Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

TSB computer system transfer
Mr Helpful
Posted: 24 April 2018 17:52:50(UTC)

Was thanked: 899 time(s) in 423 post(s)
First it was Barclays Stockbrokers; now it is TSB Banking.
Why are such large step changes made?
Presumably migrating customers a few at a time is too complex system-wise?
Hoping payment cards will work; some reported problems, with people running out of food as a result.
Tim D
Posted: 24 April 2018 20:00:03(UTC)

Was thanked: 699 time(s) in 312 post(s)
This probably has a lot to do with it:

Quote:
Under the terms of its separation from Lloyds Banking Group in 2014, TSB effectively pays rent to use its old IT system. The cost of this “transitional service agreement” soared last year from £91.8m to £214m, according to the 2017 accounts. Delay, in effect, was costing £10m-plus a month.
(source)

By contrast, I believe most of the e-retailers are constantly messing around doing so-called A-B testing... just exposing one group of users to new features while others see the unmodified site. If the new features result in more sales... everyone gets the new version. If not, they'll roll it back, rethink and try something else. Look and learn, banksters.

Saw TSB descibed as a "challenger bank" in some coverage. "Challenged bank" would be more like it.
Mr Helpful
Posted: 27 April 2018 18:01:54(UTC)

Was thanked: 899 time(s) in 423 post(s)
Still the problems persist.
Patience is wearing thin with customers and the bank staff are under intense pressure.
We are staying well away until the dust settles, which now likely to be next week earliest.
Unearthed a cheque book (remember them), to pay bills.

Some customers now calling TSB the "Totally Shambolic Bank".
This is a tragedy as more competition in the banking industry needed.

One thoughtful soul asks about the computer system problems "have they tried turning it off and then back on again?".
Tim D
Posted: 27 April 2018 20:17:31(UTC)

Imagine the furore there'd have been if it had been hackers or some cyberattack had taken down a UK retail bank for a week... there'd have surely been a meeting of that Cobra Crisis Committee by now (as there was with the Wannacry virus) and much parliamentary gnashing of teeth and rattling of sabres. But when greed and incompetence are the root cause... not so much it seems.
Nigel G
Posted: 27 April 2018 20:36:31(UTC)

Was thanked: 61 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Thankfully, I've not experienced any problems with my account. I was able to log in on monday (before it was taken back offline), and again when service was restored. Everything seems to be in order and my cards worked throughout.
2 users thanked Nigel G for this post.
Mr Helpful on 27/04/2018(UTC), Big boy on 28/04/2018(UTC)
Stephen B.
Posted: 28 April 2018 10:26:41(UTC)

Was thanked: 227 time(s) in 132 post(s)
Large IT projects are notorious for going disastrously wrong - perhaps the message is that if you know that one is looming you should get out in advance ... I think the basic problem is that it usually only becomes evident at a fairly late stage that the system isn't working well, and so much is invested by then (financially and personally) that they tend to just plough on and hope. I have to give some credit to Alliance Trust Savings that they have backed away from introducing their new system, so far at least.
1 user thanked Stephen B. for this post.
Tim D on 28/04/2018(UTC)
Tim D
Posted: 28 April 2018 11:42:33(UTC)

Some interesting background on how TSB got to their present state in this story: https://www.theguardian....lear-a-year-ago-insider

Been occasionally watching @TSB on twitter since last weekend... horrific, although the rate is perhaps finally declining today... maybe people are just totally flamed out by now. At some point earlier in the week TSB clearly decided they had to carpet bomb it with more positive vibes and have been frantically posting cut-and-paste "Rest assured that you won’t be left out of pocket ... truly sorry ... can’t thank you enough for your patience" platitudes to it. Maybe gives a false impression of how bad things are though... few people ever bother posting "it works for me". Nothing quite like watching a good IT omnishambles from the sidelines though.
Peter59
Posted: 29 April 2018 19:56:47(UTC)

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Move to First Direct, they were the first phone/online bank and in 20 years as a customer I`ve never been let down. Never been an issue with web access and calls are answered in person after about 30 seconds. Got my share dealing ISA with them also. If you can`t access your account or the figures are incorrect, it`s time to move. First Direct are part of HSBC, It`s pretty global/secure.
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets