Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

would you recommend a Wealth Manager
David J Robertson
Posted: 04 November 2012 16:18:50(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hello all,

I am looking for a new new wealth manager (£100k) to invest becasuse the firm that has got my money has not has a good record for the past three years, basically the amount invested is approx the same as three ago and I feel the turnover has been poor (well non exsistent) same funds (albeit their own).

Could you recommend a wealt manager with a proven record.

Regards
David
Clive B
Posted: 04 November 2012 16:37:43(UTC)

Was thanked: 102 time(s) in 64 post(s)
No, I've never used one.

One place to start might be the Citywire Wealth Manager awards 2012: http://citywire.co.uk/we...veal-the-winners/a630084
busy bee
Posted: 05 November 2012 18:54:50(UTC)

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 14 post(s)
D-I-Y - very simple

There is so much info out there, obviously starting with City Wire, but also trustnet.com (Investments trusts), Investment Trust magazine etc. My father-in-law started with about £300,000, invested it through a manager (HS) who promptly lost £100,000. He learnt about Investment Trusts and Investing in FTSE and made so much that his widow is living in clover.

Pick good shares and Investment Trusts, diversify, re-invest the dividends, and you can’t go too wrong. Avoid AIM unless you leave yourself a small portion to 'gamble' with.

I also avoid ETF's etc. as I don’t understand them, but.....

Main points - never have all your eggs in one basket and never trust an advisor.

Yes- I've been bitten!
Ian Grumpy
Posted: 06 November 2012 10:29:55(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
With £100k to invest I wouldn't be thinking of moving offshore and even if I was I'm pretty sure that South Africa would not be near the top of my list of countries to invest in or through.

Investment Trusts are as safe as you're likely to get. Temple Bar, City of London, Law Debenture and Bankers have all risen by 10% or more for me in the past 11 months, against FTSE 100 of 5.87%. Personal Assets aim is capital preservation rather than substantial gains (largely invested in gold and cash). None are spectacular but spectacular gains come with higher risk and handing my cash to Mr Van der Pump in Pretoria would be a higher risk than I would be prepared to take.
Artist39
Posted: 11 November 2012 10:40:22(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have a small amount with a wealth manager at St. James Place. This has not broken any records but overall I have gained year on year.
However, I am veering more towards good funds for my money.
I read an interesting comment in Saga Magazine's Merryn Somerset Webb, that suggested the top performing Trusts over the past three years, including MFM Slater Growth (up 120% in 3 years), Lindsell Train UK Equity Fund (up 74%) and Acorn Fund (130%) among others. These are all best performing smaller funds that are boutique funds.
Just keep a constant eye on the fund performance and of course whether the US economy will turn around if Obama can get the House of Representatives to avoid the fiscal cliff.
Amarjit Dohil
Posted: 11 November 2012 11:04:04(UTC)

Hi,

Do it self and start and start by going to this web site:-

http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/master-portfolios

1. 1/3 of capital in a selection
of 1, 2, 3, 5 fixed interest bonds from retail banks.

2. 1/3 of capital select a investment H&L master portfolio.

3. 1/3 of capital select a Income H&L master portfolio.

Yours Faithfully

Amarjit
markws
Posted: 11 November 2012 19:45:39(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So far as I can see from escalator capital"s website they are not authorised by the FSA in the UK. You would therefore have no investor protection. Also you would be taking on an exchange risk. I think that the contact from the South African adviser may well breach UK law. Keep away from this character. Look for a certified financial planner in your area and interview a number of these to find one that you feel that you can work with.
3 users thanked markws for this post.
Clive B on 12/11/2012(UTC), Lawrence Lever on 30/01/2013(UTC), Stephen Garsed on 05/02/2013(UTC)
Dan Jones
Posted: 28 January 2013 22:44:21(UTC)

David J Robertson;16724 wrote:
Hello all,

I am looking for a new new wealth manager (£100k) to invest becasuse the firm that has got my money has not has a good record for the past three years, basically the amount invested is approx the same as three ago and I feel the turnover has been poor (well non exsistent) same funds (albeit their own).

Could you recommend a wealt manager with a proven record.

Regards
David

I feel sorry for you David. Three years wasted and you still have 100k. Well at least money is not lost but wasted time for sure.

Just imagine, in those years you had invested, 100k could have been in 3 years 350k by now. I do know of someone who had made an investment with a fund manager and he had made consistent profit per year. Saw the track record myself.
Recently Redundant and Retired
Posted: 05 February 2013 17:31:53(UTC)

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Anyone with a view on Rosebank Wealth Management for an investor without the time/confidence/knowledge to d.i.y. ?
Clive B
Posted: 05 February 2013 18:18:53(UTC)

Was thanked: 102 time(s) in 64 post(s)
Never heard of them, but not that surprising as I've never used a wealth manager (too poor) !

Could take a look at this list
http://www.icwealthawards.co.uk/
Roydo
Posted: 05 February 2013 20:01:05(UTC)

Was thanked: 61 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Recently Redundant and Retired;17885 wrote:
Anyone with a view on Rosebank Wealth Management for an investor without the time/confidence/knowledge to d.i.y. ?

I am sure they are professional and really nice people, but they are "Partners" of St James Place, so will, in all probability, direct you to SJP own in house funds, and they are not cheap. Like I said, I am sure they will do a professional and compliant job, but just watch the small print, so to speak.
P L
Posted: 05 February 2013 20:42:36(UTC)

Was thanked: 253 time(s) in 113 post(s)
Unless you're so busy making money you haven't got anytime left in a week why on earth would you want to pay someone else to managed it.

If you're unsure of were to start just have a look some of the multi-manager funds or model portfolios. I'd suggest you go buy Tim Hales book - Smarter Investing (~£12) and if having read it you're still convinced you need a Wealth Manager then go and find one.

At a very basic level your key decision areas are

Which Investment type: Funds (OEIC, UT), ITs, ETFs or shares or a mix
What type of Management: Active or Passive or a bit of both
Which regions: UK, US, Asia, Europe, Japan, Emerging general, Emerging specific
What asset classes: Equities, Resources, Property, Bonds&Gilts

Costs: No much of a decision - the lower the better

For information I've been running a rather unscientific test for about a year now. SImply selected a Best Invest asset allocation model (balanced growth) and then selected (Acc) funds from the best buy lists from BestInvest , H-L, CityWire etc etc to make an actively managed portolio of the same nominal value (10K) and asset allocations and then just left them to cook. Also selected an index tracker portfolio using HSBC/fidility & L&G funds as a control. To date the bestinvest selection has performed the best with the index portfolio in 2nd place (-£300 behind). H-L is very sad - with only the IT based portfolio trailing it and that is due to the high upfront costs I included to cover the dealing costs

In essence all the portfolios have basically returned something similar to the FT-All index but with much less volitility - which is ultimately what it's job is ie to give an equity like return whilst minimising the roller coaster ride along the way. Unless you stray significantly from the allocation % for most balanced funds then that's pretty much what everyone will end up with , minus the management costs of course.

david rogers
Posted: 06 February 2013 06:43:29(UTC)

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I strongly suggest you follow the advice of "busy bee' . Appart from anything else with 100 thousand to invest you are not going to get much from a Wealth manager . With a charge of 1% or possibly one and a half you are worth 1000 or 1500 pounds to them , not enough to interest them.Ad to that the fact that if they are at all a responsible organisation they will want to meet you to explore your objectives and will want to charge you for their time. Go it alone in investment trusts using both Citywire and Bestinvest websites.(you have to dig a bit for the Best IT one as they are more interested in funds. Good luck.
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets