Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Fund choice for a new SIPP
S Dobbo
Posted: 23 February 2017 13:48:31(UTC)

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 58 post(s)
dlp6666;43612 wrote:

I'm not quite sure about the low volatility point.

Yes, on a total return basis, the chart and data look great.

But as far as I can see, the fund is only offered in an income-paying-out version, and the 'absolute' price has fallen quite 'jaggedly by about 9% over the last three years.

Not a problem if invested in an accumulation fund (which doesn't seem available in this case), but it looks like income would have to be continually reinvested to achieve the desired overall low volatility.

Or is there another (better) way of looking at this?

This is true, I automatically reinvest dividends so look at total return, the end result is the same to me. You do get a drop when the fund goes ex-div and the dividend is paid about 8 weeks after so you need to be aware of this. There accumulation is not available on II.

The fund risk score on Trustnet is 8, and 1 year volatility of 0.99 3 year of 1.32.
1 user thanked S Dobbo for this post.
dlp6666 on 24/02/2017(UTC)
banjofred
Posted: 24 February 2017 06:34:58(UTC)

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 65 post(s)
I am with HL. FTSE100 firm big premises, not an office above a chip shop in EC1.

Remember how you could save with confidence on Icelandic banks - 6.6% woo-hoo, till they went bust.

amazing when you read factsheets and recommendations, they will recommend funds that have declined.

I was previously big on Neil Woodward but he seems to have gone totally off the boil, increased my fund smith.

Troy trojan
various US trackers
dr pepper snapple group
still a bit of a couple of newton as i like to feel the pain of gradually losing money
legal and gen
liontrustlegg mason

best of all Pyrford Global

banjo
S Dobbo
Posted: 24 February 2017 08:49:55(UTC)

S Dobbo;43619 wrote:

This is true, I automatically reinvest dividends so look at total return, the end result is the same to me. You do get a drop when the fund goes ex-div and the dividend is paid about 8 weeks after so you need to be aware of this. There accumulation is not available on II.

The fund risk score on Trustnet is 8, and 1 year volatility of 0.99 3 year of 1.32.

One other point that's a bit of a pain is that it being income means that with a fairly large amount (100k) invested in a trading account you can easily use up your £5000 tax allowance just on that fund. It may even be worth selling a day before ex-div then repurchase after, of course you're using your CGT allowance up then?
1 user thanked S Dobbo for this post.
dlp6666 on 24/02/2017(UTC)
Mickey
Posted: 24 February 2017 10:29:23(UTC)

Was thanked: 264 time(s) in 136 post(s)
Shetland;43617 wrote:
Yes it does but I was looking for the accumulation version

Hi Shetland,
Apologies if I was unclear, I appreciated HL only offered the inc and that you were after the acc version but I was just suggesting that your platform may offer it for less than the minimum if you were to go direct. I hadn't noticed which platform you were with.

Mickey
dlp6666
Posted: 24 February 2017 10:50:59(UTC)

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 14 post(s)
banjofred;43652 wrote:

best of all Pyrford Global

Yes, I was looking at Pyrford Global Total Return [one in the HL Wealth 150!] and the yield on their most recent (31st January) factsheet is showing as 8.52%.

Surely too good to be true!
Shetland
Posted: 24 February 2017 17:29:41(UTC)

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 21 post(s)
This thread was originally concerning platform fees and portfolio spread but there has been a sie thread about what to do with uninvested cash and how to invest it safely to get some sort of return with out capital depreciation. I was thinking of starting a specific thread on this subject, would I get shot down in flames ??
4 users thanked Shetland for this post.
Keith Hilton on 24/02/2017(UTC), dyfed on 27/02/2017(UTC), dlp6666 on 27/02/2017(UTC), Cyrus Zaydan on 01/03/2017(UTC)
dyfed
Posted: 27 February 2017 11:17:42(UTC)

Was thanked: 324 time(s) in 151 post(s)
Shetland;43677 wrote:
This thread was originally concerning platform fees and portfolio spread but there has been a sie thread about what to do with uninvested cash and how to invest it safely to get some sort of return with out capital depreciation. I was thinking of starting a specific thread on this subject, would I get shot down in flames ??

good idea: go for it!
1 user thanked dyfed for this post.
dlp6666 on 27/02/2017(UTC)
S Dobbo
Posted: 27 February 2017 11:29:24(UTC)

dyfed;43772 wrote:
Shetland;43677 wrote:

good idea: go for it!

http://moneyforums.cityw...th-Uninvested-Cash.aspx
Tyrion Lannister
Posted: 03 March 2017 01:09:19(UTC)

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Briesmith;43184 wrote:
I'd be interested in hearing from people as to their justification for buying aggregators' products (funds and the like).

I am with HL and it seems to me that by buying into funds and other collections you are simply doubling the guessing that goes on.

If you like a particular fund it is surely because of the particular stocks they include, so why not just buy those stocks and be done with it?

Logically, it can only make sense to buy one fund can't it? I mean, the fund manager, acting within its chosen risk profile/envelope, is trying to balance the stocks held. Buying into several funds simply reiterates that balancing activity?

Holding cash similarly strikes me as pointless. If you are worried about a wipe out as in 2008 then invest it accordingly in contra wipe-out companies; ie stocks that do well when the economy crashes. Bookmakers, pubs, Poundland Aldi/Lidl and so on. Staying in cash must constitute a lack of imagination not sensible strategy surely? Better off buying gold as a last resort; it always returns to the mean, eventually

And PS, do people still pay other people to track the FTSE/Dow/DAX etc for them? Always seemed quite mad to me. It's so easy to do it yourself.

Briesmith;43184 wrote:
I'd be interested in hearing from people as to their justification for buying aggregators' products (funds and the like).

I am with HL and it seems to me that by buying into funds and other collections you are simply doubling the guessing that goes on.

If you like a particular fund it is surely because of the particular stocks they include, so why not just buy those stocks and be done with it?

Logically, it can only make sense to buy one fund can't it? I mean, the fund manager, acting within its chosen risk profile/envelope, is trying to balance the stocks held. Buying into several funds simply reiterates that balancing activity?

Holding cash similarly strikes me as pointless. If you are worried about a wipe out as in 2008 then invest it accordingly in contra wipe-out companies; ie stocks that do well when the economy crashes. Bookmakers, pubs, Poundland Aldi/Lidl and so on. Staying in cash must constitute a lack of imagination not sensible strategy surely? Better off buying gold as a last resort; it always returns to the mean, eventually

And PS, do people still pay other people to track the FTSE/Dow/DAX etc for them? Always seemed quite mad to me. It's so easy to do it yourself.

This is my first post on here, so first I'd like to say hi everybody!

I'm with HL too, and the simple reason I buy funds is that I don't have the expertise or time to research individual shares. In short, I'd rather choose fund managers I trust to do do the research for me.

I invest in several funds to diversify, I choose different funds primarily because of cap size and geography.

I'm relatively new to investing which is why I registered on here so I'm more than happy to see comments on this.
1 user thanked Tyrion Lannister for this post.
JMac on 05/03/2017(UTC)
5 Pages«Previous page345
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets