Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Standing Charge
magic beans
Posted: 28 January 2017 09:41:49(UTC)

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Just had notification from Good Energy (sic) that the Standing Charge is increasing by 15.85%.
The good news is the price p/kWh is only 8.54%.
Haven't changed supplier recently for a while but on my to do list.
Have you noticed that when you get the quote for changing supplier its always much better but by the end of the first year it turns out that you have used more than estimated so its not a real saving.
Perhaps the suppliers should be forced to provide an upper/lower estimate.

PS
Just turned the notification over and Gas Standing Charge is +32%.
TJL
Posted: 28 January 2017 10:03:31(UTC)

Was thanked: 316 time(s) in 167 post(s)
I switched from British Gas to Scottish Power using uswitch (extremely easy) on a promise of a reduction in my direct debit of about £52 down to about £44.
My payments have risen incrementally to £72 since, although my account is well in credit.
I have no doubt I'll get any credit back when my contract comes to an end in April, but I've started to examine my daily usage, which remains consistent and doesn't change - something's wrong somewhere.
srg751
Posted: 28 January 2017 10:05:19(UTC)

Was thanked: 959 time(s) in 486 post(s)

Imagine a world where all energy providers simply quoted a price per unit/therm consumed. But then we'd be able to understand what we were paying for,...
The endless amount of campaigners would have to go home,.. and all these comparison sites would have to close down, depriving them of millions £ in advertising revenue, but that would be too easy.
1 user thanked srg751 for this post.
Micawber on 29/01/2017(UTC)
TJL
Posted: 28 January 2017 10:11:39(UTC)

Was thanked: 316 time(s) in 167 post(s)
Just checked, currently slightly short of 3 month's payments in credit (over £220).
I've used electricity costing about £41 over the last month (i.e. more or less in line with the quote they gave me which induced me to switch).
I'm not really bothered about these things as long as I get my money back, but as I said, something's wrong somewhere.
Jeff Liddiard
Posted: 28 January 2017 11:15:05(UTC)

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 110 post(s)
srg751;42401 wrote:

Imagine a world where all energy providers simply quoted a price per unit/therm consumed. But then we'd be able to understand what we were paying for,...
The endless amount of campaigners would have to go home,.. and all these comparison sites would have to close down, depriving them of millions £ in advertising revenue, but that would be too easy.

They do quote a price per unit. My fixed price term is ending soon and I'm doing what I always do at this time, which is multiply the number of kWh used over the previous 12 months by the kWh price quoted plus the daily standing charge x 365. That way you know what you will be paying on that basis. If you use more you pay more, use less pay less. I don't take any notice of the monthly DD payment they quote as you only pay for what use in the end. DDs rise and fall with usage to balance out the account and if ever overpaid by a significant amount can be refunded. However, with the smart meters now on offer DD payments are usually amended often enough to keep the account fairly balanced. So at the moment I'm looking for a supplier with the lowest cost combining standing daily cost and kWh cost, but also good customer service. I'm using British Gas at the moment on a collective deal, just waiting for Moneysaving expert to come up with another collective deal to compare.
magic beans
Posted: 29 January 2017 10:18:35(UTC)

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Its not the unit price that hacks me off its the standing charge increase of +15% & +32%.
I suppose OFGEM control the unit price while the standing charge is fair game.
Just like the Broadband tax and don't get me going on the Water Rates.
GRRRRR
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets