Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Transactions
Chris Ould
Posted: 25 May 2018 13:39:13(UTC)

Joined: 13/01/2014(UTC)
Posts: 82

Thanks: 41 times
Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Guys,

Not sure my contribution will quell the unrest that's clearly built-up over time...but let me try anyway!

I began to put money into funds following the 2008 crash, initially via Jupiter Merlin Growth, then into individual trusts guided by John Baron's portfolio updates.

In 2014, i started to read the forum comments on Citywire and would say that the portfolio i know possess (which is probably significantly smaller than several posters on this thread) is a combination of the trading strategies, thematic ideas, and portfolio weightings of Micawber, Tony Paterson, and King Lodos...with a sprinkling of Mr Helpful, Cueball and several other notable contributors.

In short, i've learnt a lot and and feel very grateful...so please, let's not descend into a name calling, back biting rabble...why not just list your trades, avoid the urge to snipe / gloat, but keep up the valuable insights because that's what really makes a difference!
22 users thanked Chris Ould for this post.
Margaret D on 25/05/2018(UTC), chubby bunny on 25/05/2018(UTC), john brace on 25/05/2018(UTC), Lemanie on 25/05/2018(UTC), Keith Hilton on 25/05/2018(UTC), Danny Burns on 25/05/2018(UTC), andy mac on 25/05/2018(UTC), Aminatidi on 25/05/2018(UTC), Luca Brasi on 25/05/2018(UTC), t s on 25/05/2018(UTC), Guest on 25/05/2018(UTC), Freddy4Skin on 25/05/2018(UTC), Harry Trout on 25/05/2018(UTC), Alan Selwood on 25/05/2018(UTC), Gill on 26/05/2018(UTC), Mr Helpful on 26/05/2018(UTC), Jim S on 26/05/2018(UTC), martin turner on 26/05/2018(UTC), J Thomas on 26/05/2018(UTC), Henry Barlow on 26/05/2018(UTC), Andrew Smith 259 on 26/05/2018(UTC), CUEBALL on 27/05/2018(UTC)
chubby bunny
Posted: 25 May 2018 14:08:17(UTC)

Joined: 31/10/2016(UTC)
Posts: 236

Thanks: 79 times
Was thanked: 311 time(s) in 154 post(s)
Chris Ould;62913 wrote:
In short, i've learnt a lot and and feel very grateful...so please, let's not descend into a name calling, back biting rabble...why not just list your trades, avoid the urge to snipe / gloat, but keep up the valuable insights because that's what really makes a difference!


They'll be back at it again within a week. I've got them all on my ignore list but still see the tiresome drivel when it's quoted by others. Time to join Mickey, Micawber, srg751 et al. and just not bother visiting the forum at all.
1 user thanked chubby bunny for this post.
Aminatidi on 25/05/2018(UTC)
Tyrion Lannister
Posted: 25 May 2018 16:51:12(UTC)

Joined: 03/03/2017(UTC)
Posts: 358

Thanks: 222 times
Was thanked: 274 time(s) in 160 post(s)
CUEBALL;62907 wrote:
Tyrion Lannister;62844 wrote:
CUEBALL;62798 wrote:
CUEBALL;62778 wrote:
Tyrion Lannister;62719 wrote:
Rishan;62705 wrote:
Tyrion Lannister;62704 wrote:
CUEBALL;62698 wrote:
And what qualifies you to make such a claim..?


Are you replying to my post above?

If so, like most people on this forum, nothing qualifies me to make any claims regarding investments, it’s just personal opinion.


He is an arrogant troll who only sneers at other posters and writes in riddles. I would ignore him and hope he goes away.

On topic, I bought Seeing Machines at 6.99 earlier today. It makes technology for driver/machine operator monitoring. Good news last week made the share price rocket, but it has fallen back this week after a change to revenue guidance.


In that case, maybe he should be called screwball! :)



mmm...interesting..do me a favour tyrer's (assuming you have a calculator) ..just divide 1.2 billion by 280 ...remembering of course that a billion is 1000 million.



My original five figure investment has just this week become six.I was originally attracted to Giles Hargreaves and Marlborough following the great crash of 1987 in which smaller companies got hammered.What appealed most was the ethos of holding large numbers of companies to spread risk.You will soon understand better..perhaps sooner than you think

You made a rather silly (inexperienced) comment ,you will learn.Arrogant ? you bet ..I've earned the right sunshine....Troll.? you once called me that before Rishan ...having a hard time of it ..still? ...Invest your money before it's too late son.

To difficult to understand ..?





Like a tracker you mean?


Thats an even more silly comment, clearly you are very naive ...do you have any idea of his record? ..of course you have, it was discussed at length on here just last week following an article in the Times? silly really wasn't it?

My grandchildren behave better than some on here.




Resorting to personal insults when you're losing an argument is a sign of low intelligence. It also suggests that you are a thoroughly unpleasant person.

Based on that, this is the last time I'll ever reply to any of your posts.

Byeee!
2 users thanked Tyrion Lannister for this post.
King Lodos on 25/05/2018(UTC), CUEBALL on 27/05/2018(UTC)
Trudy Scrumptious
Posted: 25 May 2018 17:37:59(UTC)

Joined: 10/01/2008(UTC)
Posts: 7

Thanks: 17 times
Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Keith Hilton;62909 wrote:
Back on track again (I hope!), top-sliced BLT when stop loss triggered @ £17.

Top-slicing BLT would surely just leave you with bread and mayonnaise....A poor attempt to lighten the mood, but as someone who has followed the forums for a year or so, I do appreciate KL's contribution and worry those who constantly snipe at him will drive him away.
5 users thanked Trudy Scrumptious for this post.
Tyrion Lannister on 25/05/2018(UTC), King Lodos on 25/05/2018(UTC), Keith Hilton on 25/05/2018(UTC), john_r on 25/05/2018(UTC), Andrew Smith 259 on 26/05/2018(UTC)
dyfed
Posted: 25 May 2018 17:55:53(UTC)

Joined: 01/09/2016(UTC)
Posts: 394

Thanks: 582 times
Was thanked: 577 time(s) in 238 post(s)
Topped up JEMI which is trading near 12 month low, discount has widened to near 7%, pays 4%
Looking at HEFT: noticed this because of it's holding in Nordea Bank, which has been on my watch list for a while. Discount has widened and price dropped given worries about Europe, but we've been there before...
3 users thanked dyfed for this post.
john_r on 25/05/2018(UTC), Mr Helpful on 26/05/2018(UTC), Andrew Smith 259 on 26/05/2018(UTC)
Mr Helpful
Posted: 26 May 2018 10:58:40(UTC)

Joined: 04/11/2016(UTC)
Posts: 643

Thanks: 721 times
Was thanked: 852 time(s) in 402 post(s)
chubby bunny;62915 wrote:

They'll be back at it again within a week. I've got them all on my ignore list but still see the tiresome drivel when it's quoted by others. Time to join Mickey, Micawber, srg751 et al. and just not bother visiting the forum at all.

Stick with it CB.
Hopefully Ignore List will shorten one day?
And common courtesy prevail?
There is a wider group out here.
2 users thanked Mr Helpful for this post.
Lemanie on 26/05/2018(UTC), Andrew Smith 259 on 26/05/2018(UTC)
Margaret D
Posted: 26 May 2018 13:56:11(UTC)

Joined: 05/01/2016(UTC)
Posts: 3

Thanks: 46 times
I see on HL that Mercantile IT's share price has dropped by89.9%
Does anyone know what this is about?
k mc d
Posted: 26 May 2018 14:25:47(UTC)

Joined: 18/12/2014(UTC)
Posts: 29

Thanks: 30 times
Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Margaret D;62951 wrote:
I see on HL that Mercantile IT's share price has dropped by89.9%
Does anyone know what this is about?

https://www.thearmchairt...-investment-trust-shares
1 user thanked k mc d for this post.
Margaret D on 26/05/2018(UTC)
Mr Helpful
Posted: 26 May 2018 14:28:31(UTC)

Joined: 04/11/2016(UTC)
Posts: 643

Thanks: 721 times
Was thanked: 852 time(s) in 402 post(s)
Margaret D;62951 wrote:
I see on HL that Mercantile IT's share price has dropped by89.9%
Does anyone know what this is about?

From the Annual Report :-

Share Split
As a consequence of the Company’s strong performance, the share price has risen sharply in recent years. Indeed, over the last ten years, it has more than doubled. Whilst this is excellent for our existing shareholders, the Board believes that the high share price may be unhelpful for those investing smaller amounts, monthly savers and dividend re-investment programmes and therefore it is proposing to sub-divide the shares on a 10 for 1 basis. This is known as a ‘share split’. Following the share split each shareholder will hold ten new ordinary shares for each share held immediately prior to the share split. We hope that sub-dividing the Company’s ordinary shares will make buying the shares more attractive to new investors and increase market liquidity. I would like to reassure existing shareholders that the splitting of the shares will not affect the overall value of their holdings in the Company as the reduction in the price per share will be offset by a commensurate increase in the number of shares they hold.
1 user thanked Mr Helpful for this post.
Margaret D on 26/05/2018(UTC)
k mc d
Posted: 26 May 2018 14:36:39(UTC)

Joined: 18/12/2014(UTC)
Posts: 29

Thanks: 30 times
Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Bargain then?
Andrew Smith 259
Posted: 26 May 2018 17:42:12(UTC)

Joined: 14/01/2016(UTC)
Posts: 116

Thanks: 373 times
Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 46 post(s)
CUEBALL;62824 wrote:
CUEBALL;32127 wrote:
Wolseley do da Wolseley ey... my oh my what a ....

Should form part of any well structured .....

"Cueball this toylit's jammed again"

Toilet dear......

"I don't care how you spellit ....and its about time we re-vamped I 'mean' outside in the middle of the bloody night in this day and age!! "

....you see where would we be without the WOS?

Quality do da quality eh?

Love you all x


Posted two years ago during the sell off...my lighthearted way of sharing my knowledge..I'll explain ....The shares were 33 quid and a very obvious bargain ..we will always need plumbing and there will always be demand ..as i said Wolseley (ferg) are a great company and should be on every serious investors buy list.

Think about India where a large percentage of people still defecate outside...now have i spellled that correctly?...




Ferguson plc (FERG) has some impressive dividend growth going back over the past 5 years. According to HL dividend growth has averaged 10% each year except 2014 when dividend growth was 25%. Also dividend cover was averaging between 2.3 and 2.6 approx. Shares are currently a bit off the year high of 5892p at 5820p.
Not surprisingly the dividend yield is only 1.89%.

Certainly an interesting possibility. Thanks for mentioning it Cueball.
1 user thanked Andrew Smith 259 for this post.
CUEBALL on 27/05/2018(UTC)
CUEBALL
Posted: 27 May 2018 12:46:16(UTC)

Joined: 06/04/2014(UTC)
Posts: 977

Thanks: 213 times
Was thanked: 403 time(s) in 259 post(s)
Hi Andrew

Wolseley were ..I'm going back a LOT! of years ..were simillar to ICI ...known as a "market bellweather"..a brilliantly managed company.The current share price is indeed a little toppy bouyed by the massive share buyback programme.There may be better entry points ahead...who knows?..a brilliantly managed company which as aforesaid should be on everyones buy list.

Thank you for your civilised kind words ...good fortune.
1 user thanked CUEBALL for this post.
Andrew Smith 259 on 27/05/2018(UTC)
Andrew Smith 259
Posted: 27 May 2018 13:02:44(UTC)

Joined: 14/01/2016(UTC)
Posts: 116

Thanks: 373 times
Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 46 post(s)
CUEBALL;62999 wrote:
Hi Andrew

Wolseley were ..I'm going back a LOT! of years ..were simillar to ICI ...known as a "market bellweather"..a brilliantly managed company.The current share price is indeed a little toppy bouyed by the massive share buyback programme.There may be better entry points ahead...who knows?..a brilliantly managed company which as aforesaid should be on everyones buy list.

Thank you for your civilised kind words ...good fortune.


Have you any thoughts on the price for a good entry point.

I tend to be more of a buy and hold investor. My market timing is not good. But I tend to use market corrections as an opportunity to top up favoured holdings or initiate new holdings.
CUEBALL
Posted: 27 May 2018 13:12:52(UTC)

Joined: 06/04/2014(UTC)
Posts: 977

Thanks: 213 times
Was thanked: 403 time(s) in 259 post(s)
Chris Ould;62913 wrote:
Guys,

Not sure my contribution will quell the unrest that's clearly built-up over time...but let me try anyway!

I began to put money into funds following the 2008 crash, initially via Jupiter Merlin Growth, then into individual trusts guided by John Baron's portfolio updates.

In 2014, i started to read the forum comments on Citywire and would say that the portfolio i know possess (which is probably significantly smaller than several posters on this thread) is a combination of the trading strategies, thematic ideas, and portfolio weightings of Micawber, Tony Paterson, and King Lodos...with a sprinkling of Mr Helpful, Cueball and several other notable contributors.

In short, i've learnt a lot and and feel very grateful...so please, let's not descend into a name calling, back biting rabble...why not just list your trades, avoid the urge to snipe / gloat, but keep up the valuable insights because that's what really makes a difference!


Hi Chris

I too sort of stumbled across this site around the same time following my brief spell on the LSE site (oh dear). There's me very genuinely warning people not to buy Quindell shares only to be subjected to similar abuse as above !!

It was the first and only other such site that i've been involved in being a bit of a dinosaur..
I try not to ramp shares for obvious reasons ...merely subtle hints about what i see as bargains as you are well aware.

Apologies to anyone i might've offended, it certainly was not my intention.

Tip?...Never hold a grudge.All the best to everyone, after all,the more we share the wealth around ...the better the world we live in.

I
1 user thanked CUEBALL for this post.
Lemanie on 27/05/2018(UTC)
CUEBALL
Posted: 27 May 2018 13:26:04(UTC)

Joined: 06/04/2014(UTC)
Posts: 977

Thanks: 213 times
Was thanked: 403 time(s) in 259 post(s)
Andrew Smith 259;63000 wrote:
CUEBALL;62999 wrote:
Hi Andrew

Wolseley were ..I'm going back a LOT! of years ..were simillar to ICI ...known as a "market bellweather"..a brilliantly managed company.The current share price is indeed a little toppy bouyed by the massive share buyback programme.There may be better entry points ahead...who knows?..a brilliantly managed company which as aforesaid should be on everyones buy list.

Thank you for your civilised kind words ...good fortune.


Have you any thoughts on the price for a good entry point.

I tend to be more of a buy and hold investor. My market timing is not good. But I tend to use market corrections as an opportunity to top up favoured holdings or initiate new holdings.


This is how I look at it ..there are many great companies, and therefore opportunities.Just like the advice i gave to my daughter about boys ..don't chase them they will always come to you.The most recent?...Babcock
183 Pages«Previous page181182183
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets