accounts are publicly available at Companies House. Parent is not Avus Capital, but Trading 212 Group (formerly Avus Capital Group), which acts as a holding company for two subsidiaries (Trading 212 UK and Trading 212 Limited).
mark senior
Posted: 10 May 2018 17:19:23(UTC)

Nick Saunders;62033 wrote:
[
In return I dug up this,
"Trading 212 users will also have full regulatory protection as parent company Avus Capital is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority."[/quote]

Hi

Trading 212 UK Limited is authorised and regulated by FCA (FRN 609146). Audited accounts are publicly available at Companies House. Parent is not Avus Capital, but Trading 212 Group (formerly Avus Capital Group), which acts as a holding company for two subsidiaries (Trading 212 UK and Trading 212 Limited).
[/quote]

Hi Nick

Did Avus Capital simply change its name to Trading 212 Group? or did it sell the assets of Trading 212 UK and Trading 212 limited to a new holding company (Trading 212 group)
lynne shaffer
Posted: 11 May 2018 06:16:09(UTC)

ynne shaffer;62014 wrote:

Hi - Currently we're only accepting clients resident in the UK, Germany, the Netherlands and Canada. We only advertise in the first two. It sounds eclectic, but there are solid operational reasons why we've chosen these. Sorry if that doesn't help you.

Nick
Thanks- no, i'm resident in Israel! although do have an English address but am non-resident! Thanks- but perhaps you could consider it.
Nick Saunders
Posted: 11 May 2018 06:55:12(UTC)

mark senior;62048 wrote:
Nick Saunders;62033 wrote:
[
In return I dug up this,
"Trading 212 users will also have full regulatory protection as parent company Avus Capital is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority."

Hi

[/quote]

Hi Nick

Did Avus Capital simply change its name to Trading 212 Group? or did it sell the assets of Trading 212 UK and Trading 212 limited to a new holding company (Trading 212 group)[/quote]

Hi It was a simple name change to bring the company name in line with the brand. It's much easier to get service providers - such as custodian banks or credit reference agencies- to talk to you if they recognise the name.
Nick Saunders
Posted: 11 May 2018 07:00:23(UTC)

lynne shaffer;62094 wrote:
ynne shaffer;62014 wrote:

Nick
Thanks- no, i'm resident in Israel! although do have an English address but am non-resident! Thanks- but perhaps you could consider it.

Hi - The agreement we have with our sister company in Bulgaria limits where we can take clients from unfortunately. We do have a number of clients with two addresses though - perhaps they live somewhere sunnier in the winter, but maintain UK residence otherwise. As long as we can verify identity at a UK address, we don't mind which one they use.
Aminatidi
Posted: 13 May 2018 09:29:28(UTC)

Was thanked: 117 time(s) in 72 post(s)
So no catch at all, if I wanted to "play" with a small amount on equities, buy and hold, I can just register and do it for free (up to 10 trades a mont)?!

No charges for withdrawing cash?
Nick Saunders
Posted: 15 May 2018 09:49:29(UTC)

Well there's nothing I would describe as a catch - no platform fees, no inactivity charges or the like. Fees for transferring money depend on the method you use - the website will give you details of this, but generally withdrawing to a card is free (there are charges on the way in); withdrawing to a bank account is about £5 - we pass on the charges our bank charges us and you owuld pay anything your bank charges you to receive cash. You also have to pay stamp duty, PTM levy or other applicable taxes.

lynne shaffer
Posted: 15 May 2018 10:26:13(UTC)

What are the charges on the way in?
3 PagesPrevious page123Next page
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets