Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Cold calls regarding former Avis Europe shareholding
LondonInvestor101
Posted: 01 March 2017 16:20:52(UTC)

I keep being bugged by calls from (I think) people called Allied Capital about my previous holding in Avis Europe (shares redeemed under a scheme of arrangement some years ago), I am not prepared to engage in conversation with cold callers, but one of them got as far as telling me that some people have bonus shares which were not redeemed.

I am 99% sure that this is a scam of some sort, but does anyone know anything about this ?
jeffian
Posted: 02 March 2017 15:16:32(UTC)

Was thanked: 404 time(s) in 169 post(s)
No, but you can add 1% to that and be 100% sure it's a scam. There is simply no way that such an issue would be dealt with by a telephone call as the first point of contact.
LondonInvestor101
Posted: 02 March 2017 15:47:11(UTC)

jeffian;43919 wrote:
No, but you can add 1% to that and be 100% sure it's a scam. There is simply no way that such an issue would be dealt with by a telephone call as the first point of contact.

My feeling entirely. I have told them 3 times that I am not willing to talk to them on the phone and that they should write to me first ! Its annoying that they are so persistent, but each time they call it makes me feel just a little more uncertain that I have read the situation right. Its good to have some reassurance ! Now I can slam the phone down on them them without a second thought !!
jeffian
Posted: 02 March 2017 17:29:13(UTC)

Was thanked: 404 time(s) in 169 post(s)
The fact that they're so persistent means that they think they have something on you or you are 'susceptible'. You don't have to have fallen for a scam to be included on the 'suckers lists' that can be bought by the unscrupulous. I was, probably because I used to hold all my investments in certificated form and shareholder lists are pretty easily acquired.

Incidentally, google 'Allied Capital' (the name of the people you say approached you). Interesting reading!
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets