Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Stocks for 2017
CUEBALL
Posted: 20 December 2016 15:41:55(UTC)

Joined: 06/04/2014(UTC)
Posts: 948

Thanks: 198 times
Was thanked: 383 time(s) in 247 post(s)
..mine's a Nokia....

Carclo....hope you took advantage aside the directors... during the recent 'sale' Henderson just did ....not too late ...will '17' be 'the' year? they seem to think so...
Micawber
Posted: 20 December 2016 17:47:22(UTC)
#98

Joined: 27/01/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1,456

Thanks: 574 times
Was thanked: 2013 time(s) in 790 post(s)
CUEBALL;40682 wrote:
.....................................STOCKS FOR 2017.....
'Doing' a 'Kiam' ...with ADN ....in anticipation of the 'bums rush' later in the year.



It would certainly be one in the eye for the broker bums who currently have troubled ADN as

Strong Sell
(3 of 14)

Sell
(5 of 14)

Neutral
(5 of 14)

Buy
(0 of 14)

Strong Buy
(1 of 14)

But whadda they know.
1 user thanked Micawber for this post.
CUEBALL on 20/12/2016(UTC)
CUEBALL
Posted: 20 December 2016 18:07:14(UTC)

Joined: 06/04/2014(UTC)
Posts: 948

Thanks: 198 times
Was thanked: 383 time(s) in 247 post(s)
...Congrat's on your sell earlier in the year Macca.....but let's be honest would I be saying that if Hillary..........? just goes to show....You never know.....just seems to me one of those moments.....

..real moments...fascinating....even more than phones...x
King Lodos
Posted: 20 December 2016 18:52:22(UTC)

Joined: 05/01/2016(UTC)
Posts: 1,319

Thanks: 212 times
Was thanked: 1398 time(s) in 634 post(s)
Honestly .. I've read Naked Lunch cover to cover more times than I can remember .. Ulysses – no problem.

But Cueball's posts are pure Finnegans Wake..

I'm not sure Micawber and co. aren't just seeing patterns in clouds when responding to them.
CUEBALL
Posted: 20 December 2016 19:37:23(UTC)

Joined: 06/04/2014(UTC)
Posts: 948

Thanks: 198 times
Was thanked: 383 time(s) in 247 post(s)
...so you didn't buy schroder's then...and...

..what's Kirk Douglas got to do with it....ha ha ha

Your never gonna make it son.....
1 user thanked CUEBALL for this post.
King Lodos on 21/12/2016(UTC)
srg751
Posted: 20 December 2016 19:54:56(UTC)

Joined: 10/08/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1,142

Thanks: 395 times
Was thanked: 959 time(s) in 486 post(s)
King Lodos;40690 wrote:
Honestly .. I've read Naked Lunch cover to cover more times than I can remember .. Ulysses – no problem.

But Cueball's posts are pure Finnegans Wake..

I'm not sure Micawber and co. aren't just seeing patterns in clouds when responding to them.


Not entirely.

Bought Barclays pre Lodo
Bought Carclo in anticipation
Bought (poly) 'pipes' .....infra
'Brought' Schroder ( out of the gutter in Feb) ... leveraged play on recovery of markets
Loves Chris Mills... and Whitbread,.... And Gleesons, ...And Norcros, ...and Ashtead, ...and a recruiter ??
Doesn't appreciate talk of phones on this thread
Thinking/is buying ADN........due to current pull back in EM stocks (now that's the first sign I've seen. I'll keep my eye on him). .... (better entry point on the next pull back)? ... Ultimate contrarian. ....But hey, ....I can think of some contrarians running multi million pound accounts. .....successfully.


Takes two to make a market.

X


1 user thanked srg751 for this post.
King Lodos on 21/12/2016(UTC)
srg751
Posted: 20 December 2016 20:29:02(UTC)

Joined: 10/08/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1,142

Thanks: 395 times
Was thanked: 959 time(s) in 486 post(s)
For stock aficionados , here's share sleuths screen looking for value shares. Profitable over 1, 3, 5 and 10 years.
Earnings yield above 10%,

https://docs.google.com/...OtuE0rTMk0b-9eg/htmlview
3 users thanked srg751 for this post.
Micawber on 20/12/2016(UTC), Dian on 21/12/2016(UTC), Jeff Liddiard on 21/12/2016(UTC)
Dian
Posted: 21 December 2016 09:26:05(UTC)

Joined: 09/10/2016(UTC)
Posts: 166

Thanks: 100 times
Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 36 post(s)
In my view 2017 is going to be year for global value stocks. Rotation could take place towards value stocks segment.
srg751
Posted: 21 December 2016 09:50:13(UTC)

Joined: 10/08/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1,142

Thanks: 395 times
Was thanked: 959 time(s) in 486 post(s)
Dian;40697 wrote:
In my view 2017 is going to be year for global value stocks. Rotation could take place towards value stocks segment.


I think that's been happening for a while Dian.
My boring income stocks are now giving my cyclicals a run for their money. Sector performance month to date on the S & P bears this out. Start a watchlist on your potential targets and just keep an eye on them for the immediate future would be my advice.
My builders are under 'consideration' !..... And I'm keeping an eye on the gold price.


On a different note, I've held VOD for 3 years and it's gone nowhere. So I'm seriously thinking of calling it a draw. Income alone isn't enough to hold it for me. Comments ?

Finally, Brewin Dolphin keeps coming up as a buy on my screen. Anyone hold it ??

dyfed
Posted: 21 December 2016 10:17:08(UTC)

Joined: 01/09/2016(UTC)
Posts: 245

Thanks: 340 times
Was thanked: 274 time(s) in 135 post(s)
"On a different note, I've held VOD for 3 years and it's gone nowhere. So I'm seriously thinking of calling it a draw. Income alone isn't enough to hold it for me. Comments ?"

Sold mine 3 weeks ago, as I am normally a buy-and-hold type....but friend of mine who bets on horses bought about the same time
Micawber
Posted: 21 December 2016 10:17:28(UTC)

Joined: 27/01/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1,456

Thanks: 574 times
Was thanked: 2013 time(s) in 790 post(s)
srg751;40699 wrote:
Dian;40697 wrote:
In my view 2017 is going to be year for global value stocks. Rotation could take place towards value stocks segment.


I think that's been happening for a while Dian.
My boring income stocks are now giving my cyclicals a run for their money. Sector performance month to date on the S & P bears this out. Start a watchlist on your potential targets and just keep an eye on them for the immediate future would be my advice.
My builders are under 'consideration' !..... And I'm keeping an eye on the gold price.


On a different note, I've held VOD for 3 years and it's gone nowhere. So I'm seriously thinking of calling it a draw. Income alone isn't enough to hold it for me. Comments ?

Finally, Brewin Dolphin keeps coming up as a buy on my screen. Anyone hold it ??



I'm not fully convinced that this 'value' trend has much serious underpinning outside the US market. Global growth will remain low; emerging markets hampered by rising dollar (if, that is, it rises further than it already has with the Fed setting out its stall); the hunt for yield is still on; and boomers are only a few years into the retirement wave. So this *could* turn out to be a buying opportunity for solid globally represented dividend growers.... until the Trump hangover sets in around the end of Feb.

VOD is on my watchlist for two years but every time I look at it I conclude that it's a clapped out company that's had its day, sold the family silver, laid out the cash to the family, and is looking to buy itself a role in the EU....

Perhaps that means it will go up and I'll kick myself; but surely you can find better investments at the moment. If it's yield you're after, have you checked out P2P Global in the past week or so?..... at a discount of 20%... and recently okayed by the FCA.
3 users thanked Micawber for this post.
srg751 on 21/12/2016(UTC), Jeff Liddiard on 21/12/2016(UTC), Mr Helpful on 21/12/2016(UTC)
CUEBALL
Posted: 21 December 2016 13:53:38(UTC)

Joined: 06/04/2014(UTC)
Posts: 948

Thanks: 198 times
Was thanked: 383 time(s) in 247 post(s)
..see if you can understand this.......

Re: ADN. EM ETF Call volume.Highest since june .....
CUEBALL
Posted: 21 December 2016 13:59:35(UTC)

Joined: 06/04/2014(UTC)
Posts: 948

Thanks: 198 times
Was thanked: 383 time(s) in 247 post(s)
...are you really convinced about trump....really...?....... in the words of Bob......

..Oh the yields they are a fallin....
CUEBALL
Posted: 21 December 2016 15:01:28(UTC)

Joined: 06/04/2014(UTC)
Posts: 948

Thanks: 198 times
Was thanked: 383 time(s) in 247 post(s)
Thought for the new year....

I was enjoying a drive through the beautiful Cheshire countryside this morning ..sun out.... low in

the sky ...creating this truly gorgeous 'Turner' backdrop ....when I came across a field teeming

with.... shall we say... 'birds of the season' all chirping away enjoying their organic 'freedom'....

...playing merrilly belly's... endless 'feed' ...bliss....ermm ....Made me think..'thing's'......

are never quite what they seem.




Alan Selwood
Posted: 21 December 2016 15:11:18(UTC)

Joined: 17/12/2011(UTC)
Posts: 2,266

Thanks: 416 times
Was thanked: 3185 time(s) in 1281 post(s)
Aren't they in the bird flu 'keep stock indoors' area, then?
CUEBALL
Posted: 21 December 2016 15:17:28(UTC)

Joined: 06/04/2014(UTC)
Posts: 948

Thanks: 198 times
Was thanked: 383 time(s) in 247 post(s)
Actually they were just being rounded up ...I can't think why....
CUEBALL
Posted: 24 December 2016 14:39:13(UTC)

Joined: 06/04/2014(UTC)
Posts: 948

Thanks: 198 times
Was thanked: 383 time(s) in 247 post(s)
The trials and tribulations of Carillion....

Infrastucture: how we suffer ...will it get better ? certainly not in my lifetime...could that aspect have been alleviated ..yes

"AS WE HAVE GROWN AND AS WE HAVE MET THE NEEDS OF NATIONAL INFRASTRUCTURE, 30 TO 40% OF WORKERS ON CONTRACTS CAN BE FROM EASTERN EUROPE. AND QUITE WHERE THOSE WORKERS WOULD HAVE COME FROM WITHOUT FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT I'M NOT ENTIRELY SURE.IF YOU LOOK BACK OVER THE CENTURIES WHEN WE BUILT THE CANALS THE ROADWAY'S AND THE RAILWAY'S IN VICTORIAN TIMES AND BEFORE THEY WERE RESOURCED FROM OVERSEAS MAINLY FROM IRELAND. SO IT ISN'T A NEW PHENOMENON.IT'S A PHENOMENON IN OUR MIND'S THAT HAS EXISTED FOR A NUMBER OF CENTURIES."

Richard Howson Ceo.

Whilst on holiday this summer ...we got friendly with a charming young couple ..He Russian born she Ukranian ...heavily pregnant with their first child.They spoke about the wonderful place they worked and lived...The generous maternity and childcare support they would receive the fantastic schools and further education.In fact from cradle to grave they waxed about the 'comfort' they felt, particularly in old age...they felt safe,and secure..cared for.

Oh....they were both german citizens..they told of the 'running joke' about how after the war the british insisted that their products were marked 'made in germany' and how we are not so insistent now....

Carillion will not be the only company to have problems no doubt ...how long that rail line/runway etc is going to take god(?) only knows...

So enjoy the misery awhile longer ..ah ...but no...you don't have to make those journey's do you?





Alan Selwood
Posted: 24 December 2016 17:22:52(UTC)

Joined: 17/12/2011(UTC)
Posts: 2,266

Thanks: 416 times
Was thanked: 3185 time(s) in 1281 post(s)
CUEBALL;40719 wrote:
Actually they were just being rounded up ...I can't think why....


Like the Matt cartoon in the Telegraph this week:

One turkey to another:
'There's good news and bad news'
The good news is that we're getting superfast broadband next year
The bad news is that I've just googled 'Christmas'..............!!
1 user thanked Alan Selwood for this post.
CUEBALL on 26/12/2016(UTC)
Jon Snow
Posted: 25 December 2016 00:16:45(UTC)

Joined: 02/03/2014(UTC)
Posts: 959

Thanks: 589 times
Was thanked: 677 time(s) in 375 post(s)
CUEBALL;40779 wrote:
The trials and tribulations of Carillion....

Infrastucture: how we suffer ...will it get better ? certainly not in my lifetime...could that aspect have been alleviated ..yes

"AS WE HAVE GROWN AND AS WE HAVE MET THE NEEDS OF NATIONAL INFRASTRUCTURE, 30 TO 40% OF WORKERS ON CONTRACTS CAN BE FROM EASTERN EUROPE. AND QUITE WHERE THOSE WORKERS WOULD HAVE COME FROM WITHOUT FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT I'M NOT ENTIRELY SURE.IF YOU LOOK BACK OVER THE CENTURIES WHEN WE BUILT THE CANALS THE ROADWAY'S AND THE RAILWAY'S IN VICTORIAN TIMES AND BEFORE THEY WERE RESOURCED FROM OVERSEAS MAINLY FROM IRELAND. SO IT ISN'T A NEW PHENOMENON.IT'S A PHENOMENON IN OUR MIND'S THAT HAS EXISTED FOR A NUMBER OF CENTURIES."

Richard Howson Ceo.

Whilst on holiday this summer ...we got friendly with a charming young couple ..He Russian born she Ukranian ...heavily pregnant with their first child.They spoke about the wonderful place they worked and lived...The generous maternity and childcare support they would receive the fantastic schools and further education.In fact from cradle to grave they waxed about the 'comfort' they felt, particularly in old age...they felt safe,and secure..cared for.

Oh....they were both german citizens..they told of the 'running joke' about how after the war the british insisted that their products were marked 'made in germany' and how we are not so insistent now....

Carillion will not be the only company to have problems no doubt ...how long that rail line/runway etc is going to take god(?) only knows...

So enjoy the misery awhile longer ..ah ...but no...you don't have to make those journey's do you?


Cuey, the care industry, agriculture, construction etc. I'm holding my CLLN.

I don't have to make those journeys either.





Dian
Posted: 25 December 2016 00:43:49(UTC)

Joined: 09/10/2016(UTC)
Posts: 166

Thanks: 100 times
Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Sector picking will be a key success factor when it comes to the stocks for 2017.
8 Pages«Previous page45678Next page
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets