Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Emerging UK small companies
Dian
Posted: 17 March 2018 00:43:43(UTC)

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 74 post(s)
I found smaller companies are often under-researched compared to their larger companies. This means investors can often find overlooked opportunities. Could there be some opportunity for new investors in stocks listed below? Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

City of London Investment Group
Yule Catto
James Halstead
Stadium Group
Symphony International Technologies
Stanley Gibbons
XP Power
Empresaria Group plc
2 users thanked Dian for this post.
Jim S on 17/03/2018(UTC), Peter Sm on 17/03/2018(UTC)
Ermintrade
Posted: 17 March 2018 11:12:29(UTC)

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I don't know about those Dian, but have a look at Amino Technologies (AMO). I bought shares in AMO this week. It is a tech company, providing internet TV video solutions to network providers.
Its profits are up 9% in 2017, yet has a PE of 13.7 and net cash of £13 million. It pays a dividend of 3.2%. AMO exports its technology to 100 countries.
I intend to hold this company for some time, but obviously DYOR.
Regards
ermintrade
4 users thanked Ermintrade for this post.
Jim S on 17/03/2018(UTC), Peter Sm on 17/03/2018(UTC), Dian on 18/03/2018(UTC), gillyann on 18/03/2018(UTC)
Micawber
Posted: 17 March 2018 12:28:06(UTC)

Was thanked: 2688 time(s) in 1018 post(s)
Dian;58871 wrote:
I found smaller companies are often under-researched compared to their larger companies. This means investors can often find overlooked opportunities. Could there be some opportunity for new investors in stocks listed below? Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

City of London Investment Group
Yule Catto
James Halstead
Stadium Group
Symphony International Technologies
Stanley Gibbons
XP Power
Empresaria Group plc

CLIG - maybe, it's a while since I held it or looked again at it, I recall the manager has a program to dispose of his shares (?), whether it is again an opportunity or not I can't say.

Stanley Gibbons - avoid. I baled out a few years ago before it crashed. I seem to recall it had big debts after taking over Noble coins and that its vital new website was a disaster. Have those things now been rectified? Has the poorly-performing management been changed? Do you think the sector of stamp and coin collecting is on an upswing or a fading relic of the nineteenth century? Are shares in the company really a diversification because of its sector, or just another failing old equity?

James Halstead on my watchlist since July 2016 when it was tipped. Glad I didn't buy, as it is up a paltry 9.4% since then. What does your analysis show of the revenue split between UK and overseas? Are floorings on an uptick (not in UK, where construction both institutional and domestic has slowed)?
3 users thanked Micawber for this post.
Jim S on 17/03/2018(UTC), Dian on 18/03/2018(UTC), gillyann on 18/03/2018(UTC)
Dian
Posted: 18 March 2018 03:10:00(UTC)

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Quote:
Micawber wrote:

CLIG - maybe, it's a while since I held it or looked again at it, I recall the manager has a program to dispose of his shares (?), whether it is again an opportunity or not I can't say.

Stanley Gibbons - avoid. I baled out a few years ago before it crashed. I seem to recall it had big debts after taking over Noble coins and that its vital new website was a disaster. Have those things now been rectified? Has the poorly-performing management been changed? Do you think the sector of stamp and coin collecting is on an upswing or a fading relic of the nineteenth century? Are shares in the company really a diversification because of its sector, or just another failing old equity?

James Halstead on my watchlist since July 2016 when it was tipped. Glad I didn't buy, as it is up a paltry 9.4% since then. What does your analysis show of the revenue split between UK and overseas? Are floorings on an uptick (not in UK, where construction both institutional and domestic has slowed)?

On James Halstead

In addition to their successive Queen's Awards, they have a portfolio of global brands such as Polyflor. This is one of the UK companies which can make money in emerging markets.Currently, I am gathering some information. It could be kind of emerging market play as well. This company has some good numbers. I don’t expect high earnings growth in the near future but it seems that they can maintain its relatively high rates of return on equity (ROE) and dividend payment. If I see great value in companies like this, I will grab them from my both hands. It also has relatively high profit margins while operating with median capital turns.

https://simplywall.st/st...st-industry-performance/
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets