Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Election
S_M
Posted: 12 June 2017 09:13:23(UTC)

Joined: 17/03/2011(UTC)
Posts: 448

Thanks: 51 times
Was thanked: 209 time(s) in 145 post(s)
jvl;47849 wrote:
S_M;47846 wrote:
.. in the EU we are talking about the largest trading block in the world right now

A trade bloc that's getting smaller with the departure of its second largest economy and is now being overtaken by China. One that is, I think, decreasing its share of world trade. One that used to be the world's largest economy but was overtaken by the US a few years ago. So going backwards...


It's all relative. If the Eurozone is shrinking as a trading block relative to China/US so is the UK. Look at the performance of European Smaller companies in comparison to the UK.

My point still stands, there is too much uncertainty in the UK to back smaller companies with any conviction.
jvl
Posted: 12 June 2017 10:54:13(UTC)

Joined: 01/04/2016(UTC)
Posts: 276

Thanks: 166 times
Was thanked: 307 time(s) in 138 post(s)
chazza;47850 wrote:
How any of that can be squared with the DUP's concern to keep an open border with the Irish Republic is anyone's guess...


Just some thoughts: there seems to be nothing stopping the UK allowing an open border unilaterally on its side, given some sort of agreement with Dublin to stop backdoor immigration/goods. Perhaps the borders could remain open while goods and people coming from Northern Ireland are checked if and when they cross to the rest of the UK?

That's all on our side, of course, being reasonable. Then it's just up to the EU to be reasonable too. Or look unreasonably intransigent...
Tyrion Lannister
Posted: 12 June 2017 18:09:21(UTC)

Joined: 03/03/2017(UTC)
Posts: 195

Thanks: 120 times
Was thanked: 117 time(s) in 78 post(s)
Drogue;47845 wrote:
To take a line from"Spartacus" -I don't support Jezza's economic policy, but concede that he ran a brilliant campaign - What was brilliant was offering the keys to the sweetshop to all and sundry without supporting evidence of ability to deliver. Corbyn is the latter-day Piper Piper of Hamelin leading us back into the '70s.



Corbyn did provide details of how he'd pay for the increased spending, how real the numbers were, who knows?

I don't remember seeing any detail about anything from May though.
Spartacus
Posted: 12 June 2017 18:34:26(UTC)

Joined: 13/06/2011(UTC)
Posts: 94

Thanks: 91 times
Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 35 post(s)
jvl;47855 wrote:
chazza;47850 wrote:
How any of that can be squared with the DUP's concern to keep an open border with the Irish Republic is anyone's guess...


Just some thoughts: there seems to be nothing stopping the UK allowing an open border unilaterally on its side, given some sort of agreement with Dublin to stop backdoor immigration/goods. .


Neither EU or Ireland will buy that - it goes against the "four freedoms" also does "Control UK Borders" mean outsourcing border control to a foreign state
Tyrion Lannister
Posted: 12 June 2017 18:39:28(UTC)

Joined: 03/03/2017(UTC)
Posts: 195

Thanks: 120 times
Was thanked: 117 time(s) in 78 post(s)
Spartacus;47871 wrote:
jvl;47855 wrote:
chazza;47850 wrote:
How any of that can be squared with the DUP's concern to keep an open border with the Irish Republic is anyone's guess...


Just some thoughts: there seems to be nothing stopping the UK allowing an open border unilaterally on its side, given some sort of agreement with Dublin to stop backdoor immigration/goods. .


Neither EU or Ireland will buy that - it goes against the "four freedoms" also does "Control UK Borders" mean outsourcing border control to a foreign state


Who knows? Everything is negotiable.
sandid3
Posted: 13 June 2017 01:07:01(UTC)

Joined: 18/02/2013(UTC)
Posts: 268

Thanks: 145 times
Was thanked: 286 time(s) in 126 post(s)
Tyrion Lannister;47872 wrote:
Everything is negotiable.

Exactly. But then are any of our masters in Westminster capable of passing the paper bag test?
1 user thanked sandid3 for this post.
Micawber on 13/06/2017(UTC)
Jon Snow
Posted: 13 June 2017 23:07:30(UTC)

Joined: 02/03/2014(UTC)
Posts: 1,056

Thanks: 739 times
Was thanked: 843 time(s) in 445 post(s)
In negotiations you have to be ready and able to walk away and say "no deal", because you have an alternative... we don't seem to have an alternative,
1 user thanked Jon Snow for this post.
Spartacus on 14/06/2017(UTC)
Spartacus
Posted: 14 June 2017 17:09:47(UTC)

Joined: 13/06/2011(UTC)
Posts: 94

Thanks: 91 times
Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Tyrion Lannister;47872 wrote:


Who knows? Everything is negotiable.


Not sure that placing the economic future of country on the back off "Who knows" is such a good tactic.

Tyrion Lannister
Posted: 14 June 2017 17:23:42(UTC)

Joined: 03/03/2017(UTC)
Posts: 195

Thanks: 120 times
Was thanked: 117 time(s) in 78 post(s)
Spartacus;47944 wrote:
Tyrion Lannister;47872 wrote:


Who knows? Everything is negotiable.


Not sure that placing the economic future of country on the back off "Who knows" is such a good tactic.



Erm...

I didn't actually say that.

It was who knows what the EU will agree to, and we won't know that until negotiations start.
8 Pages«Previous page678
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets