Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Fund tracking tool?
Paul Adams
Posted: 03 October 2017 17:40:58(UTC)

Hi All

I am totally new to this forum and this is my first post, so if the question I am about to ask is a bit dumb, please dont shoot me down :)

What is the best online resource to identify fund performance, is there something which shows a complete list of funds available on the market with up to date figures?

And / or

where is there a good tracker to show which are the best and worst performing funds?

It seems that where I look around the internet, different websites seem to shown different information.

As I said, I am new here so its extremely likely what I am asking is a little idiotic - apologies in advance.

Paul
Lawny
Posted: 04 October 2017 20:01:58(UTC)

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 42 post(s)
It's not idiotic - there are hardly any idiotic questions; it's the answers that you have to watch.

For what its worth, I use Trustnet.com and Morningstar.co.uk. Both let you compare funds and give their own performance ratings and both let you set up portfolios and track the results. The Hargreaves Landsdown site is also really good though some may worry that their selection of of preferred funds are driven by more factors than simply performance.

1 user thanked Lawny for this post.
TeaJay on 11/10/2017(UTC)
Alan Selwood
Posted: 04 October 2017 23:19:38(UTC)

Was thanked: 4349 time(s) in 1591 post(s)
I use Trustnet, having an actual portfolio list with them, a plain watchlist, and a large hypothetical watchlist that has fictitious purchases, each of the same very large sum all on the same day about 5 years ago, so that I can see how my 'dream list' might have performed had I made those investments then. Each watchlist has both shares and funds and investment trusts and ETFs. (No overseas shares, as Trustnet does not include data on them)

When I want to look back and see how my actual and my imaginary holdings have fared, I go to the middle of the bottom of the page of each list, click on the 'detailed analysis' and set for 'with' or 'without' reinvested income, and for cumulative performance or annualised performance or discrete period performance, over various periods of up to 10 years. All quite revealing, and useful in cutting through the hype or over-enthusiasm of tipsters! So far, I have not seen an ETF that I wish I had bought after seeing the performance.

2 users thanked Alan Selwood for this post.
satish mittal on 15/10/2017(UTC), Jpb250 on 25/01/2018(UTC)
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets