Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Disaster at Barclays Stockbrokers?
Alan O
Posted: 17 February 2018 08:51:05(UTC)

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Try client.relations@barclays.com. That's the email address I have been given in response to one of my Formal Complaints.

You can also email Alastair Thaw (alastair.thaw@barclays.com). I have found that messages to him directly get a response. Copying to Jes Staley (jes.staley@barclays.com) does no harm either.
1 user thanked Alan O for this post.
Fleury on 17/02/2018(UTC)
Milo Don
Posted: 17 February 2018 10:50:51(UTC)

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 12 post(s)
To John Curran,

When Barclays (finally) transferred my stocks to HL, the cost figures were an absolute nonsense. I had taken the precaution of downloading my portfolio data before starting the transfer so was able to pass on the correct details to HL.
Assuming BS have still been sending you periodic valuations, they should have the bookcost on them - and any trades after the most recent valuation should have contract notes with the cost. A bit of legwork for you, but worth it for accuracy's sake.

At least in an ISA you don't need to worry about working out CGT!
DGL
Posted: 17 February 2018 12:37:22(UTC)

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Steve
This issue of communications has been my BIGGEST complaint. In the good old days - I could send an email about (say) a non-urgent matter and get a reply in 48 ? 72 ? hours - fine.
As I do not hold a Barclays current account - I no longer have this facility. So have to sit on a phone for ages, or use the (seldom available) webchat.
This has to be a stupid business decision as it takes up their staff's time as well as my own.
I have written to their complaints team and been told - there are no current plans to fix this issue. They even suggested I should open a current account especially. madness.
Getting very near to trying to transfer my total c. £ 700k portfolios to HL despite the high charges.
Stephen B.
Posted: 17 February 2018 12:51:19(UTC)

Was thanked: 189 time(s) in 110 post(s)
They don't reply all that fast even if you do have a current account, maybe a week and often not very informative when they do reply.
Mickey
Posted: 17 February 2018 13:12:52(UTC)

Was thanked: 509 time(s) in 251 post(s)
john curran;57386 wrote:
When the OK Barclays Stockbrokers morphed into Dumb Investor, DI recorded completely wrong cost figures for the holdings of my family ISA's. No explanation and no correction. And when I transferred them to TD, now Interactive Investor, they went over at "zero" cost.

I am now told it is not industry practice to tell the new provider the cost figures.

Could anyone please share experiences of transfers on this point -- either from DI to somewhere else, or between two non-Barclays providers. I have never transferred ISA's before.

From memory, when I transferred from American Express Sharepeople as they were closing down, the cost basis was shown as zero. I have moved a couple of other times since but always as cash, hence unable to help further.

Shame AMEX closed, they were very good.
1 user thanked Mickey for this post.
john curran on 21/02/2018(UTC)
TGod
Posted: 17 February 2018 18:39:45(UTC)

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 4 post(s)
john curran;57386 wrote:
When the OK Barclays Stockbrokers morphed into Dumb Investor, DI recorded completely wrong cost figures for the holdings of my family ISA's. No explanation and no correction. And when I transferred them to TD, now Interactive Investor, they went over at "zero" cost.

I am now told it is not industry practice to tell the new provider the cost figures.

Could anyone please share experiences of transfers on this point -- either from DI to somewhere else, or between two non-Barclays providers. I have never transferred ISA's before.

I transferred an ISA from Barclays to Halifax a few months ago and the cost figures were wrong although not zero.

Obviously there was no CGT implication but I wanted the right figures shown so I just phoned Halifax Share dealing (no call waiting) and told them the correct figures and asked them to change them which they did within 24 hours.
Drogue
Posted: 18 February 2018 10:12:02(UTC)

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 3 post(s)
To rub salt into the festering wound that is Smart Investor, this quote from the Daily Mail re: Salaries. The price of failure.

Barclays boss Jes Staley – who is under investigation by City regulators over his attempts to unmask a whistleblower – will receive about £3.8 million. He is not eligible yet for long-term incentive payouts but is likely to get a £900,000 bonus on top of his estimated £2.9 million in regular pay, pension and benefits.

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.c...-pay.html#ixzz57S991Pif
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Philip Davie
Posted: 20 February 2018 20:30:57(UTC)

Philip Davie;56160 wrote:
Progress on transfer - so I started a transfer of my ISA on 23rd Nov (2017) and the stock arrived at Interactive Investor on 25th Jan 2018 so that is a touch over 2 months. Cash still waiting to come over, Barclays say that will take 2 to 4 weeks.

I think I have come out of this well compared to other posters!

So the majority of the cash was taken out of BSI account today and guess it will arrive at Interactive Investor at some point soon. There is a deduction of 90p for some fees or other which I cannot be bothered to argue about. Then a dividend arrived today as well so there is more cash to transfer over.

Getting there. Been out of the market for quite a while waiting on this.

Not really clear why the cash has taken another 4 weeks to make it across.
huudi
Posted: 21 February 2018 08:36:41(UTC)

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Mrs E has finally received login info after almost 6 months of complaining! She's down about £3000 in that time but Barc gave her £150 to compensate. Having looked at the site it seems basic with nothing to justify the charges.
Mickey
Posted: 21 February 2018 09:01:05(UTC)

Was thanked: 509 time(s) in 251 post(s)
huudi;57655 wrote:
Mrs E has finally received login info after almost 6 months of complaining! She's down about £3000 in that time but Barc gave her £150 to compensate. Having looked at the site it seems basic with nothing to justify the charges.

That seems unacceptable to me. Forget the compensation issue, no company should be able to prevent you accessing your own money for 6 months. If that is the case then you must be able to do something about that.
24 Pages«Previous page222324
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets