Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Tax on Dividends (& interest) pre 2016
AnthonyL
Posted: 05 June 2018 09:50:38(UTC)

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I retired from running my own business in 2012 and after discussion with HMRC they agreed that as I was only taking State Pension and one SIPP in Drawdown it would save a lot of effort to just put me on PAYE rather than having to do self-assessment annually.

I've now just realised that somehow they are continuing to include a dividend and savings interest amount totalling £512 in their calculations, quite why I don't know. I suspect a carry over from my self-assessment which was carried out by my accountant. I've ascertained this is made up of £200 dividends and £312 in interest.

Tax on dividends always confused me and still does now I'm out of the regular need to be invovled. I hold about £10,000 worth of shares, 80% being Standard Life, and the shares (annoyingly) include about £500 of Santander.

I just use my tax free amount, in other words I'm well within being a basic tax payer. Apart from Santander who keep changing the way they pay (one year it's dividend and another it is extra shares) all the shareholding have tax credits.

I can categorically tell HMRC I don't have any untaxed interest so that should be a few years of £312@20% refund due.

Can someone throw some light on what, if any tax, I should pay on the notional £200 dividend for those years? I've not got a ready summary of actual dividend but on £10k it's not going to be massive.

And before anyone brings it up, yes I know the rules have since changed and simplified matters,but I've still got four tax years ending 2013 through to 2016 to be dealt with.

+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets