Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Non-UK Resident Mutual Funds
iMatt
Posted: 09 January 2018 05:13:07(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
New to the forum here, hello everybody :)

I'm looking for some help and guidance. I'm new to finance and looking to start investing in a mutual fund.

I've been looking at Vanguard and some of the other prominent funds.

I'm British but currently living and working outside of the UK, this appears to be an issue.

Can anybody point me in the right direction for UK based funds that will accept my investment, or alternatively, reliable, recommended international services?

Thanks in advance!

Matt
AJW
Posted: 10 January 2018 10:22:38(UTC)

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 14 post(s)
It may help to know which country or continent specifically you are living/working in.
iMatt
Posted: 10 January 2018 10:44:07(UTC)

Hi AJW,

Southeast Asia (not Singapore).

Regards,
1 user thanked iMatt for this post.
AJW on 10/01/2018(UTC)
mhindo
Posted: 10 January 2018 11:53:35(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I'm in the same boat since years also living in SE Asia. For what its worth my advice would be to go into investment trusts rather than mutual funds. As an overseas resident you can open investment trust accounts directly with Baillie Gifford, Foreign & Colonial and Aberdeen and manage everything online. Just with these 3 accounts the range of investment options is already quite broad.Of course there are AML requirements you have to navigate at the start but once setup it all works pretty smooth. Far more convenient that mutual funds, lower costs and better performing. For example SMT, MNKS, MYI, FCS, SCAM, BGS, EWI and others In particular check out the performance of Baillie Gifford trusts for last year..
good luck !
3 users thanked mhindo for this post.
Tim D on 10/01/2018(UTC), iMatt on 10/01/2018(UTC), PeterBill on 11/01/2018(UTC)
iMatt
Posted: 10 January 2018 13:24:29(UTC)

Thanks mhindo

I’ll do some reading into that.
iMatt
Posted: 11 January 2018 04:25:38(UTC)

mhindo;55213 wrote:
I'm in the same boat since years also living in SE Asia. For what its worth my advice would be to go into investment trusts rather than mutual funds. As an overseas resident you can open investment trust accounts directly with Baillie Gifford, Foreign & Colonial and Aberdeen and manage everything online. Just with these 3 accounts the range of investment options is already quite broad.Of course there are AML requirements you have to navigate at the start but once setup it all works pretty smooth. Far more convenient that mutual funds, lower costs and better performing. For example SMT, MNKS, MYI, FCS, SCAM, BGS, EWI and others In particular check out the performance of Baillie Gifford trusts for last year..
good luck !

Looks like Aberdeen is a good shout, no resident issues for their non-ISA account and some good performance on their offerings.

Baillie and Gifford have residency issues for non-UK domiciles.

I also have a Barclays MarketMaker account which I opened prior to leaving the UK.

Out of interest, anybody open and invest into funds for UK-residents while living outside of the country? Not that I'm thinking of doing it, just wondered what the implications would be.
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets