Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Vanguard fund
Will Morris
Posted: 03 June 2017 13:56:38(UTC)

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Can someone please help put me out of my misery here. I topped up my ISA with 6k cash (~10% of portfolio) several weeks ago with a view to invest in India. I felt I needed something like India to provide me with regional diversification. I've since dithered and subsequently been put off by the fact I can't find anything that excites me enough, and ended up being attracted to Vanguard Global Emerging Markets. It's a fairly new fund but performance looks good. The thing that puts me off is the size of it though at only £15m. Does anyone hold this or have any thoughts?

Many thanks for any input.
Keith Cobby
Posted: 03 June 2017 14:03:15(UTC)

Was thanked: 561 time(s) in 238 post(s)
That's a good question. I only invest in ITs and don't like very small (unviable) funds. Can somebody point to some research about the performance of very small funds against larger ones?
Mr Helpful
Posted: 03 June 2017 14:33:15(UTC)

Was thanked: 403 time(s) in 203 post(s)
On the IT front, perhaps take a look at :-

JEMI (JPM Emerging Markets Income).
Price chart not totally overbought when viewed from 3 to 5 years perspective.
Which is unusual in this generally frothy market !!!.
Steady 4%ish yield while waiting for any price activity.

No guarantees though !!!
As always DYOR.
1 user thanked Mr Helpful for this post.
Will Morris on 03/06/2017(UTC)
chubby bunny
Posted: 03 June 2017 16:35:17(UTC)

Was thanked: 217 time(s) in 101 post(s)
'The fund groups three traditional, bottom-up complementary managers – one growth-oriented, one style-neutral and one value-oriented – to deliver a core global emerging market
exposure.
' ( https://www.vanguard.co....merging-market-fund.pdf )

Those managers are Baillie Gifford (growth), Oaktree Capital Management (style neutral) and Pzena Investment Management (value).

Hadn't heard of the fund before. It's only been open for a year so it doesn't have enough of a track record for me to want to invest. It's outperformed the FTSE index by 6.6% and the MSCI index by 4%, but most of that occurred in November 2016 and since then it has performed very similarly to both indices. It's got a hefty 158 holdings, mostly in giant/large caps, and its top 10 is pretty much the same as the indices'.
2 users thanked chubby bunny for this post.
Will Morris on 03/06/2017(UTC), Guest on 04/06/2017(UTC)
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets