Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

RDR rule changes and the effect on existing investments
Dennis .
Posted: 14 December 2012 09:52:58(UTC)

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 32 post(s)
I have a substantial amount of money invested in Hargreaves Lansdown and similar outfits. In a couple of weeks the RDR becomes effective. I would have thought by now that investors would have been told how their accounts will be affected. Has anyone heard anything from any provider about what happens post Jan 1st?
In addition I understand that trail commission will only affect new investments so what happens if I sell a holding and immediately buy it back I wonder?
Roydo
Posted: 14 December 2012 10:23:59(UTC)

Was thanked: 61 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Believe it or not, there is still some confusion with the providers themselves, although some degree of certainly is now in place. I would suggest you ask HL themselves!
K Dean
Posted: 16 December 2012 09:53:38(UTC)

Alliance Trust, who rebate all commission, say that when new share classes become available from providers on a 'clean' basis, ie without a rebate but with a lower annual management charge, they will switch investors' holdings to the new basis provided this can be done on the same or preferential terms. Can't be fairer than that.
Suze Jamieson
Posted: 16 December 2012 11:32:52(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Platforms and pseudo-platforms llike HL don't have to do anything until the FSA puts out it final paper, from which date they'll have another year to get organised, so nothing much will be clarified until at least the end of 2013, of not later.
3 users thanked Suze Jamieson for this post.
Clive B on 16/12/2012(UTC), Guest on 16/12/2012(UTC), Guest on 16/12/2012(UTC)
ex HL Fan
Posted: 17 December 2012 10:30:50(UTC)

Roydo;17184 wrote:
Believe it or not, there is still some confusion with the providers themselves, although some degree of certainly is now in place. I would suggest you ask HL themselves!

Don't be surprise HL have told you very little. For years they ignored ETFs,even decried them, the only reason was that they did not get trailing commissions. My wife and I have transferred ISAs to Cavendish (Fidelity) and Alliance both have been excellent. Be careful with Alliance because if Scotland votes for independence you will certainly have to transfer your ISA back to the remaining UK to avoid the potential hassle I suggest you go with Cavendish Online.
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets