Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Transactions
Betty G
Posted: 23 August 2017 16:59:05(UTC)

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 18 post(s)

Hindsight is a wonderful tool KL.

My 'cudda wudda' came in the guise of a broker email to say that my price had been met at 580 but moved again before the trade could be executed. I've been trading ENTU and I took my eye off the ball.
I have Left the order open.
Carillion is now on my radar but the RI is complicating the math.
1 user thanked Betty G for this post.
King Lodos on 23/08/2017(UTC)
Big boy
Posted: 23 August 2017 18:36:58(UTC)

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Most private investors would be better flipping a coin rather than using emotion. Investors using emotions tend to underperform rather than adding value. I made £460 on a day trade yesterday but could easily have lost £1/-.
Even experts don't get it right with all the resources so how can private investor get it right.
Tyrion Lannister
Posted: 23 August 2017 18:39:42(UTC)

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Big boy;50188 wrote:
Most private investors would be better flipping a coin rather than using emotion. Investors using emotions tend to underperform rather than adding value. I made £460 on a day trade yesterday but could easily have lost £1/-.
Even experts don't get it right with all the resources so how can private investor get it right.

My answer is simple, by investing for the long term with good fund managers.
Tyrion Lannister
Posted: 23 August 2017 20:49:49(UTC)

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Betty G;50178 wrote:

Hindsight is a wonderful tool KL.

My 'cudda wudda' came in the guise of a broker email to say that my price had been met at 580 but moved again before the trade could be executed. I've been trading ENTU and I took my eye off the ball.
I have Left the order open.
Carillion is now on my radar but the RI is complicating the math.

Betty, unless you are American, It's maths
2 users thanked Tyrion Lannister for this post.
Hank Elvis Dobbs (texan) on 23/08/2017(UTC), Freddy4Skin on 23/08/2017(UTC)
King Lodos
Posted: 23 August 2017 21:40:40(UTC)

Was thanked: 1960 time(s) in 816 post(s)
Big boy;50188 wrote:

You play to your advantages.

Most people shouldn't try this – because most people aren't cut out to be traders – but it's infinitely easier to trade a £10k account than it is to trade £100m.

If you take Neil Woodford's position in PFG (that just nose-dived) – why was it so easy for me to see that coming and get out (had I been in) than Neil?

Because I'm trading a small account .. I can close the position; open it again; change my mind; turn it into a short; etc. in a minute – at a cost of a few £pounds .. For Neil Woodford, there probably won't be enough people in the market to buy up his stake (at however many £million), so he's stuck with it.

It's like we're all on an Easter Egg hunt in New York City, and some of us are on jet-powered rollerblades, while guys like Neil are trying to navigate corners and bridges in giant articulated vehicles – kind of things Rio Tinto uses .. Which means fund managers have to make big, slow decisions and stick with them .. The only way they can compete with guys like us at all is by being MUCH better researched – but still, it's nearly impossible for them to do as well as a good trader with a small account

1 user thanked King Lodos for this post.
Tim D on 23/08/2017(UTC)
123 Pages«Previous page121122123
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets