Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Best online dealing platform for a SIPP and an ISA??
Andrew Carmichael
Posted: 05 June 2011 12:59:42(UTC)

Has anyone found the perfect online broker? I have been with Interactive Investor Share Dealing for a few years and although I it has always worked its a bit clunky - and (unless I have missed something) - its not possible to place a limit order and a stop at the same time.

What I want to do is to do my research whilst the markets are closed and place a limit order to get in with a stop already in place so that if it goes against me then my losses are limited - has anyone found an economic service that does that?

Many thanks in advance for any comments and advice -
Steve123
Posted: 05 June 2011 13:08:07(UTC)

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Selftrade seems to offer this facility, though I have not tried it myself. See http://www.selftrade.co....it-and-stop-orders.php. I would be interested in others' comments.
Edmond Jackson
Posted: 06 June 2011 13:18:39(UTC)

Perfect broker, as in perfect woman, dream on!
David Trigg
Posted: 06 June 2011 17:49:01(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I user Barclays Stockbrokers for ISAs and Sippdeal for SIPPs.
arif shaikh
Posted: 08 June 2011 23:58:40(UTC)

Andrew Car....

Very difficult to beat Hargreaves Lansdown for sheer efficiency, helpfulness and cheapness of cost.

Arif Shaikh
bwanakuba
Posted: 09 June 2011 07:58:27(UTC)

@Edmond Jackson,

Fully agree with you.

I paid massive amounts to Brewin Dolphin as i was

"asleep"; Changed over to H-L ,,,They are a lot better

compared to BD but now that i have woken up

I think i ought to find some one still cheaper. Can

any one please advise??? Has anyone produced

a comparative chart????Any internet Link please?????

Joe Soap
Posted: 09 June 2011 08:18:38(UTC)

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 9 post(s)
It really depends what you want to invest in. HL are unbeatable really for unit trusts and OEICs but are not competitive for other asset classes.
Edmond Jackson
Posted: 09 June 2011 08:24:47(UTC)

Has anyone any experience of iDealing? This firm got an award for best online Direct Market Access, last year. Obviously, an effective broker is not just about DMA trading.
chazza
Posted: 09 June 2011 09:22:33(UTC)

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Best Invest Select appears to be cheaper than HL across the board, but especially for ISAs and SIPPs invested in investments trusts / shares rather than units trusts / OEICs. Their admin appears at least as good as HL's, and their research has, in my experience, been much better and more useful, but I haven't used them to trade on-line. Has anybody?
P L
Posted: 09 June 2011 09:29:03(UTC)

Was thanked: 242 time(s) in 109 post(s)
For cheap execution only flat rate RT dealing (£5.95/deal + stampduty) have you checked out www.X-O.co.uk ( run by Javis).
It's advertised as a no frills service - and they really are not lying. If your thing is brightly coloured webpages with interesting icons, pictures and adverts then avoid, if on the other hand you like cheap, managing everything online and a completely white page only containing plain text you'll be as happy as a pig in ......

What you see below is pretty much all you get, excepting the font has a red/blue colour for the +/-change data value - No frills means no frills - dealing and info are driven by stock code not name (yes even allowing the stock name to be use is too much frill).
So far it has been just as effiicient / reliable as any of the other platforms I have access too

Stock Quantity Book Cost Price Value %Change
name (i)(~)(£) 1000 1,000 1.05 1,050 +5
name (i)(~)(£) 500 1,000 1.80 900 -10

Totals

Total Book Cost 2,000
Change -2.5%

Total Value 1,950
Cash 500
Totals 2,450

The icons
(i) show stock info
(~) show chart
(£) Deal

Dealing page

By or sell by Share quantity or Value
Order Type : M
arket or Stop Loss or Good For Today or Good Through
Limit Price (in pence)
Trigger Price (in pence)
david rogers
Posted: 09 June 2011 10:30:20(UTC)

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I have used Alliance Trust Savings for Isa investments. It is fine for ITs as long as they are on the LSE. The list of funds is not fully comprehensive but the discounts on the ones that are there are better than the competion. They also include the very cheap Vanguard ones (uniquely I think?) On line dealing is not the cheapest at £12.50 . Not yet use them for ordinary non ISA investments
Joe Bloggs
Posted: 09 June 2011 18:57:07(UTC)

T D Waterhouse, I have used them for years, without hiccup.
Anonymous Post
Posted: 09 June 2011 19:25:25(UTC)
Anonymous 1 needed this 'Off the Record'

I have found that HL permits setting limits sell/buy for one day only. I like to set them for one to three months to save myself the hastle of constantly monitorig performance.
TDW permit this, but their IT Dept has limitations, on more than one occasion it did not recognise, which share I wanted to buy.
Like Andrew Carmichael, I would like to deal with limit stops etc, but for longer periods of a month or more.
Any one with experience of this?
paul kaye
Posted: 09 June 2011 19:46:05(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have used T D WATERHOUSE for years and have been very happy
Gerico41
Posted: 09 June 2011 20:04:50(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have found Selftrade to be good all round value for service and modest volume trading. They have introduced a valuation charge for probate so don't die with them.

I also use the Share Centre and pay a quarterly fee to get cheaper flat rate dealing. I benefit from a shareholder's discount with this firm. Be careful about their charges for ISA' s etc. and their standard dealing charges.

GERICO
P Williams
Posted: 09 June 2011 20:40:44(UTC)

I find Self Trade best for equity dealing and their stop loss, limit buy and trailing loss functionality works fine.

I use HL for UT investments in SIPPS and ISA but not for trading - they are too expensive. Alliance trust is OK cheap but poor functionality and their Morning Star research is slow and not always available. So for me a mix is best and most economical.

Hope this helps

Paul
Anonymous Post
Posted: 09 June 2011 21:42:07(UTC)
Anonymous 2 needed this 'Off the Record'

TD Waterhouse has great support for foreign stock exchanges e.g. Canada but has a limitation which annoys me - you have to choose to have either a limit order or a stop order, you cannot have both. Selftrade allows both limit and stop loss orders simultaneously which is a more logical offering. I have spoken to TDW over the years but they say it is "impossible". They would get a lot more of my business if they made it possible.
Susan
Posted: 09 June 2011 22:48:49(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
have used TD waterhouse for a while and am happy with them for short term dealing. Best invest had just launched ttheir online dealing platform but, after many years of being a total advocate, am now very disillusioned. Hargreaves Lansdown are extremely quick, efficient and provide good analysis. Today, they're my number one but. as the saying goes, tomorrow is another day.
Malcolm Gliksten
Posted: 09 June 2011 22:59:15(UTC)

Imho It isn't just a question of a broker with the cheapest commissions. I use Internaxx who charge a bit more than many online brokers, but I like the other things they offer. Principally multi-currency accounts with forexing between them at between 1% and 0.5% from the spot rate and margin which operates like an automatic overdraft up to 50% of your securities. Also excellent for online trading on the Canadian and Australian markets at barely more commission than London.
I also phone up and talk with the very helpful brokers- they will do difficult trades by phone at no more cost than online.

They obviously can't beat Hargreaves L for UK funds but match them on Offshore funds.

For US stocks though it seems that Interactive Brokers in New York are pretty unbeatable. Commission on NYSE and Nasdaq stocks are $1 a trade. Such negligeable commission means its possible to buy a stock in very small increments, (I am presently buying Proshares Ultra Silver ETF at 10 shares at a time). They also give automatic margin based on the risk factor of your stocks

For CFD trading , Guardian Stockbrokers, again maybe a bit more in commission than some, but worth every penny because of the friendly and dispassionate help they give.

Malcolm
Franco
Posted: 09 June 2011 23:27:59(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
For share dealing, I find Nat West Brokerline quite good, reasonable fees and importantly, no inactivity fees.
For share dealings HL are too expensive and charge inactivity fees and for UT/OEIC they are hopeless. Their Initial charge rebates are variable and their annual rebates are pitiful. For these products, for a small one off fee, Cavendish onLine rebate all their initial and annual commission, execution only. By far the cheapest, helpful and polite.
3 Pages123Next page
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets