Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Investment Trust Research
Chris Howland
Posted: 26 August 2017 15:30:59(UTC)

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I've been investing in IT for about five years and have learned quite a bit along the way. Amongst the things I like about IT are their relatively finite number (<600), breadth of investment scope and the fact that you can invest in a 'basket' of shares without having to own them all yourself. Being able to sometimes buy a £1 of assets for a lot less than £1 is also attractive!

I invest for yield, and being retired I spend the proceeds (at least until the state pension kicks in).

I generally buy and hold, but do maintain the portfolio, pruning here and there when values have risen/fallen significantly and better opportunities present themselves. My 20 holdings were initially built around John Baron principles, but I've latterly moved away from simply copying his transactions.

My primary sources of investment information are:

www.morningstar.co.uk

Investors Chronicle (subscription)

www.trustnet.com

www.theaic.co.uk

I also receive trust analysis/research reports from:

Quoted Data (www.quoteddata.com)

Edison (www.edisoninvestmentresearch.com)

Kepler (www.trustintelligence.co.uk)

I wondered what others opinion is of these sources and whether they have additional sources of research/review that they could share?
5 users thanked Chris Howland for this post.
Vince. on 27/08/2017(UTC), Jim S on 27/08/2017(UTC), dlp6666 on 29/08/2017(UTC), Guest on 19/09/2017(UTC), m crawfy on 11/10/2017(UTC)
Betty G
Posted: 27 August 2017 07:59:12(UTC)

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 31 post(s)
3 users thanked Betty G for this post.
Chris Howland on 27/08/2017(UTC), Vince. on 27/08/2017(UTC), dlp6666 on 29/08/2017(UTC)
N Brun
Posted: 30 August 2017 22:50:32(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Shareradio do a podcast called The Investment Trust Show, it's not massively in depth but it's an easy listen.

I like the episodes featuring fund managers, like James Henderson & Job Curtis.

The last episode on iTunes is from April this year, does anyone know if the show had stopped now?

Nick Train did a podcast with Brewin Dolphin on 19/03/2016 regarding his investing style which is worth listening to.

2 users thanked N Brun for this post.
Chris Howland on 31/08/2017(UTC), c brown on 09/10/2017(UTC)
Antony A
Posted: 05 October 2017 14:07:19(UTC)

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I find Investors Chronicle too expensive and I rarely invest directly in equities, and theaic.co.uk is just a trade body and doesn't offer anything unique in my experience.

I mainly use Trustnet for statistics and monitoring real and potential portfolios, and Interactive Investor as my trading platform and the discussion and technical analysis pages of individual trusts. I use Morningstar occasionally but find it largely repeats information available elsewhere.

I like the new Citywire investment trust website and email alerts.

www.whichinvestmenttrust.co.uk has some interesting analysis of individual trusts, much like Trust Intelligence, Quoted Data and Edison.

I used to use www.johnbaronportfolios.co.uk, as I liked his approach to portfolio-building and thematic investing (some of which you can pick up in his regular column in Investors Chronicle), but since he started charging £160+ a year for access to this site, I decided to pass.

Baron's influence is still there however because my growth portfolio is constructed from a mixture of theme and region (looking forward) and of track record based on past performance, leavened with a couple of direct equities. The equity holdings are for portfolio protection and diversification, so if, for example, I am going to risk buying a holding in gold, I would prefer this to be in a gold miner that is close to being a gold producer, rather than an ETF or general precious metal trust like GPM; then one has double potential for uplift, from a general rise in the price of gold if a recession appears to be starting, and again as the market re-rates the individual company when it starts generating hard cash. This offers some protection so that even if there isn't a recession and the rest of my portfolio performs well, the gold element will still earn its keep because of the production angle (and of course as an insurance policy). The same applies to oil: an exploration company is always risky but offers excellent potential for returns if you get lucky, but an oil explorer that is building a production arm, coupled with a recovery in the price of oil, gives you two potential sources of return rather than one, so you can still make money even if the POO stays low.
2 users thanked Antony A for this post.
Chris Howland on 05/10/2017(UTC), Guest on 06/10/2017(UTC)
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets