Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Stocks for 2018
Dian
Posted: 20 January 2018 05:28:53(UTC)

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 55 post(s)
UK Market

Mr Helpful wrote:
Quote:
BRCI (Commodities Income) continues to climb, while still IMHO remaining fair value.

Thinking about value makes some sense at this point.

Joe Soap wrote:
Quote:
Nobody watching Hurricane Energy (HUR)? Up 50% this year so far. Lots more to come in this multi bagger.

Definitely, multibagger stocks will lead to less worries and will give us great return with minimum risk.

Jim S wrote:
Quote:
Anyone have a view on Toople or know much about it?
Seems like a minnow (2 million mkt cap!), announcement today suggest its growth strategy seems to be working

I also like to follow badly beaten stocks in 2016/17. Lately there had been some interest on it. Was there any major reason for its poor performance?

The USA

It seems still the consumer staple sector, has been benefiting from the uptick in the U.S. economy.Consumer staples index led the USA market last week.

https://www.reuters.com/...r-staples-idUSL8N1PE2QG

Frontier market

It seems different fund managers and investors prefer different destinations.

http://kenyanwallstreet....ntier-markets-watch-2018
John Miskelly
Posted: 10 February 2018 16:55:51(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Recently purchased 271 Shell B shares at £25.60, price now sitting at £22.50 each. I'm hoping to hold on to these long term and reinvest the dividends into whatever looks interesting at the time. Shell appear to have a solid track record of dividend payments so this is helping to take a bit of the sting out of seeing the £800+ drop in value!
1 user thanked John Miskelly for this post.
Mickey on 11/02/2018(UTC)
Hilary hames
Posted: 10 February 2018 21:43:54(UTC)

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 16 post(s)
King Lodos;54643 wrote:
I've got a 'fun money' account I'm trying a new tack with.

– Half the account's in 3x ETFs, following monthly trends, systematic;
– Half's in a handful of quality stocks to buy and hold.

The ETFs this month have been US Financials, Consumer Discretionary and Healthcare.

The first stock pick is Diageo .. Looking to add Johnson & Johnson and Microsoft.

Hoping to find 6x stocks .. Most seem to be looking at annual returns of between 5 and 6% (based on FCF growth) – and similar on PE .. Unilever got a little expensive, but I'd be looking for a point to buy .. I may go for two slightly more off-the-radar stocks

Thank you for sharing with us in another post, which ETFs you hold (or recently held) . What sources do you use please for picking the sectors and individual ETFs?
Keith Hilton
Posted: 10 February 2018 22:04:34(UTC)

Was thanked: 387 time(s) in 230 post(s)
John Miskelly;56909 wrote:
Recently purchased 271 Shell B shares at £25.60, price now sitting at £22.50 each. I'm hoping to hold on to these long term and reinvest the dividends into whatever looks interesting at the time. Shell appear to have a solid track record of dividend payments so this is helping to take a bit of the sting out of seeing the £800+ drop in value!

There's a saying - "Never sell Shell".

I top-sliced at £23.30 and regretted it as the share price rose. Now it's back below where I sold at, so now feeling a bit smug. It's all relative.

To me, Shell appears to be a good income stock today, but I worry about their long term future. Whilst they're trying to diversify away from oil, I'm not sure that they'll be the same quality stock in the future. Are electric car charging points and electricity retail a sound investment?

I think that they're a good income stock for the short to medium term, but longer term it's more uncertain, so be prepared to bale out when things go downhill.
1 user thanked Keith Hilton for this post.
Dian
Posted: 10 February 2018 23:25:52(UTC)

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 55 post(s)
I still see good potential in value-oriented stocks in Europe, the U.S and abroad. Stocks should be better than bonds and commodities once again in 2018. Attractively valued markets could have more upside potential. Fund managers, money managers and investors are looking for value now.
1 user thanked Dian for this post.
3 PagesPrevious page123
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets