Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Any body like foreign markets
Dian
Posted: 16 June 2018 03:39:13(UTC)

Was thanked: 135 time(s) in 94 post(s)
It seems emerging and frontier market sell-off has over done.

Finally, I could see strength in food related stocks like Conagra Brands,(CAG), Kellogg Company (K), Flowers Foods(FLO), General mills (GIS) and Tyson foods(TSN).
Ermintrade
Posted: 16 June 2018 12:07:42(UTC)

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Dian
I agree with you that emerging markets have now overshot downwards and are in bargain territory. I am particularly interested in Vietnam. Some experts think that Vietnam will be little affected by a modest US/China trade war. It is even possible that Vietnamese exports could benefit by not being affected by tariffs. I have an investment in Vietnam Enterprise Investments (VEIL) which is currently at a 20% discount to NAV ( 12 month average 13%). So I will likely be topping up in the near future. Of course a major trade war would adversely affect all markets.
Regards
ermintrade
3 users thanked Ermintrade for this post.
Jeff Liddiard on 16/06/2018(UTC), Dian on 17/06/2018(UTC), Mike L on 18/06/2018(UTC)
Jeff Liddiard
Posted: 16 June 2018 16:59:04(UTC)

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 173 post(s)
I have VEIL too and they've just started a share buy-back programme which should do wonders for the discount.
1 user thanked Jeff Liddiard for this post.
Dian on 17/06/2018(UTC)
Dian
Posted: 17 June 2018 06:35:02(UTC)

Ermintrade;63941 wrote:
Dian
I agree with you that emerging markets have now overshot downwards and are in bargain territory. I am particularly interested in Vietnam. Some experts think that Vietnam will be little affected by a modest US/China trade war. It is even possible that Vietnamese exports could benefit by not being affected by tariffs. I have an investment in Vietnam Enterprise Investments (VEIL) which is currently at a 20% discount to NAV ( 12 month average 13%). So I will likely be topping up in the near future. Of course a major trade war would adversely affect all markets.
Regards
ermintrade

Emintrade

After the strong performance for Vietnam equities over the past two years, there has been correction since the March 2018. It has helped to moderate valuations. I found their top 10 holding incudes sectors like food and beverages, and banking. They have invested in growing sectors in frontier markets. Rising middle-class population should support multi-year secular growth for domestic consumption in frontier markets.

Thanks and regards
Dian
Ermintrade
Posted: 17 June 2018 09:38:47(UTC)

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Apart from trade war concerns, other US policy decisions may affect EMs. In particular, rising US interest rates and a stronger dollar may put pressure on some EMs whose debts and oil purchases are mainly in US dollars. So some caution is needed. Nevertheless, the ongoing large increase in a wealthier middle class in China and other Asian countries means that, in my view, the long term investment case is intact.
Regards
ermintrade
Dian
Posted: 18 June 2018 08:39:29(UTC)

Investors made profits from over extended markets like India, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, South Korea and Taiwan. If we analyze those markets, there have been sell off, correction and volatility over the last three to five years in their long bull market. Those assets which went up rapidly are having some kind of correction. Even commodities are having sell-off. In fact this scenario could benefit some industries. There could be some sell-off’s opportunities this time too. For every rout, there’s a buyer. After tech, which sectors will get limelight next? Thanks.
3 PagesPrevious page123
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets