Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Transactions
Micawber
Posted: 12 December 2017 08:35:27(UTC)

Was thanked: 2467 time(s) in 951 post(s)
Tug Boat;54172 wrote:

So looking for bargains at the mo.

Me too. For a risky one you may like to take a close look at OptiBiotix Health (OPTI) whose biome products are in the process of coming to market, where it seems to me that if good advertising campaigns by the retailers marketing them ensue then there is considerable scope for very wide sales (and OPTI have a finger in the manufacturing too, rather than just the patents). I hold a small stake on a two-year view. The structure is interesting as their product range grows and, if successful, is hived off.

On my watchlist is Venture Life Group (VLG), another AIM share, which has disappointed this year but which has a number of products marketed to the middle-aged health consumer. The disappointment may relate to their FX position (stronger Euro), with products made in Italy for marketing via other companies in UK, Ireland and elsewhere. I haven't taken another close look lately.
Keith Hilton
Posted: 12 December 2017 09:16:46(UTC)

Was thanked: 362 time(s) in 217 post(s)
Sold 20% of my VAL holding (again) at 4.25p - I'd set a limit order at 3.8p yesterday. I'll probably add to AGL, but might repurchase VAL, if the sp falls back.

Update: Sold another 20% of VAL at 4.5p. Rest is in for free now. :)
srg751
Posted: 12 December 2017 10:55:37(UTC)

Was thanked: 1090 time(s) in 538 post(s)
King Lodos;54167 wrote:
Remember, Warren Buffett (the most successful investor of all time) has never had to jump in and out of the market.

Imagine stocks like Unilever, Wells Fargo, REITs, falling hard and suddenly yielding 10% .. If you can buy a 10% future income, you buy it before it's bid back down to 3 or 4.

I always say income's an illusion, but it can make investing a lot simpler

What was that noise ?

"It was a penny dropping".

Oh, right.

( only fun Lodo ! Keep your hat on, but you get the gist).

It doesn't have to be 10% down to 3%, in my little world, I'm looking for, say, 3.5% down to 2%. It's still nearly double income ratios.
Keith Hilton
Posted: 12 December 2017 11:45:05(UTC)

Was thanked: 362 time(s) in 217 post(s)
Added to ANGLE (AGL), which is down slightly today, with the profit from selling part of my ValiRx (VAL) holding. VAL had a positive update on VAL401 phase II trial today and, in hindsight, I probably top-sliced a bit too soon, as sp is now 5.75p.
King Lodos
Posted: 12 December 2017 15:13:42(UTC)

Was thanked: 2580 time(s) in 1054 post(s)
srg751;54192 wrote:
King Lodos;54167 wrote:
Remember, Warren Buffett (the most successful investor of all time) has never had to jump in and out of the market.

Imagine stocks like Unilever, Wells Fargo, REITs, falling hard and suddenly yielding 10% .. If you can buy a 10% future income, you buy it before it's bid back down to 3 or 4.

I always say income's an illusion, but it can make investing a lot simpler

What was that noise ?

"It was a penny dropping".

Oh, right.

( only fun Lodo ! Keep your hat on, but you get the gist).

It doesn't have to be 10% down to 3%, in my little world, I'm looking for, say, 3.5% down to 2%. It's still nearly double income ratios.

It's how I started out – but it's *maybe* better bottom-of-the-market advice than top .. The financial crisis was when guys like Buffett and David Tepper bought up all the high-yielding financial stocks, preference shares, perpetuals, etc.

Buying 3% on something that might lose 50-60% is obviously not great advice – nor is buying a dividend yield that's not covered by an earnings yield .. So I think if you're going to do it now, you have to be more selective than ever – and I think like Joel Greenblatt, you want to be looking at earnings yield and return on capital, or finding growth areas (it's why I took a punt on European logistics – not the kind of thing I normally do, but I use online retail all the time and that's usually my best barometer)

1 user thanked King Lodos for this post.
Mickey on 12/12/2017(UTC)
Mr Helpful
Posted: 12 December 2017 15:47:22(UTC)

Was thanked: 413 time(s) in 207 post(s)
With the price drop have begun to reverse the outflow of monies from 3I Group (III) Private Equity,
just a touch as still seems quite fully valued IMHO.

Only other transaction this week so far ; continuing to build the position in New River Retail (NRR).
Seems reasonably priced and may increase weighting further on continued price weakness.
Certainly an unloved sector!!!

Anyone else have trouble with auto log-in today (Tuesday) ?

Update : Top-Sliced GCP Infrastructure Debt today (Wednesday).
Little uncertain about the valuation, but (our full) position is demonstrating a brisk tail-wind, which hope to be able to keep harvesting.
149 Pages«Previous page147148149
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets