Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Edward 150
Posted: 27 February 2013 19:03:34(UTC)

Hi All, I am sure this has been asked before....................
I have a sum £100k to invest for 5 yrs, now suggestions.My StakeholdersPension shows I am pretty poor at this so I need possibly 50% fixed the rest I like Latin America, Asia, Energy .Invesco.
I also have the position where I can place min £1000 per month in over the next 5 yrs before I retire.
Difficult to get a good Planner so any suggestion.Been burnt once by Equitable Life so I am a bit cautious to say the least.

So would appreciate your ideas.
Jeremy Bosk
Posted: 28 February 2013 02:24:57(UTC)

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 111 post(s)
I like the model portfolios on the Investors Chronicle web site. Take out a subscription and have a look. It is an all round good read for investors with an archive of articles on investing that go back years.

No, I do not work for them, nor do I have shares in Pearson who own them!
Michiel Terlouw
Posted: 14 March 2013 20:55:38(UTC)

Five years is too short to invest in equity.

Alan Selwood
Posted: 15 March 2013 00:39:59(UTC)

Was thanked: 841 time(s) in 339 post(s)
Edward 150;18368 wrote:
Hi All, I am sure this has been asked before....................
I have a sum £100k to invest for 5 yrs, now suggestions.My StakeholdersPension shows I am pretty poor at this so I need possibly 50% fixed the rest I like Latin America, Asia, Energy .Invesco.
I also have the position where I can place min £1000 per month in over the next 5 yrs before I retire.
Difficult to get a good Planner so any suggestion.Been burnt once by Equitable Life so I am a bit cautious to say the least.

So would appreciate your ideas.

Five years may be a bit short for equities. It may also turn out to be too long for fixed-interest stocks (gilts, corporate bonds, etc) if all the money printing of the last 5 years creates the fairly predictable rise in interest rates and inflation. 5 years of cash deposits also looks a bit like a hiding to nothing in terms of inflation protection.

So, some questions:
Why 5 years? Is this a figure plucked out of the air, or do you have known commitments that require that sort of sum to be available to spend in 2018?
Why do you think that emerging markets will be a more reliable way to create value over 5 years than the developed world?
Is the £100,000 part of a larger existing portfolio and how does what you do with the £100,000 create a realistic, diversified spread of assets that will protect you from the wolves of future uncertain results?
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets