Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Asia Pacific
King Lodos
Posted: 19 May 2018 18:57:09(UTC)
#27

Joined: 05/01/2016(UTC)
Posts: 2,967

Thanks: 686 times
Was thanked: 4578 time(s) in 1773 post(s)
BG Global Discovery is the most expensive I've found on Morningstar.

I think when you look at the typical BG portfolio, it feels good .. It's all the stocks you want to be in, and wish you'd bought 7 years ago .. They're revolutionary businesses, with AI, drones, self-driving, cashless pay, and everything that should define the world we're moving into.

But at the same time, the lesson of history has always been that you're better off investing in cheap, boring things that everyone overlooks .. Small-Cap Value has been the most successful 'factor' over the past century (often being bear-market-proof), and that's full of companies that make things like rubber bushes for dishwashers .. If history repeats, BG would be exactly the companies you want to avoid .. The traditional reversal would be where index funds all catch up .. (this kind of thing is why I use sector/strategy momentum, rather than stock-level momentum)

https://static.seekingalpha.com/uploads/2016/2/7/saupload_6a00d83451ddb269e201b7c8123b0b970b-pi.png

4 users thanked King Lodos for this post.
Abstract Artist on 19/05/2018(UTC), North Star on 20/05/2018(UTC), Mike L on 20/05/2018(UTC), Tim D on 20/05/2018(UTC)
Dian
Posted: 19 May 2018 23:25:43(UTC)
#28

Joined: 09/10/2016(UTC)
Posts: 284

Thanks: 263 times
Was thanked: 120 time(s) in 85 post(s)
I found two more funds exposure to Asia.

Tundra Sustainable Frontier Fund

There is a fund called the Tundra Sustainable Frontier Fund, and will invest in countries including Vietnam, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nigeria and Kenya. The fund will have an environmental, social, and governance focus and will not invest in weapons, alcohol, tobacco, pornography and commercial gambling, or in companies that violate the UN conventions. It has a sustainable profile and incorporated in Sweden.

Coeli SICAV I - Frontier Markets Fund

They have invested in countries like Jordan, Argentina, Romania, Nigeria, Kuwait Kenya, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Georgia and Vietnam. Their top allocations sector wise are Financials and consumer staples followed by consumer Discretionary.
2 users thanked Dian for this post.
dyfed on 20/05/2018(UTC), c brown on 23/05/2018(UTC)
Bob Foster
Posted: 20 May 2018 17:54:24(UTC)
#31

Joined: 02/03/2013(UTC)
Posts: 3

Hi MCMINVEST.
I currently hold both Invesco Perpetual Asia and Invesco Perpetual Pacific, both currently have reasonably good performance.
Captain Slugwash
Posted: 20 May 2018 19:58:09(UTC)
#29

Joined: 19/07/2017(UTC)
Posts: 88

Thanks: 214 times
Was thanked: 129 time(s) in 61 post(s)
Dian;62542 wrote:
Tundra Sustainable Frontier Fund

There is a fund called the Tundra Sustainable Frontier Fund, and will invest in countries including Vietnam, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nigeria and Kenya. The fund will have an environmental, social, and governance focus and will not invest in weapons, alcohol, tobacco, pornography and commercial gambling, or in companies that violate the UN conventions. It has a sustainable profile and incorporated in Sweden.


That tickled me somewhat. Investing in Nigeria is one huge gamble, ethical company or not.

Staples such as ULVR, DGE, or Coca Cola etc etc give me all the exposure to West Africa I could possibly want.
Dian
Posted: 21 May 2018 09:21:55(UTC)
#30

Joined: 09/10/2016(UTC)
Posts: 284

Thanks: 263 times
Was thanked: 120 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Captain Slugwash;62553 wrote:
Dian;62542 wrote:
Tundra Sustainable Frontier Fund

There is a fund called the Tundra Sustainable Frontier Fund, and will invest in countries including Vietnam, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nigeria and Kenya. The fund will have an environmental, social, and governance focus and will not invest in weapons, alcohol, tobacco, pornography and commercial gambling, or in companies that violate the UN conventions. It has a sustainable profile and incorporated in Sweden.


That tickled me somewhat. Investing in Nigeria is one huge gamble, ethical company or not.

Staples such as ULVR, DGE, or Coca Cola etc etc give me all the exposure to West Africa I could possibly want.

Some funds and investors will invest when there are political or economic problems to take advantage of very low asset prices. For example, they parked money in countries like India, Pakistan, Philippines and Nigeria before others and gained lot when they had roaring bull markets.

Nigeria had foreign exchange crisis as well but it was the 3rd best performing exchange in the world and It had a 42% gain in 2017. Gambling worked well for some. We find products of ULVR and Coco cola throughout the world.

https://realmoney.thestr...nues-repeat-and-surprise
mcminvest
Posted: 21 May 2018 19:13:01(UTC)
#10

Joined: 22/02/2018(UTC)
Posts: 76

Thanks: 180 times
Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Dan L;62363 wrote:
I assume you want ex Japan. My wife has Veritas Asian in her pension. Giant and large cap, mix of emerging and developed (China, India, South Korea, Australia), 44 holdings.


Hi Dan, whIch one, A, B, C or D?
mcminvest
Posted: 21 May 2018 20:04:34(UTC)
#3

Joined: 22/02/2018(UTC)
Posts: 76

Thanks: 180 times
Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 23 post(s)
King Lodos;62360 wrote:
The only one I'd be happy to stick with would be Vanguard Emerging Markets Index .. Which is mostly Asia.

I'd say anything else would be likely to come in and out of favour a bit – and maybe sometimes a lot .. which creates problems, because rotating or trading Asia/EM is haphazard at best.

Having said that, Baillie Gifford Pacific has been a good holding for me for a while .. I used to be a huge fan of First State (now Stewart) Asia Pacific Leaders – but re: going out of favour, it seems that approach has had a few down years now .. I worry Baillie Gifford may suffer the same fate, as there's a lot of momentum in their portfolios (which can reverse eventually).


Hi King, found a few/couple of Vanguard Emerging Markets, what's the ISIN of the one you mention, just so i'm sure I have the right one?
chubby bunny
Posted: 21 May 2018 21:26:07(UTC)
#4

Joined: 31/10/2016(UTC)
Posts: 236

Thanks: 79 times
Was thanked: 311 time(s) in 154 post(s)
mcminvest;62620 wrote:
Hi King, found a few/couple of Vanguard Emerging Markets, what's the ISIN of the one you mention, just so i'm sure I have the right one?


Vanguard have a passive EM index fund and an actively managed EM fund:

Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock Index - IE00B50MZ724 (Acc) or IE00B51KVT96 (Inc)

Vanguard Global Emerging Markets - GB00BZ82ZY13 (Acc) or GB00BZ82ZX06 (Inc)
1 user thanked chubby bunny for this post.
mcminvest on 21/05/2018(UTC)
mcminvest
Posted: 21 May 2018 21:42:00(UTC)
#5

Joined: 22/02/2018(UTC)
Posts: 76

Thanks: 180 times
Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 23 post(s)
chubby bunny;62630 wrote:
mcminvest;62620 wrote:
Hi King, found a few/couple of Vanguard Emerging Markets, what's the ISIN of the one you mention, just so i'm sure I have the right one?


Vanguard have a passive EM index fund and an actively managed EM fund:

Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock Index - IE00B50MZ724 (Acc) or IE00B51KVT96 (Inc)

Vanguard Global Emerging Markets - GB00BZ82ZY13 (Acc) or GB00BZ82ZX06 (Inc)



Thanks Chubby, seems I'm better off with the index due to lower ocf for more or less same performance.
Tom Bards
Posted: 21 May 2018 22:00:52(UTC)
#6

Joined: 28/06/2017(UTC)
Posts: 108

Was thanked: 117 time(s) in 67 post(s)
mcminvest;62633 wrote:
chubby bunny;62630 wrote:
mcminvest;62620 wrote:
Hi King, found a few/couple of Vanguard Emerging Markets, what's the ISIN of the one you mention, just so i'm sure I have the right one?


Vanguard have a passive EM index fund and an actively managed EM fund:

Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock Index - IE00B50MZ724 (Acc) or IE00B51KVT96 (Inc)

Vanguard Global Emerging Markets - GB00BZ82ZY13 (Acc) or GB00BZ82ZX06 (Inc)



Thanks Chubby, seems I'm better off with the index due to lower ocf for more or less same performance.


Well, that's not quite true. Baillie Gifford Pacific has returned more than double that of Vanguard's Emerging Markets Stock Index fund in the last 5 years. I believe Vanguards Active Emerging Fund hasn't really been around long enough to find out how well it has done against the index yet.
mcminvest
Posted: 21 May 2018 22:12:03(UTC)
#7

Joined: 22/02/2018(UTC)
Posts: 76

Thanks: 180 times
Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Tom Bards;62635 wrote:
mcminvest;62633 wrote:
chubby bunny;62630 wrote:
mcminvest;62620 wrote:
Hi King, found a few/couple of Vanguard Emerging Markets, what's the ISIN of the one you mention, just so i'm sure I have the right one?


Vanguard have a passive EM index fund and an actively managed EM fund:

Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock Index - IE00B50MZ724 (Acc) or IE00B51KVT96 (Inc)

Vanguard Global Emerging Markets - GB00BZ82ZY13 (Acc) or GB00BZ82ZX06 (Inc)



Thanks Chubby, seems I'm better off with the index due to lower ocf for more or less same performance.


Well, that's not quite true. Baillie Gifford Pacific has returned more than double that of Vanguard's Emerging Markets Stock Index fund in the last 5 years. I believe Vanguards Active Emerging Fund hasn't really been around long enough to find out how well it has done against the index yet.


Tom, thanks, but I was comparing the two Vanguard funds above not them against BG Pacific. However, you are correct and agree wholeheartedly with you!
John Grant
Posted: 22 May 2018 19:45:15(UTC)
#32

Joined: 02/12/2012(UTC)
Posts: 2

Thanks: 48 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Interesting mix of funds and IT's mentioned for the Pacific region.

UT...B/G Pacific 3m..0.4% 6m..-2.4 % 12 m..24.2%

IT...Pacific Horizon 3m..11.2% 6m...10.7% 12m....47.2%


No contest...
Apostate
Posted: 22 May 2018 20:00:21(UTC)
#33

Joined: 02/04/2018(UTC)
Posts: 57

Thanks: 10 times
Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 27 post(s)
John Grant;62700 wrote:
Interesting mix of funds and IT's mentioned for the Pacific region.

UT...B/G Pacific 3m..0.4% 6m..-2.4 % 12 m..24.2%

IT...Pacific Horizon 3m..11.2% 6m...10.7% 12m....47.2%


No contest...


12 months doesn't tell us much. Go back 10 years and the BG fund has well beaten that IT.
2 PagesPrevious page12
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets