Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Is Plus500 a good trading platform?
Altin Bozhani
Posted: 15 February 2018 22:57:39(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Dears,

I have started trading in the last three months. The only platform I have used is plus500 but I find it very "weird". Apart of the fact that allows trading only on CFD , so future contracts, I get charged for holding open positions. Given that profitable positions materialise on longer terms I end up paying significant daily charges which wipe out any potential profit! Therefore I am forced to do inter-day tradings which to me are more gambling rather than proper dealings. On top it does not provide access to a lot of profitable instruments which can be used for passive trading.

I have had a look at the broker comparison tool but I am not sure which one to use.
I would like to have access to shares, forex, EFTs , derivatives and the possibility to keep positions for longer periods and not have to pay daily charges.

I will appreciate your advise on which platform will be the best.

Looking forward to your replies.
1 user thanked Altin Bozhani for this post.
Andrew Smith 259 on 17/02/2018(UTC)
energol
Posted: 16 February 2018 21:31:00(UTC)

Altin Bozhani
Posted: 17 February 2018 20:13:05(UTC)

Thank you Energol. I reside in UK . The two platforms you mention charge higher rates for non US residents. I need platform that does not charge extra fees for non US residents and as well allows non spread and CFD trading , pure share purchasing and holdings.
Tom Bards
Posted: 17 February 2018 20:27:53(UTC)

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 82 post(s)
IG?

Just a note, you will always have to pay a daily charge for keeping long positions over night. That is just part of the nature of trading futures, CFD's, options etc.

If you just want to own shares and not Options, CFD's etc. then there a many good platforms that only charge a yearly fee.
Altin Bozhani
Posted: 17 February 2018 20:58:09(UTC)

Tom Bards;57428 wrote:
IG?

Just a note, you will always have to pay a daily charge for keeping long positions over night. That is just part of the nature of trading futures, CFD's, options etc.

If you just want to own shares and not Options, CFD's etc. then there a many good platforms that only charge a yearly fee.

Thank you Tom, which ones are those good platforms that allow to buy shares? The ones I have been looking at allow spread betting, DFT, CFD but no share purchasing.
Tom Bards
Posted: 17 February 2018 21:07:16(UTC)

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Altin Bozhani;57429 wrote:
Tom Bards;57428 wrote:
IG?

Thank you Tom, which ones are those good platforms that allow to buy shares? The ones I have been looking at allow spread betting, DFT, CFD but no share purchasing.

Well I use personally Hargreaves Lansdown and find them to be very good but I'm sure other users use other providers such as Barclays but I can't give an opinion of these because I have never used them.
1 user thanked Tom Bards for this post.
Altin Bozhani on 01/03/2018(UTC)
David Jacks
Posted: 28 February 2018 10:37:54(UTC)

Honestly I prefer XM, it's friendly broker and they give 50% deposit bonus,
if you want bonus link: 50bonus.net
1 user thanked David Jacks for this post.
Altin Bozhani on 01/03/2018(UTC)
john_r
Posted: 11 March 2018 15:38:21(UTC)

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 112 post(s)
If its longer term investing in shares rather than short term trading that you want then take a look at brokers such as Iweb, You Invest, Interactive Investor, HL, Jarvis X-O etc etc .
They will charge to buy and to sell shares, etfs , funds (around £5 to £12) - and some have a holding fee such as 0.25% pa (usually capped at a maximum value). X - O do not trade in funds.
There will also be a 0.5% tax on most of these type of purchases.
Ronald Williams
Posted: 13 June 2018 18:51:21(UTC)

So I'm new here as well and have seen posts alleging some weird stuff at Plus500, particularly around withdrawals. I'm trying to pick a platform to trade on and that plus leverage at Plus500 concern me.

I haven't opened an account anywhere yet, because I'm trying to figure out the broker that is the least likely to cause me to blow up. Does Plus500 immediately allow you to get max leverage, and is it hard to throttle it down for practice? How do the other firms handle this?

Lastly, I read that the European regulators are requiring maximum leverage to be lowered significantly across a bunch of different asset classes - how do you guys deal w this? Put up a bigger deposit or just move to a different broker outside EU...feel like if it's move to a different broker I might as well avoid any of the European CFD firms and just go offshore immediately.
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets