Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

ibm
dyfed
Posted: 18 June 2017 09:14:54(UTC)

Was thanked: 281 time(s) in 137 post(s)
Been a while since I heard "u never get sacked for buying IBM"...showing my age...
Price well down, but a couple of pundits over the last few months have suggested that it's got a good research dept with some bright ideas and is underrated. It appears in some technology trackers I've looked at recently in c 10th position. Any thoughts? And does it make any difference if u buy the UK version or the US?
john_r
Posted: 18 June 2017 19:50:29(UTC)

Was thanked: 168 time(s) in 83 post(s)
dyfed;48013 wrote:
Been a while since I heard "u never get sacked for buying IBM"...showing my age...

I guess that phrase was last used in the late seventies / early eighties since IBM has been fighting leadership battles on all fronts since that time.
Now 18th in the list of US largest public companies so still big numbers but "You'll never get rich buying IBM" might be more apt for today. But don't take my word for it - Warren Buffet is reported to have sold a third of his 50 million share holding in IBM this year after significant losses since investing in 2011.
To me it seems IBM is still able to hold on to its legacy mainframe business for captive customers but year by year product sales drop and IT services becomes more dominant. Perhaps falling revenue for 20 straight quarters gives some clue on direction.

1 user thanked john_r for this post.
dyfed on 18/06/2017(UTC)
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets