Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Rebalancing my SIPP
Jim S
Posted: 18 April 2018 20:01:01(UTC)

Was thanked: 295 time(s) in 147 post(s)
If you like investment trusts, one area which is still decent value is Private Equity. Pantheon, Harborvest, Princess, SLPE...there are quite a few ITs in this space still at good discounts.
I have PIN and it seems well diversified and still at a reasonable discount, other Private Equity ITs have better discounts.

ITs seem to work better than funds for property (due partly to liquidity), you could maybe look into some REITs etc

If you want ideas for investment trusts, you could do worse than look at MIGO's underlying holdings. I like JEO, FCSS, FCS, AJG, IGC, but their discounts have mostly come down quite a bit since I bought.

I don't invest in investment trusts because of charges, but because I think sometimes they're better than equivalent funds. Eg. In the 'global' space, apart from SMT, I generally prefer funds (Fundsmith & LTGE in particular) because I think there's better choice.

IT's do have their advantages, but my point here is don't let the charges tail wag the investment dog. Good fund management & stock picking are the key, not whether its a fund or Investment Trust.

3 users thanked Jim S for this post.
mcminvest on 18/04/2018(UTC), Mickey on 18/04/2018(UTC), Michael Grimes on 19/04/2018(UTC)
Jon Snow
Posted: 18 April 2018 21:56:31(UTC)

Was thanked: 877 time(s) in 456 post(s)
“Do you know the only thing that gives me pleasure? It’s to see my dividends coming in.”

–John D. Rockefeller

http://www.dividend.com/blog/?p=51517

I don’t hold individual stocks in my SIPP, it is 90% ITs and 10% UTs. For clarity of income, not for lower fees, they do help though!

The more boring stuff appeals to me as I get “more mature” and I am now in income drawdown (only take 50% of the natural yield though).

I hold large chunks of CTY (15%) and HFEL (30%) and sold my holding of GCP yesterday and added to HFEL, I find the KISS strategy works better for me. Chasing exotic things, finding the next unicorn etc I leave that to smarter folk than me.

But, you say, look at the 5 year performance, CTY and HFEL, they’ve gone nowhere, my (insert your chosen investment) has gone up (insert your figure) %.

I’m interested in capital preservation and income, CTY have announced a 5.8% increase in the quarterly dividend (4.55p vs. 4.30p) and I’d be surprised if HFEL didn’t do a similar thing for the August dividend declaration. So ignoring the other 55% of my SIPP (let’s assume it’s in bonds) that’s nearly a 3% rise in my “income” for this coming year.

I’m with John D Rockefeller on this one.

Caveats -

My opinion
Other sources of income are available
SIPP is part of inheritance planning
Paying 0.45% to HL - why?
Too busy doing other things to micro-manage investments
3 users thanked Jon Snow for this post.
Michael Grimes on 19/04/2018(UTC), Luca Brasi on 19/04/2018(UTC), Vince. on 19/04/2018(UTC)
raybd
Posted: 19 April 2018 07:10:19(UTC)

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 8 post(s)
So far, not much actual advice relevant to the question.

I use AJBell Youinvest platform, it is good value.and am very happy.

Going back many years I have had numerous cases of bad advice from professionals. DIY!!!! "Quis custodiet ipsos custodies". How do you control the adviser?

If you can read a graph, get FE Trustnet Charting up on your screen and check out your portfolio, and check out ant tips you get.

Telegraph Thursadys is a ggod place to start.
1 user thanked raybd for this post.
Michael Grimes on 19/04/2018(UTC)
mcminvest
Posted: 19 April 2018 07:12:38(UTC)

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
raybd;60863 wrote:
So far, not much actual advice relevant to the question.

I use AJBell Youinvest platform, it is good value.and am very happy.

Going back many years I have had numerous cases of bad advice from professionals. DIY!!!! "Quis custodiet ipsos custodies". How do you control the adviser?

If you can read a graph, get FE Trustnet Charting up on your screen and check out your portfolio, and check out ant tips you get.

I mentioned FE

Telegraph Thursadys is a ggod place to start.

anglo29
Posted: 19 April 2018 09:53:13(UTC)

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Without seeing a breakdown of your 21 trusts, it's difficult to express an opinion. Like other posts here, I would suggest you might be better served by cutting the number of trusts, possibly to around 10, making sure you have a diversified portfolio of the best performing trusts in every sector.

My own SIPP before I retired, comprised 7 funds, covering UK Equity Income, Global, and both UK & Global Corporate Bond funds. I also have built up my ISA investments over the years, now providing me with the majority of my retirement income through a mixture of monthly and quarterly dividends.

Re. the comments on HL. I've been with them for many years. Yes they are amongst the most expensive, but they also have (in my opinion) the most comprehensive website going, which facilitates rapid on line dealing, and where you can research every kind of investment you're likely to need, I've also found their service to be reliable and professional.

As with most things in life, you get what you pay for.

2 users thanked anglo29 for this post.
Michael Grimes on 19/04/2018(UTC), dlp6666 on 19/04/2018(UTC)
2 PagesPrevious page12
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets