Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Funds Platform, Interactive Investor
huudi
Posted: 01 January 2018 19:53:06(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Mr Helpful;54779 wrote:
huudi;54759 wrote:

P.S. I have a Barclays 'smart investor' ha.ha! account. despite 3 written complaints to Barclays I have yet to receive the new login details, SINCE AUGUST? is this a record? I get replies saying '4 weeks', 'another 4 weeks'! etc. There must be complete chaos at Barclays, one letter or E-mail should have fixed it.

Horrific experience !!!

One suggestion if not already tried, use the freephone telephone number and sit on the phone until they give the details needed.
And persist relentlessly, not taking no for an answer.
Some info might be withheld on security reasons initially, but the confidential info already in their possession from your old Barclays Stockbrokers account (which only you will know) should theoretically (incompetence excepted) be sufficient to permit the necessary log-in info to be given to you.
It worked for us to get that missing info in the lead up to the launch of so called SmartInvestor.
Following the launch it is anybody's guess (sigh).

Sincere sympathies.

Thanks Mr helpful, I do not know of a Freephone number for SI, could you post it if you have one please? secondly I am stone deaf in one ear and partially in the other (thanks to NHS incompetence) and find any phone conversation a struggle, which gives the impression that I am severely retarded, not there yet though.
P.S. I have just discovered the 'disaster at Smart Investor blog', it doesn't fill me with confidence.
mc2
Posted: 01 January 2018 20:05:53(UTC)

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Everything else out there seems to be better than Best Invest from what I keep reading... Lucky I got out of it ages ago... Putting aside the good service, HL, the problem here is that some investor of funds find HL cheap or at least tolerable because of some rebates on Funds Management charges.... Now what I seemed to have noticed is that buying a fund through HL seems quite often to be more expensive... Let's say to buy a Fund through Fidelity you get management charges 0.80%... But through HL is 1% on which you get the bonus rebate of 0,20%... Making it look like HL gives a rebate and Fidelity doesn't...then on top of that comes HL 0,45% platform fee, while with Fidelity it's 0,35%... So really at the end of the day Fidelity is cheaper even if you don't get a rebate like HL
Steve L. Jones
Posted: 02 January 2018 01:03:48(UTC)

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 6 post(s)
[quote=Mr Helpful;54779][quote=huudi;54759]
" One suggestion if not already tried, use the freephone telephone number and sit on the phone until they give the details needed.
And persist relentlessly, not taking no for an answer.
Some info might be withheld on security reasons initially, but the confidential info already in their possession from your old Barclays Stockbrokers account (which only you will know) should theoretically (incompetence excepted) be sufficient to permit the necessary log-in info to be given to you.
It worked for us to get that missing info in the lead up to the launch of so called SmartInvestor.
Following the launch it is anybody's guess (sigh)."

"The confidential info already in their possession..." Trouble with this is that it is in THEIR possession. I'm told that the test question they typically ask is "what holding is the largest in your account?". Sounds simple enough, but not all their old customers can answer, if like Huudi they cannot access their account. He could probably tell Barclays what WAS his position before Dumb Investor was shoved into (in)action four months ago, before which --to my now surprise--they graciously sent customers a statement of how things then stood under dear old Marketmaster. But now, after four months of share-price movement since Dumb-Day?

As for Mr Helpful's well-judged caution of "incompetence excepted", how justified it indeed is ! Has anyone met anything but incompetence from the new system, hopelessly ill-designed and now as hopelessly understaffed to handle the deep disaffection created by that ill-design.
huudi
Posted: 02 January 2018 06:05:43(UTC)

My final Broker for the blacklist is Charles Stanley. Recently they introduced punitive charges, probably for inactivity. I opened an account originally because in the days of certificates they always answered the phone, even in market panics when others left them 'off the hook'. Sadly this did not transfer to their online effort. Almost every attempt to deal is thwarted due to various excuses such as 'market conditions' or 'matched bargains'. I then go to any other broker (such as ii) who do not suffer from 'market conditions'. I translate this as 'can't be bothered' or 'down the pub'.
I recently checked the last years movements in this account and was horrified to find the only transactions were random deductions, sometimes quarterly or monthly of varying amounts from ~£10 to ~£58. If this is the punishment for inactivity then it is little wonder they suffer from 'market conditions'. Nothing unusual about the equity, Even Shell & BP suffered from 'market conditions'.
I am now thinking of a move to iweb/Halifax or XO, any opinions are welcome. Or as a cabbie did recently, Premium Bond & Bitcoin.
B B
Posted: 02 January 2018 10:03:30(UTC)

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
huudi;54759 wrote:
P.S. I have a Barclays 'smart investor' ha.ha! account. despite 3 written complaints to Barclays I have yet to receive the new login details, SINCE AUGUST? is this a record? I get replies saying '4 weeks', 'another 4 weeks'! etc. There must be complete chaos at Barclays, one letter or E-mail should have fixed it.

Have you tried these?

John McFarlane Chairman . john.mcfarlane@barclays.com

Mr Jes Staley Chief Executive. jes.staley@barclays.com

1 user thanked B B for this post.
huudi on 02/01/2018(UTC)
philip gosling
Posted: 02 January 2018 10:35:57(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 8 post(s)
B B;54376 wrote:
This subject may have been covered elsewhere, but I'd be interested to hear about the fund platform, Interactive Investor, from either a current or past user. I'm looking to move away from Bestinvest and Int Inv appear to offer similar facilities significantly cheaper, although that's not the reason for moving.

Everything would be Isa's no shares.

Strangely i am moving from Interactive Investor to Halifax for my ISAs and to Hargreaves Landsdowne for my SIPP. Interactive Investor have just changed their pricing and organisation of ISAs and SIPPS following expansion and take overs. Used to be one charge per family now each person pays thus increasing costs by 100% at least - only one month's notice as well.
Not as good research as HL but if you are not a regular trader then buy and sell costs are ok and annual charge will be one of the lowest for one person. Quite efficient but not exactly customer friendly as no relationship established with customer services.
1 user thanked philip gosling for this post.
B B on 02/01/2018(UTC)
Joe Soap
Posted: 02 January 2018 12:43:04(UTC)

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 101 post(s)
mc2;54787 wrote:
Everything else out there seems to be better than Best Invest from what I keep reading... Lucky I got out of it ages ago... Putting aside the good service, HL, the problem here is that some investor of funds find HL cheap or at least tolerable because of some rebates on Funds Management charges.... Now what I seemed to have noticed is that buying a fund through HL seems quite often to be more expensive... Let's say to buy a Fund through Fidelity you get management charges 0.80%... But through HL is 1% on which you get the bonus rebate of 0,20%... Making it look like HL gives a rebate and Fidelity doesn't...then on top of that comes HL 0,45% platform fee, while with Fidelity it's 0,35%... So really at the end of the day Fidelity is cheaper even if you don't get a rebate like HL

If you want to use Fideilty platform, I recommend you do so through Cavendish who offer that platform for 0.25% rather than the 0.35% if you go direct.
3 users thanked Joe Soap for this post.
B B on 02/01/2018(UTC), mc2 on 02/01/2018(UTC), Jim Thompson on 03/01/2018(UTC)
B B
Posted: 02 January 2018 13:11:44(UTC)

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
The response and info received is much appreciated.

As stated, I'm looking at "Candid Money" managed by ex Best and Chase de Vere and wondered if any one has an opinion of them as such. Being small they're approachable and responsive, similar to small and large caps, but without the risk. perhaps!

As a platform, Fidelity have a lot to offer, including management accessibility if necessary, and above 250k their charge is £0.2% which includes family members.
Bellabeck
Posted: 02 January 2018 13:44:30(UTC)

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Most posters don't have a good thing to say for II. My experience has been ok since initial teething problems when moving funds from L&G a couple of years ago. I am not a frequent trader so the migration to TD Direct platform architecture is irritating but still the fixed costs are so much lower for a long term buy and hold saver. That is worth a lot to me.
huudi
Posted: 02 January 2018 17:49:18(UTC)

B B;54807 wrote:
huudi;54759 wrote:

Have you tried these?

John McFarlane Chairman . john.mcfarlane@barclays.com

Mr Jes Staley Chief Executive. jes.staley@barclays.com

4 months of head-banging and got nowhere, now after 2 days on this and the 'Disaster at Barclays' discussion I get a call out of the blue from Dumbo. Amazing coincidence, are they reading this? They did ask for my membership no, I said "that's what I want". Of course its still only promises.........?
Jim Thompson
Posted: 03 January 2018 06:54:45(UTC)

Was thanked: 175 time(s) in 67 post(s)
iWeb is fine if you wanted to move. The only niggle I came across recently was the tick box exercise just before you place a buy to confirm you have read the kiid documents. I struggled to do it on my mobile phone, which one could argue is my fault for not setting up my phone properly.
1 user thanked Jim Thompson for this post.
william barnes on 03/01/2018(UTC)
william barnes
Posted: 03 January 2018 10:36:54(UTC)

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 7 post(s)
As per Jim above I’ve had that minor tick box problem when dealing on my iPad.
But cheap charges far outweigh this temp minor niggle
W Philip
Posted: 15 January 2018 09:27:14(UTC)

Regarding Interactive Investor, I would have a look at Trustpilot and read the reviews since the platform change. they are almost universally terrible.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.iii.co.uk

My experience has been of bad, getting worse, and worse still. Customer service has been totally overwhelmed, and the kind of language being used by many is 'meltdown' and 'collapse' of the entire system.

I would be moving for sure, except that at present I fear the setup is so chaotic I would genuinely fear for my funds being totally lost in the process. Once things settle down, I will be heading for the door as soon as I feel it is safe to do so.
MV
Posted: 15 January 2018 21:31:37(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I've been having serious problems with my II account, but I'll start a new topic because I think it raises the issue of whether platform providers are justified in charging high exit fees when their basic level of service is so poor. I believe that the issue deserves investigation by a body such as the FCA or the Financial Ombudsman's Office.
1 user thanked MV for this post.
W Philip on 15/01/2018(UTC)
Tony Airey
Posted: 15 January 2018 22:33:03(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Unless you're a totally DIY investor (good luck) surely the question is the efficacy of the advice you receive not the cost/transaction?
W Philip
Posted: 15 January 2018 23:14:45(UTC)

Yes - massive problems at iii recently. Check out trustpilot and you will see hundreds of hugely negative reviews. The service has totally collapsed. I would avoid definitely, at least meantime.
2 PagesPrevious page12
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets