Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

How to work out return on your investment
I M
Posted: 16 April 2018 11:19:14(UTC)

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Kevin Crane;60693 wrote:

Can you save me some time by giving me pointers on your web lookup on HL? Appreciated :-)

Kevin - I have a list of all the stocks I own and next to each I have a formula that just looks up the stock code or SEDOL on Google Finance with the following formula WEBSERVICE("https://finance.google.co.uk/finance/getprices?q="&{code}&"&x="LON"&p=1d&f=c") where {code} is the stock code on google which I list in a column. That formula gives me the previous day close which is fine for what I want.
1 user thanked I M for this post.
Kevin Crane on 16/04/2018(UTC)
Kevin Crane
Posted: 16 April 2018 14:00:21(UTC)

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I M;60704 wrote:
Kevin Crane;60693 wrote:

Can you save me some time by giving me pointers on your web lookup on HL? Appreciated :-)

Kevin - I have a list of all the stocks I own and next to each I have a formula that just looks up the stock code or SEDOL on Google Finance with the following formula WEBSERVICE("https://finance.google.co.uk/finance/getprices?q="&{code}&"&x="LON"&p=1d&f=c") where {code} is the stock code on google which I list in a column. That formula gives me the previous day close which is fine for what I want.

Thank you!
Mr Helpful
Posted: 16 April 2018 17:39:01(UTC)

Was thanked: 783 time(s) in 370 post(s)
Narendra Dhariwal;60669 wrote:

Every January I total up,substract it from last years total then subtract the amount added that year.That is my profit/loss for that year.Then work out the percentage.Very crude way.
One thing for sure, has never been anywhere near 17%!!!

King Lodos;60673 wrote:

Well it sounds perfectly reasonable .. The fact it's not coming out at 17% a year would give me confidence that you're doing a good job with the maths.

Thread on Boglehead yesterday which might interest :-
https://www.bogleheads.o...184&newpost=3883827

"Yale University's endowment has offered a rebuttal to Warren Buffett and other proponents of low-fee, passive investments.
In its 2017 annual report, released this week, the Ivy League school's investment office argued in favor of the active management strategies long employed by chief investment officer David Swensen and his staff. The top ten U.S. university endowments "amaze," Yale said in the report. "Their well-diversified portfolios crush the returns produced by U.S. stocks."
The argument came in response to Buffett's 2016 investor letter, which suggested that endowments and other institutional investors would be better off investing in the Standard & Poor's 500 index.
For the 20-year period ending June 30, Yale's endowment earned a 12.1 percent annualized return, beating its benchmark Wilshire 5000 stock index, which gained 7.5 percent. A passive portfolio with a 60 percent stock allocation and 40 percent in bonds, meanwhile, had a 20-year return of 6.9 percent."

Plainly Yale et al have some catching up to do !!!
King Lodos
Posted: 16 April 2018 18:39:38(UTC)

Was thanked: 4225 time(s) in 1639 post(s)
Anyone who can average 12%, long-term, is doing exceptionally well.

The problem with the active/passive debate is people are too binary .. The passive crowd have to believe it's impossible to beat the market (except through luck) and the actives think they can pick the best funds .. They're both probably equally wrong.

The market's always been a game of knowing more than the next guy, and there are so many different layers and timeframes to play that on – or niches to play it in .. When it comes to things like Blockchain and Facebook, I don't think the market shows itself to be very smart .. But when it comes to oil supply and wheat harvests, I might as well be pinning the tail on the donkey – so there's no point trying to win everywhere

philip gosling
Posted: 16 April 2018 21:36:10(UTC)

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 66 post(s)
If only Fundsmith , LT Global and other excellent managers and funds/Trusts didn't exist we could all just pick the cheapest broadest ETF/Index Fund and carry on. People like me (old) started with individual stocks and gradually moved to Funds/Trusts and now maybe are switching at least partially into ETFs/Indexes. I know individual stocks have the greatest potential for rewards but as with Carillion/BHS/Woolworth/C&A/Cable & Wireless etc there is occasionally much risk. Other than some Privatisation stocks, and historic buys of Diageo and Babcock I now use mostly Trusts and Funds with only a couple of Vanguard ETFs. At my stage I ought to move more to vanilla ETF /Index Funds but SMT & a few others etc keep me hooked.I am afraid I only make about 6-8% over the years but not too many hiccups along the way. I am tremendously impressed at those that make double digit returns year after year.
5 users thanked philip gosling for this post.
Tim D on 16/04/2018(UTC), mcminvest on 17/04/2018(UTC), North Star on 17/04/2018(UTC), Harry Trout on 17/04/2018(UTC), Guest on 17/04/2018(UTC)
mcminvest
Posted: 17 April 2018 04:57:03(UTC)

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I use the FE Trustnet portfolio tool to track mine. Like the poster regarding the morningstar tool, slightly cumbersome but it is quite accurate. I ran one portfolio just on Vanguard LS 100 to test it and it was only decimal point percentage of a difference out with Vanguard itself. That will do me. Spreadsheets, although great, from experience they can grow into beasts! KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid does for me!
2 users thanked mcminvest for this post.
Harry Trout on 17/04/2018(UTC), Kevin Crane on 17/04/2018(UTC)
2 PagesPrevious page12
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets