Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

New to website Q's on FTSE 100
Jay Sulivan
Posted: 24 January 2013 19:20:43(UTC)

Hi people,

I'm very new to this website.

I'm wondering if there are any websites which give you information and straight to the point forecasts on the FTSE 100. Also if any websites offer discussions where you post your view etc?

Also I'm just wondering what everyone thinks about the FTSE100 market? There certainly has been a jump since the USA agreed the fiscal, which has caused a sudden gain on our UK market. Its just with the amount of high street shops closing and jobs still being cut every week by the thousands, I just can't help thinking the downfall of the FTSE is going to come sooner rather than later...... Money being spent when there is none to spend??

Whats everyones views?

Jay Sulivan
TJL
Posted: 24 January 2013 20:06:21(UTC)

Was thanked: 131 time(s) in 71 post(s)
Hello Jay,
Yes, there are plenty of websites on which 'experts' will advise you on the direction of the FTSE, but for every expert who says one thing, there will be another who says the opposite (so you have to make your own mind up really).
You can post your views (and read everyone else's) on loads of websites, my favorites at the moment are this one and Trustnet, check out Motley Fool as well.
I believe the unemployment figures are promising currently, but yes, things are fragile (although markets are rampant) and a correction is inevitable.
My current pre-occupation is when to take profits, but timing the markets is the Holy Grail.
One last thought, these days there is a lot more to investing than the FTSE - emerging markets, Europe, USA etc.
Jay Sulivan
Posted: 24 January 2013 21:35:11(UTC)

TJL;17694 wrote:
Hello Jay,
Yes, there are plenty of websites on which 'experts' will advise you on the direction of the FTSE, but for every expert who says one thing, there will be another who says the opposite (so you have to make your own mind up really).
You can post your views (and read everyone else's) on loads of websites, my favorites at the moment are this one and Trustnet, check out Motley Fool as well.
I believe the unemployment figures are promising currently, but yes, things are fragile (although markets are rampant) and a correction is inevitable.
My current pre-occupation is when to take profits, but timing the markets is the Holy Grail.
One last thought, these days there is a lot more to investing than the FTSE - emerging markets, Europe, USA etc.

Do you think I should invest in the FTSE going up or down I'm thinking wait until Monday but I don't want to miss out lol
TJL
Posted: 24 January 2013 21:54:58(UTC)

Was thanked: 131 time(s) in 71 post(s)
Jay,
Wrong idea.
Investing is about long term and diversification.
Whether the FTSE goes up or down between tomorrow (Friday) and Monday, you won't make or lose much (unless your are investing thousands, in which case you are talking about gambling, not investing).
1 user thanked TJL for this post.
Clive B on 25/01/2013(UTC)
Jeremy Bosk
Posted: 26 January 2013 14:02:06(UTC)

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 111 post(s)
Jay

I believe we are in for a bout of profit taking so you will be able to get into the market at today's prices or lower for the next several months, possibly until Autumn. So there is no rush to pile in. If you cannot resist the urge then buy defensives - utilities and food producers. You can go to a site such as Digitallook.com or the London Stock Exchange and see shares listed by sector and by index e.g. utilities in the FTSE 100.

I personally never invest in large caps on the principle that elephants don't gallop. But small caps have their own risks. You should take your time and read up on investing generally - there are lots of excellent articles on this site, on iii.co.uk and on fool.co.uk to name but a few.

You need to decide whether you are interested in growth, income or both. You need to think about whether you are really interested in the FTSE 100 or in shares generally. There are several thousand UK listed shares outside that index.

There are all sorts of approaches.

I used to buy shares because I liked the story - wonderful new technology / drug / software / marketing idea... will revolutionise the industry blah, blah. Most of these were briefly fashionable and the price rose for a while, then the price drifted down and down over years. After ten or fifteen years, most had either been taken over, changed their business model or gone bust. A very few came back and performed wonderfully. I realised that there was no way to tell which stories were believable, which would ever do well and if they did when they would.

I also tried following press tips. Most are either rubbish or rehashing something given out to clients by a broking firm. The clients get in first and make the most. A few good tipsters exist - Simon Thompson in the Investors Chronicle for example. His tips jump as soon as they are published, often by over ten per cent. You can wait and hope the price drifts back down again or you can try to get in first.

Broker tips need to be taken with a bucketful of salt.

Then I decided to do my own research and maintain a long list of shares that would be good buys at the right price and a short list of shares that looked good now. In roaring bull markets growth shares do best, in bear markets utilities and consumer staples. The market has been rising for a while now with ups and downs. Opinions differ on whether it will keep going or fall back a long way. I expect, without any great conviction, a gradual upward trend with dips. In which case shares with a safe and historically rising dividend would seem to be the ticket.

I use Sharescope software to list shares by yield, dividend cover, dividend growth, gearing (or leverage - debt) and various other criteria. Then I take the candidates and look at charts of their price in absolute terms and relative to sector and market indices. So I overlay price momentum onto the fundamentals. The I look at the web sites of all the companies on the short list and read the reports, the recruitment section (lots of skilled vacancies is usually a good sign) and the information provided for customers.

You could do much the same with the free facilities on digitallook.com or other sites such as Citywire. This is my approach and works for me. You may have different tastes and a different personality, so find what suits you.
Carol Karl
Posted: 23 February 2013 10:11:06(UTC)

This is the only problem with every investor. They invest money in the market when it is critical. We must wait for the market to become volatile. On the other hand, take advice from some professional investing concern like an attorney south Florida.
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets