Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Stamp Duty
Mitch Evans
Posted: 19 January 2018 14:50:30(UTC)

Hi Guys,

I am scratching my head on whether I am liable to pay the extra 3% SDLT for additional property. My current home shall become a BTL and a new purchase shall replace this and become my residential home.

My initial thoughts were I will have 2 properties so yes I shall be liable for the extra SDLT on additional properties. However looking at this news article today it's suggesting if you or your wife has a BTL and your purchase is for a home to live in and shall be your main residence you're exempt.

Please see article here: http://www.propertyindus...nt-14000/#comment-68007

If the wife had 2 BTL then surely when purchasing a new main residence they would have 3 properties? However they are exempt.

If someone can shed some light here that would be great, it's a very grey area.

Thanks for reading.

Mitch.
DanBRK
Posted: 04 May 2018 03:42:46(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Mitch,

That's an interesting article. I don't have the answer but I would like to join the conversation as the article and comments lead me to believe my sister may have been incorrectly charged the extra 3% stamp duty.

In August 2017 she bought a place with her partner to be their main residence. She already owned a buy to let (which she had never lived in) so they were told they had to pay the additional 3% stamp duty. They were renting before they bought the place so did not previously own a "main residence".

Can anyone tell me if it was correct that they were charged the additional 3% stamp duty?

Thanks,

Dan
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets