Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Mötley Fool ?
Pat Stubbs
Posted: 02 January 2013 16:08:09(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Does anyone subscribe to Mötley Fool and if so, is it worthwhile?
Thank you.
Tricky
Posted: 03 January 2013 10:13:39(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I just get the emails, which I find so sales oriented that I decided that even if the advice was sound I probably wouldn't follow it on principle, like resisting double glazing salesmen! I would be interested to hear from anyone with a positive view too.
J Bewey
Posted: 03 January 2013 11:02:58(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I subscribe to Motley Fool; in broker speak I have them rated as as hold for now. Some of their past recommendations have been on the ball but that was before I signed up. Currently the recommendations are not performing that well.
2 users thanked J Bewey for this post.
Pat Stubbs on 03/01/2013(UTC), Alan Jay on 04/01/2013(UTC)
Alan Jay
Posted: 04 January 2013 06:44:27(UTC)

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 7 post(s)
"Some of their past recommendations have been on the ball but that was before I signed up."" .... so presumably that means you were told about them after the event. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
I think that you've just convinced me not to invest and to stop their email. I have been wary for a while because of the many special subscription offers they kept making.
1 user thanked Alan Jay for this post.
Pat Stubbs on 04/01/2013(UTC)
Jeremy Bosk
Posted: 04 January 2013 07:29:26(UTC)

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 111 post(s)
I do not use any of their paid for services but often visit their discussion boards. I would particularly recommend:

Pauly Pilot's Pub
1 user thanked Jeremy Bosk for this post.
mikest
Posted: 04 January 2013 15:38:01(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Pat, I’ve used Motley Fool Stock Advisor for about 8 years on and off, but only for buying/selling US shares. They are great educators although I agree with Alan Jay that a recent increase in offers to join their ‘special’ services can be annoying. Last year I paid $98 for a 2 -yr subscription and although I haven’t bought any more yet, I have several companies on my watch-list. Dealing in US shares can be expensive depending on your broker, but I just felt I needed some hands-on exposure to this market
1 user thanked mikest for this post.
merchant_adventurer
Posted: 04 January 2013 19:49:52(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Yes I have also been on and off their site for some 10 years now and recall when they were very much a champion to educate the uninitiated and books were the order of the day.
I also subscribe to most of the emails theses days and whilst still finding many many articles interesting can confirm that the majority now wend there way into a plug for Neil Woodford and "their report" on Britains foremost investor.

This form of article in particular now pops up on most digital look company pages as well which seem a little desperate and scattergun as often interestingly titled end up not reaching any kind of conclusion other than "you know who else likes picking quality shares, Neil Woodford..........."

They have also sought subscriptions to some of their "time sensitive" stock picking services via various experts.

I take most of these with a pinch of salt but can say that, these sales pitches aside, there are some interesting thoughts and reads that trail back to long before Citywire (at least in my experience).
1 user thanked merchant_adventurer for this post.
Pat Stubbs on 05/01/2013(UTC)
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets