Share this page:
Stay connected:
Welcome to the Citywire Money Forums, where members share investment ideas and discuss everything to do with their money.

You'll need to log in or set up an account to start new discussions or reply to existing ones. See you inside!

Notification

Icon
Error

Parish notice: technical difficulties
Rich Harris (Citywire)
Posted: 24 August 2011 15:42:49(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi all. Some of you have noticed that the forums are behaving slightly oddly at present - a large number of comments have disappeared, and originating posters' names have been replaced with 'anonymous'.

Diagnosing the problem is beyond my expertise, but our IT department assure me everything should be resolved soon. I'll update this thread with any developments.

Bear with us!
Robert Court
Posted: 24 August 2011 15:49:02(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Rich,

Thank you.

Maybe you need to call in the parish priest to perform an exorcism!

So you want us to be 'bearish' and not 'bullish' for the time being?

Oh dear, nobody to laugh at my pathetic jokes but myself! ~sniff~
Rich Harris (Citywire)
Posted: 24 August 2011 19:38:57(UTC)

It looks like the IT priests have cast out whatever demons had taken possession of the forums - the bears can go back into hiding!
Anonymous Post
Posted: 24 August 2011 19:44:44(UTC)
Anonymous 1 needed this 'Off the Record'

Have asked for the two Economics/inflation/UK discussions to be put together into one as they should be, twice this month, but it has not happened.
Please ask your IT Dept to look into that.
Thank you

Prof Eman
Rich Harris (Citywire)
Posted: 25 August 2011 09:33:14(UTC)

Prof Eman - apologies, we didn't see that request. We get a lot of comments in the forums and on news articles (198 yesterday, and it's the quietest time of the year for us!) so it's not possible to read all of them despite our best efforts. If you need to get in touch with us then money@citywire.co.uk is the quickest route, or support@citywire.co.uk for technical problems.

It's not possible to merge threads using our current forum software, but I've disabled further comments on the smaller thread and added a notice directing people to the larger one. Hope this helps!
Graham Barlow
Posted: 25 August 2011 18:34:47(UTC)

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I am amazed at the intelligent ,brainy people who read my offerings. They remind me of some of my old school masters, full of their own self importance and always convinced they were right. I can remember having a copy of "The Big Sleep" by Raymond Chandler being snatched away, and thrown into the waste paper basket in an English lesson. He ,the master describing it as disgusting pulp fiction unfit for a grammar school boy. To-day, of course it is recognised as classic modern american literature. It is curious what tricks play on people. We are all entitled to make our offerings without personal criticism.,and what may appear an outlandish view, can quite often turn out to be the truth, however much people dislike it.
Jeremy Bosk
Posted: 26 August 2011 02:09:38(UTC)

Was thanked: 213 time(s) in 128 post(s)
Graham Barlow

I have had similar experiences with objections to my choice of reading matter from teachers, public library staff, relatives and all sorts. Usually it was some prat telling me that I would not understand the book, the book was only for grown ups, the book was filthy / disgusting / indecent and no they had not actually read it. The second favourite was that I could not possibly have read the book in question either at all or thoroughly because it took the prat X days longer.

I remember a very supercilious librarian telling eight year old me that I could not have read "Of gods and men" by Rex Warner and "White Eagles Over Serbia" by Lawrence Durrell in one afternoon sitting in the sun outside the library. She picked the books up and questioned me along the lines of "Who was Hermes? What was his job? Who were his father and mother?". Defeated on that she asked me to describe the Durrell Book. I gave a summary of the characters, the plot, wartime Serbian politics and so on. Being almost as stubborn as me, she opened the book, read a passage and asked me what happened next. As I began to tell her, the other librarians could no longer contain themselves and burst out laughing. After that the dim witted one always made sure that someone else stamped my books.

I try to remember that experience of polite good manners and patience triumphing over arrogant power whenever I am tempted to simply hurl abuse at idiots on Citywire or elsewhere.

Sometimes other people are right and I am wrong. Sometimes I defend a poor argument too long... but not often :-).
+ Reply to discussion

Markets

Other markets