Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Iweb Halifax share dealing
Tim D
Posted: 11 June 2018 23:25:27(UTC)

Was thanked: 721 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Skint;63528 wrote:
I would agree that things appear to have more problems nowadays. Maybe because things are more complicated or maybe they are just rushed out, not sure.

Complexity has certainly increased (whether the increased complexity brings benefits compensating for the inevitable additional accompanying problems is another question). My favourite story illustrating the changing nature of SW development is an interview where an MIT computer science professor was asked why MIT - somewhat controversially - had changed the language used in their introductory programming course from Scheme (a lean-and-mean LISP dialect) to bloated Python:

Quote:
Costanza asked Sussman why MIT had switched away from Scheme for their introductory programming course, 6.001. This was a gem. He said that the reason that happened was because engineering in 1980 was not what it was in the mid-90s or in 2000. In 1980, good programmers spent a lot of time thinking, and then produced spare code that they thought should work. Code ran close to the metal, even Scheme — it was understandable all the way down. Like a resistor, where you could read the bands and know the power rating and the tolerance and the resistance and V=IR and that’s all there was to know. 6.001 had been conceived to teach engineers how to take small parts that they understood entirely and use simple techniques to compose them into larger things that do what you want.

But programming now isn’t so much like that, said Sussman. Nowadays you muck around with incomprehensible or nonexistent man pages for software you don’t know who wrote. You have to do basic science on your libraries to see how they work, trying out different inputs and seeing how the code reacts. This is a fundamentally different job, and it needed a different course.

Unfortunately increased complexity is rarely recognized as a problem which cannot be solved by... adding more complexity!
Martin F
Posted: 12 June 2018 10:45:47(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
[]Update
I have had a long conversation with IWeb. They have been inundated with complaints since the change over.They know there has been migration chaos and that there are many complaints that are unresolved and cannot proffer when the problems that have arisen will be rectified.

Update
The summary/News/Fundamentals/Director deals/Technical analysis/Pricing Data/Dividend line does not appear on all shares so intermittent and not consistent.
If it is there and you click on News then it often comes up 'No News' when in fact there is important news. eg. on MXF no news of the cut in dividend or purchases of £63.8m of 12 new principal health care centres.
On Aberdeen Standard Logistics no news of €33m purchase of Frankfurt ex US airbase.
RMMC no news of CEO removal from position.
BBGI no news when there was a significant holding threshold announced.
There is still no detail of the price movements, volume and price detail crucial to online trading.

They have not made any effort to rectify the problems and continue to misinform and misrepresent omitting crucial information.
Director to write to is Jeff Sayers
IWeb Sharedealing, Lovell Park Road, Leeds, LS1 1NS

The MD Manuel Pardavilla Gonzalves does not answer registered letters and refers them to Customer Care who take no action unless prodded multiple times and then only to be able to send you a letter that the dispute is resolved when of course it is not..

They do not admit culpability particularly in that they should have road tested the migration to destruction before implementing it.which adds insult to injury and increases risk.There are also concerns re security which need to be addressed.They seem oblivious as to how customers have been effected.

I urge you to write to Jeff Sayers
Are there any other problems that you have come across to add to the above?
bouleversee
Posted: 12 June 2018 11:26:16(UTC)

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Tim D -

The person I spoke to also said they were aware of deficiencies and was quite apologetic; he even agreed that it should have been properly tested before inflicting it on us. It is an absolute disgrace and I agree we must write to Sayers. The chap I spoke to told me to write to Customer Care which as you say is a waste of time.

I gather they are not planning to alter one's portfolio page(s) which is disappointing in that it ought to show the s.p. movement on the day so one didn't need to keep flicking between research and holding, which takes forever if you have a large number and they keep logging you out as you go back and forth. Seems to me that an awful lot of problems in this country are down to incompetent IT people and the fact that those in ultimate charge don't understand it all, any more than I do.
1 user thanked bouleversee for this post.
dlp6666 on 22/06/2018(UTC)
Tim D
Posted: 12 June 2018 13:20:26(UTC)

Was thanked: 721 time(s) in 322 post(s)
bouleversee;63745 wrote:
The person I spoke to also said they were aware of deficiencies and was quite apologetic; he even agreed that it should have been properly tested before inflicting it on us.

Oh dear. Unfortunately besides ever increasing complexity, there seem to be other forces at work: SW development of all kinds seems to be increasingly infected with attitudes which might be fine for a tiny Silicon Valley startup trying to make a mark before their cash runs out, but which anyone with any sense ought to realize are completely inappropriate for what should be nice stable financial institutions... I'm talking about ideas like "move fast and break things", "release early and release often" and "if you aren't embarrassed by v1.0 you didn't release it early enough". Basically what it all boils down to is that these days the poor long-suffering users *are* the testers.
bouleversee
Posted: 12 June 2018 14:00:20(UTC)

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 5 post(s)
At least they should have given us the option to continue to use the old site (as did Interactive Investor) till the problems with the new one were sorted out. I really liked IWeb's old research pages which contained lots of info.
huudi
Posted: 18 June 2018 07:51:24(UTC)

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Jeff Liddiard;63403 wrote:
I just use the site to buy and sell. Very good value. I do my research elsewhere.

Any suggestions for research sites, dummy portfolios etc? , the useful shareprice site vanished overnight when ii went the same way as Barc, iweb, Selftrade, Charles Stanley etc. It seems to be a conspiracy, (prices up, service down), if so its lack of competition and perhaps should be referred to the FSA.
It occurred to me (it should have been obvious) that the research info and systems removed (by what can only be called a cartel), will after 'x' number of complaints become available, at a price!
andy mac
Posted: 18 June 2018 09:47:44(UTC)

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 103 post(s)
I certainly have virtual portfolios on the HL site

I update all my passwords etc for my own and linked accounts fairly painlessly so I will wait and see what the upgrade next
Jeff Liddiard
Posted: 18 June 2018 10:45:35(UTC)

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 173 post(s)
huudi;63991 wrote:
Jeff Liddiard;63403 wrote:
I just use the site to buy and sell. Very good value. I do my research elsewhere.

Any suggestions for research sites, dummy portfolios etc? , the useful shareprice site vanished overnight when ii went the same way as Barc, iweb, Selftrade, Charles Stanley etc. It seems to be a conspiracy, (prices up, service down), if so its lack of competition and perhaps should be referred to the FSA.
It occurred to me (it should have been obvious) that the research info and systems removed (by what can only be called a cartel), will after 'x' number of complaints become available, at a price!

Research and dummy portfolios via HL, Trusnet, Morningstar, London Stock Exchange.
2 PagesPrevious page12
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets